The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edit templates of PHPbb3

3 posters

Go down

Edit templates of PHPbb3 Empty Edit templates of PHPbb3

Post by puneet February 21st 2009, 6:42 am

Is there anyway by which templates of phpbb3 can be edit..
phpbb3 is just awesome but i m not able t find a way to edit templates.

Please help me..

Thnx in advance
puneet
Forumember

Male Posts : 42
Language : english

Back to top Go down

Edit templates of PHPbb3 Empty Re: Edit templates of PHPbb3

Post by ParadiseKid February 21st 2009, 6:47 am

Sorry, the only version that can has template editing is phpBB2. You cannot edit the template of any other version.
ParadiseKid
ParadiseKid
Forumember

Male Posts : 284
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 21st 2009, 7:16 am

phpBB2 needs templates because almost no DOM nodes were defined. It is old code.

phpBB3 was a complete re-write of phpBB2. DOM nodes were defined in virtually all parts of the code. DOM nodes can be manipulated through CSS. You would be amazed at how much you can customize a phpBB3 forum using just CSS. There are countless things you can manipulate via CSS in phpBB3 that require the purchase of template editing in phpBB2. Don't believe it? Move your mouse to my profile and watch what happens. (Note to all, the code I used to do this is hidden, so you'll need to reply to this topic to see what I'm talking about.)

It would be great if forumotion offered the ability to change the text that is displayed. For example, I personally can't stand the :: separator and would change it to >>. I would also rewrite the text in Who is Online. I would be happy to pay for that ability. Such a feature should be fairly easy to implement.

But I'm not expecting phpBB2-style template editing to ever happen, not because forumotion can't or won't do it, but because offering such an ability would not be cost-effective. I'd guess that if the development cost were passed along, it would come close to the cost of leasing space on a dedicated server. At that point I'd download phpBB3 and start from scratch.

Back to top Go down

Post by puneet February 21st 2009, 9:06 am

Please explain me ...i m not a programmer...its amazing.
puneet
Forumember

Male Posts : 42
Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by ParadiseKid February 21st 2009, 9:59 am

phpBB3 forums do not have template editing. Only phpBB2 forums have template editing. There's nothing else to explain that will answer your question.
ParadiseKid
ParadiseKid
Forumember

Male Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post by CloNe March 2nd 2009, 7:51 am

interesting... ill be switching to phpbb3
CloNe

Back to top Go down