The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earth Hour 2009

+7
Christos
RikaComet
magicm00n
moogirl1989
Tarogasini
ImProviser
Aftermath
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Taking Part?

Earth Hour 2009 Left1165%Earth Hour 2009 Right11 65% 
[ 11 ]
Earth Hour 2009 Left1135%Earth Hour 2009 Right11 35% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 17

Earth Hour 2009 Empty Earth Hour 2009

Post by Aftermath March 18th 2009, 11:47 am

How many of you are taking part in Earth Hour 2009. March 29 from 8:30PM - 9:30PM (local time)?

If you're not, why not? - You should be.

If you haven't yet signed up, please do so. Anyone can, regardless of age (if you're under 18, simply uncheck the box that says you are).
Click here to sign up, now!

Earth Hour 2009 468x6010
Aftermath
Aftermath
Forumember

Male Posts : 58
Language : English

http://teenworldwide.roflforum.net/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Earth Hour 2009 Empty Re: Earth Hour 2009

Post by ImProviser March 18th 2009, 1:48 pm

I already joined... I will participate for sure Wink This is really important idea and feels like we can make difference with this... Please do not flame this topic, if you have negative opinion about this then skip this topic.
ImProviser
ImProviser
Forumember

Male Posts : 617
Language : Serbian, English, Deutsch

http://www.team-xenon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarogasini March 18th 2009, 4:16 pm

First of all i have no idea what this project is and what it wants from me. I went on the site and saw only useless information and 1 useless video that told me nothing.

Only when going here i understood, but i am still not prepared to participate. If i need my light i am gonna turn it on no matter the possible 3rd world war outside. And if i will "participate" i will pick an hour when the sun is shinning and i dont need lights anyway.

And i voted no.
Tarogasini
Tarogasini
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1351

Back to top Go down

Post by moogirl1989 March 19th 2009, 11:45 pm

Tarogasini wrote:First of all i have no idea what this project is and what it wants from me. I went on the site and saw only useless information and 1 useless video that told me nothing.

Only when going here i understood, but i am still not prepared to participate. If i need my light i am gonna turn it on no matter the possible 3rd world war outside. And if i will "participate" i will pick an hour when the sun is shinning and i dont need lights anyway.

And i voted no.
I voted no for the same reason.
moogirl1989
moogirl1989

Language : english/spanish

Back to top Go down

Post by magicm00n March 20th 2009, 10:31 am

Tarogasini wrote:First of all i have no idea what this project is and what it wants from me. I went on the site and saw only useless information and 1 useless video that told me nothing.

And i voted no.

Wow, That was a straight forward answer. Razz
As for me, I might be taking part in this. Voted Yes!
magicm00n
magicm00n
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1305

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftermath March 20th 2009, 10:37 am

I don't see why you wouldn't take part. It's for one hour. One hour of darkness.

Why not play cards by candlelight with the family? or toast marshmallows over a fire in the backyard? Seems like a hell of a lot of fun, and it's even more fun when the entire neighborhood is in darkness.
Aftermath
Aftermath
Forumember

Male Posts : 58

http://teenworldwide.roflforum.net/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by RikaComet March 20th 2009, 10:41 am

moogirl1989 wrote:

And i voted no.

hey there you..two.. i think you have seen this in the wrong context...

Earth Day is actually a Bi-event ..meaning it happens two times in the year... it was started by a Nobel laureate peace activist by the name of John McConnell in 1969

People turn there lights off ... for 1 hour just one hour.. to show there concern for environment...the world is heating up..bit by bit..the polar caps are melting every year
...this shows are commitment for a cleaner future...ITS A HUMANITARIAN EFFORT so da if your not participating well don't but don't say something like that... whether world war 3 or watever never happens...in our times but it can in the future in the times of our children..they will face difficulties..because of us... and i won't let that happen... One can insult me, even slap me,even make fun of me....but I won't allow anything to happen to the future we all believe in...a future for the whole of humanity is my concern...

see this wiki article instead... wiki article

And personally i know you didn't meant any wrong taro.. and maybe your english is not so good..but pls watch how you put those words..i m not insulting you but as a fellow friend tryin to give you a good advice.. don't take my words in a bad way but try to understand wat I'm tryin to say...
I also see wat ur tryin to say... but still ~
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1536
Language : English , Hindi , Arabic , Urdu, Japenese , Punjabi , German

Back to top Go down

Post by Christos March 20th 2009, 12:43 pm

indeed i am taking part. took part last year as well!
Christos
Christos
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1238
Language : English,French,Greek,Luxembourgish

http://misery.in-goo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarogasini March 20th 2009, 1:42 pm

I have to disagree with you. HOW i am showing my concern for environment with turning the lights off for 1 hour ? Plus, lights arent even the main consumer of electricity. At this moment, i dont have not even 1 light turned on. I dont see the commitment in this project. I am showing my commitment for turning off lights as soon as i no longer need them, turning off the TV when i stop watching it, not leaving my computer working 24 hours per day ( ok sometimes, i am DL freak ), "separating" the garbage ( glass, paper, plastic ) and encouraging others to do the same... I am mostly independent and i do what i like to do. I dont care about traditions or preferred ways of other people. I do what i feel like. If i need that light, i am gonna turn that light on.

