The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm scared

+4
kirk
Caihlem
Cornelia
Luka_09
8 posters

Go down

I'm scared Empty I'm scared

Post by Luka_09 October 15th 2008, 3:29 pm

A couple a days ago on my forum is beginning to come some guests from US (district of Columbia, Washington), and 1 guest with no details of his/her IP adress (on ipgetinfo), and they are all day on my forum doing nothing, may I be worried, concerned about it? I'm sooo scared. ...
Luka_09
Luka_09
Forumember

Male Posts : 94
Language : CRO

Back to top Go down

I'm scared Empty Re: I'm scared

Post by Cornelia October 16th 2008, 2:56 am

These guests might be search engine bots who are there to index your forum in search engines.

Google, Yahoo and MSN aren't the only search engine bots. For example, phpBB3 (the real one, not the FM one) has a special group named "Bots" where more than 50 trustworthy search engine bots and crawlers with their IP addresses are indexed, and special features are coded regarding their accesses.
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 4763
Language : I'M NOT A TECHIE OR A MOD, SO QUIT SENDING ME PMS FOR TECHIE STUFF OR LOST PASSWORDS !!!

http://ishimaru-design.servhome.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem October 16th 2008, 8:23 am

We got a distinguishment for Bots in the Who'se Online, but you can choose to not have that distinguishment in which case they'll be noted on as guests Wink
Caihlem
Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk October 22nd 2008, 6:04 am

Luka_09 wrote:A couple a days ago on my forum is beginning to come some guests from US (district of Columbia, Washington), and 1 guest with no details of his/her IP adress (on ipgetinfo), and they are all day on my forum doing nothing, may I be worried, concerned about it? I'm sooo scared. ...

whaaa.. lol
whats there to be scared about?
as long as you have all your forums set for members only then they can not view your forum. if you want just set the new registrations for you to approve. this way if you see an ip coming from somewhere you dont like. then dont accept them.
you can even put it in the ip block list b/f they even try to register. if it's not a bot and someone.

other then that if not doing anything wrong. then there's nothing to worry about.
bots are bots . but they cant get in your forum either unless you have all your boards open for guest and all to see.

hope that sooths things a Lil Smile
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SophieDophs October 22nd 2008, 1:27 pm

... this way if you see an ip coming from somewhere you dont like. then dont accept them.
I didn't know that the IP of a new member applicant is sent to Admin. Are you sure? Where is this info in the "you have a new member to approve" email?
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by katanga November 10th 2008, 10:22 pm

Caihlem wrote:We got a distinguishment for Bots in the Who'se Online, but you can choose to not have that distinguishment in which case they'll be noted on as guests Wink

exactly, thats probably the case

nothin 2 be scared bout
katanga
katanga
Forumember

Language : English, Farsi, and some French
Location : Somewhere between somewhere and somewhere. A hint: it's close to somewhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon November 11th 2008, 12:35 am

why would you be scared that someone is viewing your forum? isn't that the point of having one?
Brandon
Brandon
Forumember

Male Posts : 361
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by Early Cuyler November 11th 2008, 12:39 am

its Barack Obama

hes posting for change
Early Cuyler
Early Cuyler