The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to extend the border line between post body and profile area

2 posters

Go down

How to extend the border line between post body and profile area Empty How to extend the border line between post body and profile area

Post by Brad38 February 5th 2009, 2:08 pm

Hi Folks,

I am trying to extend the line that separates the body of a post with the profile itself. Right now I do have a line that separates the two, but it doesn't go from the top right down to the bottom of the post. Any suggestions?

I think it has something to do with this code:

Code:
.postprofile {
color: #00324c;
margin: 5px 0 0px 0;
min-height: 80px;
border-right-style: solid;
border-right-width: 2px;
border-color: #8DB1C9;
width: 22%;
float: left;
display: inline;
}

I can't however seem to find what part of the element controls how long the dividing line is.

Thanks for any help as always. Smile
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Male Posts : 667
Language : english

http://pigeonchat.forumakers.com/

Back to top Go down

How to extend the border line between post body and profile area Empty Re: How to extend the border line between post body and profile area

Post by Guest February 5th 2009, 2:20 pm

min-height: 80px;

Back to top Go down

How to extend the border line between post body and profile area Empty Re: How to extend the border line between post body and profile area

Post by Brad38 February 5th 2009, 2:34 pm

Hi Dungeon Master,

Ok, what should this be changed to then?
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 5th 2009, 2:37 pm

That is the problem because we can set it at a number and it could look good but if someone makes a long post it wont go the whole length of the long post.

I dont know if you would add: repeat !important after it would help.

min-height: 80px repeat !important;

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 February 5th 2009, 2:41 pm

Hi Dungeon Master...nope that didn't work. In fact, any number I put in there has no effect at all.
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 5th 2009, 2:55 pm

hmm strange. Sorry thought that was it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 February 12th 2009, 11:51 am

*bump*...anyone, any advice or CSS help? Smile
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Jalokim February 12th 2009, 1:24 pm

I don't understand what you want here...
i'm a little slow today... a screenshot with those fancy arrows showing me what to do...please
Jalokim
Jalokim
Energetic

Male Posts : 6113
Language : English,Polish,CSS,HTML

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 February 12th 2009, 2:28 pm

Hi Jalokim Smile

Here is a snapshot of what I mean:

How to extend the border line between post body and profile area Exampl19

The red arrow is pointing to the line I would like to increase the length of. I would prefer the line to go from the very top of the post body to the very bottom, but if this can't be done then I would just like it to stretch down further and when there is a longer post. It only goes so far down the page with longer posts.

Thank you Smile
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Jalokim February 12th 2009, 3:27 pm

well the class that changes this is
Code:
.postprofile {
but i don't think that you can extend the line from top to bottom.

try adding:
height: 100%;

to that class... but its not gonna work.
I know how to get a similar effect... a bit more work but it'll work.

First you'd need to change your profile part into a fixed with... lets say 200 pixels.. then you need to make an image that is 203 pixels wide and make it trasparent with only a small line on the side. Then you'd give the post container that image on repeat-y which will span 100% of your post///

If method 1 doesn't work and you really want that line...
Just reply and tell me which side your profile is on... (ok I'm an idiot, its on the left ...just like in the pic above) and I'd give you the static code for profile and image code for the post container
Jalokim
Jalokim
Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 February 12th 2009, 4:32 pm

Hi Jalokim,

Thanks for the response and how to. I think I understand but I'm not sure I would want my post profile area a fixed width or not. Also, I'm not sure where I would add the picture in the post container of the CSS.

Yes, the height at 100% doesn't work.

I'll think on this some more and get back to you! Smile Thanks Smile
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Jalokim February 12th 2009, 7:35 pm

I can do it for you.. all you'll do is paste the code
Jalokim
Jalokim
Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 February 13th 2009, 7:42 am

Jalokim wrote:I can do it for you.. all you'll do is paste the code

Hi Jalokim,

This is very nice of you!!!! Very Happy:) Thanks, let me think on it some more and if I want to go this route just to have a line there. I'm a little worried about having a fixed width profile section and I'm also worried it might mess up my Online indicator that I've finally got to show up on the left side of the profile. It was on the right hand side previously and somehow I managed to fix it by myself, probably with improper coding or by fluke, lol!
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Back to top Go down