Summary : basically, i am doing all i can for this planet already. I also suspect that a lot of people will sign up to this project, turned off the lights at that 1 hour and then "forgot" and left lights ON in all rooms or something... And later they will be bragging how they helped. Yea.

Lol, you are serious with your last sentence ? It is already too late. No matter this or 100 more projects like this, nothing will change. World is corrupted and unless all people on entire world unite - nothing will change. I am not saying "leave it as it is" or "let the planet die", but we know all this for many years. Did we, the humans, change anything in all those years ?

I hope you see where i am going with all this...

And i think future will be bad, either way you turn it. I will probably get killed in rebellion against the government, fighting for human rights and against corruption power.
Tarogasini
Tarogasini
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by moogirl1989 March 20th 2009, 1:43 pm

RikaComet wrote:
moogirl1989 wrote:

And i voted no.

hey there you..two.. i think you have seen this in the wrong context...

Earth Day is actually a Bi-event ..meaning it happens two times in the year... it was started by a Nobel laureate peace activist by the name of John McConnell in 1969

People turn there lights off ... for 1 hour just one hour.. to show there concern for environment...the world is heating up..bit by bit..the polar caps are melting every year
...this shows are commitment for a cleaner future...ITS A HUMANITARIAN EFFORT so da if your not participating well don't but don't say something like that... whether world war 3 or watever never happens...in our times but it can in the future in the times of our children..they will face difficulties..because of us... and i won't let that happen... One can insult me, even slap me,even make fun of me....but I won't allow anything to happen to the future we all believe in...a future for the whole of humanity is my concern...

see this wiki article instead... wiki article

And personally i know you didn't meant any wrong taro.. and maybe your english is not so good..but pls watch how you put those words..i m not insulting you but as a fellow friend tryin to give you a good advice.. don't take my words in a bad way but try to understand wat I'm tryin to say...
I also see wat ur tryin to say... but still ~
I gave up believing the "green" movement when a speaker on the subject turned up in a convoy of jeep 5.8 litre suv's , when they practice what they preach I might start to take notice.
moogirl1989
moogirl1989

Language : english/spanish

Back to top Go down

Earth Hour 2009 Empty YES WE CAN

Post by Christos March 21st 2009, 1:00 am

Look of course... Everyone is thinking like that...
Because of the climate change... Ok right let me explain something...

We are still on the very End of an Ice Age

Antartica and the North Pole are still covered of Ice , all year Around, that means a big percentage of the Earth Surface is covered by Ice. [! remember that]

Floating water makes the ice sheets move faster and melt faster .

Climate Change

Because Of the Climate going hotter and warmer, the Ice of the North pole which gets more heat than Antarctica , melts, fresh water which flows into the sea (water from the glacier) doesn't allow the stream of water from the Gulf Stream In Mexico to "hit" in Europes borders (UK) and maker Europe warmer, so europe goes colder.

At the same time this warm water which the conveyer has changed direction from Gulf stream to UK , now go from Gulf Stream, souther to the coast of Africa where it is already hot , creating dry summers, wild changes and warmers winters !
Like that Rainforests will dissapears, All BIOMES ( big ecosystems) will be destroyed... the point is ( next paragraph )

When will it happen?

Some say , in 20 years, most say in 50 , I say in 200 years.
Why? We don't believe at it, we don't encourage people to do it. Tarogasini for example thinks that he is doing what he can, we you are not the world, someone alse consumes not only what he consumes but 100 times more, or less.
The thing is to learn, to see how important we are, how important is life, and then, only then you will understand why do that.
EARTH hour brings people together, makes us realize what we are about to Destroy, and this is why it is important to SWITCH OFF the lights on 28 MARS 2009, 8.30 PM local time.
Its a start, then people will do that everyday, before leaving their homes, before going for Holidays, until its made a tradition.. But if from the start we are not positive, then what do you expect?

This is were we have to show our Power! our human power! VOTE EARTH 2009.

