The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone use Firebug to find errors in thier site code?

+4
Jalokim
Brandon
lilypad
Doctor Inferno
8 posters

Go down

Anyone use Firebug to find errors in thier site code? Empty Anyone use Firebug to find errors in thier site code?

Post by Guest January 13th 2009, 15:21

On another site we are on we are having problems with a couple things, so one of us used firebug to find errors. What we found was alarming and it turns out no errors were are fault but Forumotions!

Take a look:
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Anyone use Firebug to find errors in thier site code? Empty Re: Anyone use Firebug to find errors in thier site code?

Post by Guest January 13th 2009, 15:32

I too use firebug and usually get similar results to you.

Back to top Go down

Anyone use Firebug to find errors in thier site code? Empty Re: Anyone use Firebug to find errors in thier site code?

Post by Doctor Inferno January 13th 2009, 15:57

No errors from Firebug for my site - or is there something wrong with my Firebug?

Looks like there is a whole lot of junk in the CSS?
Doctor Inferno
Doctor Inferno
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1331
Language : GeekPolice

http://www.GeekPolice.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest January 13th 2009, 15:59

Doctor Inferno wrote:No errors from Firebug for my site - or is there something wrong with my Firebug?

Looks like there is a whole lot of junk in the CSS?

I just tried it on a site with no text in a css and got almost the same reading.

Back to top Go down

Post by lilypad January 13th 2009, 17:42

No, but I will try it. I've used a different one and found a few, tried to correct them. LOL!
lilypad
lilypad
Forumember

Female Posts : 305
Language : english

http://www.realfreestuffforall.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon February 22nd 2009, 06:01

Seems pointless
Brandon
Brandon
Forumember

Male Posts : 361
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by Jalokim February 22nd 2009, 13:14

When using Adobe Dreamweaver for web design... and editing forumotion themes ... i often scan the scripts with the built in debugger. The exact same bugs appear. But in dreamweaver it describes which browsers are effected.

Internet Explorer 5 and lower doesn't recognize a load of CSS script, including minus codes and z-index. And a whole lot more.
The scan only shows that your forum won't work as great on older version browsers. IE6, all firefoxes and safari's will work perfectly. Opera might have a few problems but not as dramatic as IE.
Every webdesigner knows what IE fix means and does to people.
Jalokim
Jalokim
Energetic

Male Posts : 6113
Language : English,Polish,CSS,HTML

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelia February 22nd 2009, 13:27

It depends of the version you use. You're likely to find more errors with a longer CSS.

I'm more used in using the Web Developer extension than the Firebug extension. The WD tool allows you to directly validate your Web pages' XHTML and CSS via options available in the toolbar. You can also directly view the CSS with another shortcut, and you have a lot more features (disable shortcuts, cookies, css, forms, images, informations, etc.)

The CSS code contains some invalid properties, such as the scrollbar properties who are Microsoft-made and come from phpBB2's times, and those CSS hacks who are meant to correct IE5/IE6's poor style management. And when there are transparent colors, we simply see "#" instead of transparent who is a valid value.
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 4763
Language : I'M NOT A TECHIE OR A MOD, SO QUIT SENDING ME PMS FOR TECHIE STUFF OR LOST PASSWORDS !!!

http://ishimaru-design.servhome.org

Back to top Go down

Post by RikaComet February 22nd 2009, 14:02

i know this is offtopic but how can a guest post or start a new topic here without registering?
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1536
Language : English , Hindi , Arabic , Urdu, Japenese , Punjabi , German

Back to top Go down

Post by kjmj14 February 22nd 2009, 14:06

You just need to go over your forum permission, then check all the settings you want for your forum.
kjmj14
Forumember

Male Posts : 795
Language : English

http://kjmj14.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RikaComet February 22nd 2009, 14:08

i was talking about... are guest allowed to post here at support forum?
do they have permissions... i doubt that they don't~
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jalokim February 22nd 2009, 15:00

RikaComet wrote:i know this is offtopic but how can a guest post or start a new topic here without registering?

look at the date
by Guest on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:21 pm
you have plenty time to ban and delete a member from here
Jalokim
Jalokim
Energetic

Male Posts : 6113
Language : English,Polish,CSS,HTML

Back to top Go down

Post by RikaComet February 22nd 2009, 17:45

shouldn't this thread be locked then...why revive it~~
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Luky February 22nd 2009, 19:11

Indeed this topic should have been locked and it is from now on. Guests are not allowed to post on the support forum . A member posted this then his account was deleted Wink Topic locked
Luky
Luky
Energetic

Male Posts : 6106
Language : Romanian, English

Back to top Go down