The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you find the DNS and complete the configuration of my new Domain Name?

3 posters

Go down

How do you find the DNS and complete the configuration of my new Domain Name? Empty How do you find the DNS and complete the configuration of my new Domain Name?

Post by HEMISFEAR October 31st 2008, 2:44 am

I don't understand this :

Configuration of an external domain name.

When you choose the sub-domain which you wish to use on your forum (forum.my_domain, for example, is a sub-domain of my_domain), you have to create the corresponding CNAME entrance in the DNS administrator of your domain: a CNAME entrance allows to point an url towards the other one in a transparent way. in this way, you can link forum.my_domain to adress.my_forum.

Any recorder of domains names possesses different interfaces, and thus different methods to create such CNAME.
However, in a general way, the process takes place as follows:

* Connect to your user account on the site of your domain name provider, and go to the DNS management.
* Check that the chosen sub-domain is not already used.
* In the generally entitled field "source", "origin", or "alias" enter the prefix of sub-domain (i.e. "Forum" if you want to use the sub-domain forum.my_domain).
* In the generally entitled field "destination" or " target host ", enter the original url of your forum, adress.my_forum.
* You will maybe have to inform the TTL (Time To Live): give the maximal possible value.

After validation, you should obtain a line of this type:

-----I don't care to use my temporary forum name anymore, but some members registered while I used it..now that I have purchased my personal domain name...do I have to do what it says above? How do I create the corresponding CName blah blah blah? Or do I even have to? Confused... :/

Also I changed my old temporary name so that it more closely resembled my new personalized domain name...now it seems the newly changed original name is the default!!!???? I need to have my personalized and purchased domain name as the ONE....if the temporary still works that's fine with me...but I need to know if the existing members won't have a problem accessing my personalized domain name now that I tried to change my old temporary one lol....whew Lol

Last edited by HEMISFEAR on October 31st 2008, 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
HEMISFEAR
HEMISFEAR
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

How do you find the DNS and complete the configuration of my new Domain Name? Empty Re: How do you find the DNS and complete the configuration of my new Domain Name?

Post by I pluck the cherry October 31st 2008, 2:46 am

um, me either blackeye
I pluck the cherry
I pluck the cherry
Forumember

Female Posts : 112
Language : Lock until someone request

Back to top Go down

How do you find the DNS and complete the configuration of my new Domain Name? Empty Re: How do you find the DNS and complete the configuration of my new Domain Name?

Post by HEMISFEAR November 1st 2008, 2:40 am

Harro? Anyone there? I can't find the explanation to this text in the forum software.
HEMISFEAR
HEMISFEAR
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by spiritcharms November 1st 2008, 10:48 pm

All this is confusing for me too. i have my own domain name which i want to use on my forum, i have followed the tutorial where it says to type in my forums addy in my host name provider. trouble is, it doesnt have a box like that,

How do you find the DNS and complete the configuration of my new Domain Name? 21011

just DNS setting (im with 123reg) and this cname panel thing.which looks like this

How do you find the DNS and complete the configuration of my new Domain Name? Screen17

At the moment im having to use non framed web forwarding to get my domain to point to my forum, but this isnt the right way to do. if i use framed forwarding, i just get my domain name of every page which isnt right either as i dont get Spiritcharms.co.uk/portal (for instance) i just get spiritcharms.co.uk on everypage no matter what. I want to know how do i tell my domain name to point to my forum, so that i can then put in my co.uk in my admin panel on my forum so i get all my page links

How do you find the DNS and complete the configuration of my new Domain Name? 41011
spiritcharms
spiritcharms
Forumember

Female Posts : 289

http://spiritcharms.nice-topics.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by spiritcharms November 5th 2008, 9:37 pm

bump Very Happy
spiritcharms
spiritcharms
Forumember

Female Posts : 289

http://spiritcharms.nice-topics.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down