Article written by Christos Floros, S5Ela
Organisateur de EARTH HOUR 2009 , Luxembourg , ESL
(c) http://earthhour2009lux.wordpress.com/
Christos
Christos
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarogasini March 21st 2009, 1:48 pm

Well, i am already aware of all this as i have stated before.

Its a start, then people will do that everyday, before leaving their homes, before going for Holidays, until its made a tradition..
I simply do not need that kind of stimulation.

28 MARS 2009
Shouldnt it be March ?

And like i said ( and some people i talked to agree ) - lights ARE NOT biggest consumer of energy in our homes.
Tarogasini
Tarogasini
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by magicm00n March 21st 2009, 1:57 pm

Tarogasini wrote:lights ARE NOT biggest consumer of energy in our homes.

True.
magicm00n
magicm00n
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1305

Back to top Go down

Post by RikaComet March 21st 2009, 2:54 pm

well i kinda understand wat christos is trying to say..and I know... Taro your situation is different.. but only one thing i disagree with you on...
its well you said nothin will happen and all that
HOW i am showing my concern for environment with turning the lights off for 1 hour ? Plus, lights arent even the main consumer of electricity. At this moment, i dont have not even 1 light turned on

It doesn't matter.. whether you do it or not... whether is just 1-2 hours ...wat matters is that... that your wrong thinkin that nothing will happen and all that... yeah i don't know wat maybe your circumstances are...
but i see a bit unmotivated side of you ...not so hopefull with your life you are..well thats in way being practical...but wat I'm tryin to say is

This Campaign shows human commitment.. to stand together not just to save earth from global heating...but from other things too ... ITS DOING SOMETHING TOGETHER As Humans! One can't always think yeah someone guy will come and change the whole thing i don't need to do a thing why should i ?

don't think about die 'n man u should be a bit more optimistic with life ...unless we stand for our self we wont achieve anything... don't give up hope is the moral here...

I respect your views..its just maybe we have different takes on life..our circumstances are different and our lives are world apart.. so its natural we disagree on this topic...

well ok contribute... in watever you way you like ...I'm happy either way...

on numerical norms ... last year energy worth 5Billion was saved but its nothin compared from the whole world point of you.. but wat matters is people from across the globe from Australia, America, India, Germany, Japan, England...etc participated in it ...

I myself wasn't a participant last year honestly... but this doesn't mean i had a change of heart... NO ... I just thought " well if I turn my home's light off for just one hour and it results into something good... wh shouldn't I? " its Cool to be part of something good...its all about doing good things
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Pacific March 21st 2009, 5:32 pm

Of course, I will participate!
Pacific
Pacific
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1736
Language : Greek, English, French
Location : Exams finished... going to do as much reviews as I can

Back to top Go down

Post by Christos March 22nd 2009, 3:39 pm

Taro , you are an exeption.. You do care.. But you are a minority. Most people dont give ..a "you know.." about it.. and 1 hour could make a difference . A small difference.. which is still.. a difference Smile
Christos
Christos
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarogasini March 22nd 2009, 5:16 pm

RikaComet : your post certainly has a point, no doubt about that. I can only say : we need more people like you. More people dedicated to the environment and doing something good for humanity. Thats a tribute to you.

A small addition here :
don't think about die 'n man u should be a bit more optimistic with life ...unless we stand for our self we wont achieve anything...
Thats exactly why i will probably die young. For standing out for myself.

Christos : agreed.

Good day to both.
Tarogasini
Tarogasini
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RikaComet March 22nd 2009, 6:41 pm

I'm happy that you understood taro...i wish for your long life ...i can't say much for I have not been in your conditions...well parents just give us flesh but its our circumstances that make us humans...

All i can say is Allah na kare(meaning: god may not) but if you die
fighting for wat you deserve for wat is right than your not dying... your a martyr... plus i wish to help you in another way ...You may have heard about Gandhi ...many people have but even if you don't he was a guy who fought for wats right but not using voilence but NON-Voilence was his weapon ... he is remembered as father of nation here in India...
here's a quick reference on him... Taro I personally feel you should read about him a bit... officially slumdog millioniare is the first Indian content film to win oscars but it was film on Gandhi that swept the oscars in 1984
even though i know a lot about him i still wanna know a lot about him he was that great of a man ...
He is also known for fighting for south african people

Link -- here

note: i have used red just once to highlight
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Christos March 22nd 2009, 9:13 pm

I saw the movie , some days ago in FILMNET (aka Novacinema...) , about Gandhi.. i am an emotional guy, touched me. I agree non violence was his weapon.. Now with the web non - violence is no difference than violence.. see all those "non-violent" people who scream in the small boxes everyday in the TV...

Everything has lost its sence.. our times.. At least lets give Earth some breath in 6 days from today! Lets support it Smile

Rika-Christo-Taro Alliance :p

Maybe ...

All I know
Time is a valuable thing
Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
Watch it count down to the end of the day
The clock ticks life away

Why?

I tried so hard and got so far
But in the end it doesn't even matter
I had to fall to lose it all
But in the end it doesn't even matter

Why should we wait until we will loose everything.. and fall and destroy ourselfs.. to understand? Why don't we take Action now?
Stupid that we are..

(c) Lyrics by Linkin Park - In the End
Christos
Christos
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Christos March 26th 2009, 12:17 am

Take Action! fulfill this post with replies! lets join the movement! Smile
Christos
Christos
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Christos March 28th 2009, 11:03 pm

So tell us, what happened in your country?

In Luxembourg not more than 50% voted.. a shame.
Christos
Christos
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarogasini March 28th 2009, 11:29 pm

Erm, i...

forgot about this. Completely.

RikaComet : i read & understood your post. I know who Gandhi was and what did he do. And Slumdog was really kind of a touching movie. Dont understand me wrong, the area/conditions/town i live in is/are very nice, no problems at all. But if our government will suddenly start arresting people for no reason or make a 60 hours/ per week work law - thats a call for rebellion. Very Happy
Tarogasini
Tarogasini
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RikaComet March 28th 2009, 11:32 pm

well i don't know about the whole country...since people here are not so aware as western countries plus India is bigger in terms of land area

But wat i know is that almost every house in our locality...people switched off
there lights... since here in India.. the adjacent house roof are attached... i mean you can go to other guys roof easily..in our neighbourhood we all were on the roof with all lights turned off.. we were talking to each other, playin hide and seek .. some of us even had dinner ...a candle night dinner hehe

I was waiting for someone else to post... in this topic because of time zone thing.. ... well tomorrows paper will tell about the whole country...

Tarogasini wrote:Erm, i...

forgot about this. Completely.

RikaComet : i read & understood your post. I know who Gandhi was and what did he do. And Slumdog was really kind of a touching movie. Dont understand me wrong, the area/conditions/town i live in is/are very nice, no problems at all. But if our government will suddenly start arresting people for no reason or make a 60 hours/ per week work law - thats a call for rebellion. Very Happy

hmm... well thats a lack of constitutionalism... i see there's a wide gap in those who have power and those who not.. well i can't do much about neither not all of forumotion..yes thats a matter of concern..anyways all i can say is we all have a situations and we have to survive in them
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest March 29th 2009, 10:45 am

I would have but I was out of the house at the time so the lights were already off Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by doggie March 29th 2009, 3:15 pm

My girl friend, kids and I sat playing acoustic guitars by candle light. My son kept saying it was a stupid idea. He wanted to get on the computer. They enjoyed it so much we might do it every night. This would be an actual lifestyle change for us.
doggie

Back to top Go down

Post by ImProviser March 29th 2009, 3:41 pm

In Serbia there were news about this... I doubt that many people joined... I did tho... One hour isn't much...
ImProviser
ImProviser
Forumember

Male Posts : 617
Language : Serbian, English, Deutsch

http://www.team-xenon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Christos March 30th 2009, 4:46 pm

doggie wrote:My girl friend, kids and I sat playing acoustic guitars by candle light. My son kept saying it was a stupid idea. He wanted to get on the computer. They enjoyed it so much we might do it every night. This would be an actual lifestyle change for us.

GOOD but if you do it everyday you ll get bored Sad

ImPro, it counts that you took part Wink))

**lots of love to everyone, my math teacher is absent 2 weeks now Very Happy**
Christos
Christos
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RikaComet March 30th 2009, 6:15 pm

here i Delhi the official no is in..out of the 4000MW something power daily usage in whole of Delhi 600MW was saved during earth hour...
all govt and corporate laces were especially without lights even though it rained a lot here that night
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem March 30th 2009, 9:58 pm

Those 600MW weren't saved; they were wasted

Part of the electical system is that it's in continuous use; there's no mage capacitators. It's made - it's sent to use, no in between mark.

If the power centrals suddenly start getting a backlash because nothing's being used it goes straight to the earth (security measure)
Caihlem
Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by RikaComet March 30th 2009, 10:22 pm

Caihlem wrote:

Part of the electical system is that it's in continuous use; there's no mage capacitators. It's made - it's sent to use, no in between mark.

If the power centrals suddenly start getting a backlash because nothing's being used it goes straight to the earth (security measure)

kinda didn't understand wat you said
well here' the headline i read...

Earth Hour 2009 Sdfs10
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next