The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A couple of questions re: forums security

4 posters

Go down

Solved A couple of questions re: forums security

Post by Kittenmommy June 11th 2009, 2:21 am

Hi, new here. I'm a new forum admin who inherited a boatload of drama and problems along with my forums.

I need to know if it's likely that a forum could be hacked by an outsider. The former admin claims that several peoples' accounts were hacked, but some posters suspect she did it.

And that brings me to my second question, which is, is it possible for an admin to seize control of a poster's account and use it to send PMs/e mails/post to the forums?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: kirk.
purple color text removed
Kittenmommy
Kittenmommy

Female Posts : 5
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: A couple of questions re: forums security

Post by sworddude247 June 11th 2009, 2:34 am

Can I possibly have the URL of your Forum?
sworddude247
Forumember

Language : Copy & paste this to your language box!

http://dannysforum.4umer.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenmommy June 11th 2009, 2:37 am

sworddude247 wrote:Can I possibly have the URL of your Forum?

Sure, but I've locked it down for the time being due to the dramarama, so you'll only be able to see the Notice Forum. Welcome to The House Of Bad Fanfiction, abandon all hope ye who enter here. Wink

Edit: kirk.
purple color text removed
Kittenmommy
Kittenmommy

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk June 11th 2009, 11:00 am

Kittenmommy wrote: Hi, new here. I'm a new forum admin who inherited a boatload of drama and problems along with my forums.

I need to know if it's likely that a forum could be hacked by an outsider. The former admin claims that several peoples' accounts were hacked, but some posters suspect she did it.

And that brings me to my second question, which is, is it possible for an admin to seize control of a poster's account and use it to send PMs/e mails/post to the forums?

Thanks in advance!

Well if you saying that the members accounts were hacked into it is possible that the former administrator changed there pass and went into there accounts.You can check this by your logs to see what actions they have taken.Also ask the members if there passwords no longer worked and if the admin has given them a new one so the can change it to what they want.

Admins do not need the original pass to change accounts to ware the members would have to know the previous one in order to change it to a new one.
Let me also say that administrators changing members passwords and going into accounts is very bad for business.They will never have any members stick,lose all respect,credibility and reputation when the word gets out.The only time you would have to do this is if a member forgets there pass.Then You create them one give it to them and they can change it to what they wish when the come back.But always tell them to hit the forgot password thing first befor you even consider doing that for them.

Now as far as protecting yourself. make sure your forums security is on.
Never give you pass to anyone.Never have any other administrators you can not trust. and always have you password as long and as complicated as possible.
but still keep it to something that you will remember. Keep your info in a note pad on your computer and never leave anything such as user names and passwords in your email. move all of that stuff to a note pad.

so hope that helps a little. if you do this never share your info and only have other staff and admins you can trust. you should be fine.

Kittenmommy.
Colors and or bold text is reserved for staff use only.
Please refrain form using them in any future threads.
Thank you
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenmommy June 11th 2009, 6:24 pm

kirk wrote:
Kittenmommy wrote: Hi, new here. I'm a new forum admin who inherited a boatload of drama and problems along with my forums.

Thanks in advance!

Well if you saying that the members accounts were hacked into it is possible that the former administrator changed there pass and went into there accounts.You can check this by your logs to see what actions they have taken.Also ask the members if there passwords no longer worked and if the admin has given them a new one so the can change it to what they want.

That's exactly what happened. I've looked at the Admin panel, and it says that their accounts were modified. Though the admin claims that they came to her saying they'd been mysteriously locked out of their accounts and she reset their passwords for them. So... yeah. That's why I asked about forum security, because I'm just not sure who to believe at this point.

kirk wrote:Admins do not need the original pass to change accounts to ware the members would have to know the previous one in order to change it to a new one.
Let me also say that administrators changing members passwords and going into accounts is very bad for business.They will never have any members stick,lose all respect,credibility and reputation when the word gets out.

I know! I'm not going to do anything like that. Not only is it unethical, it's an appalling breach of trust and I want no part of it.

kirk wrote:The only time you would have to do this is if a member forgets there pass.Then You create them one give it to them and they can change it to what they wish when the come back.But always tell them to hit the forgot password thing first befor you even consider doing that for them.

I just did it for a member a minute ago, and I did exactly this. Very Happy

kirk wrote:Now as far as protecting yourself. make sure your forums security is on.

It is. Wink

kirk wrote:Never give you pass to anyone.Never have any other administrators you can not trust. and always have you password as long and as complicated as possible.
but still keep it to something that you will remember. Keep your info in a note pad on your computer and never leave anything such as user names and passwords in your email. move all of that stuff to a note pad.

so hope that helps a little. if you do this never share your info and only have other staff and admins you can trust. you should be fine.

Thanks! I'm feeling paranoid now and am going to change my password, LOL.

kirk wrote:Kittenmommy.
Colors and or bold text is reserved for staff use only.
Please refrain form using them in any future threads.
Thank you

Sorry. I should have read the rules before posting. I'm just in a hurry to get this stuff straightened out because the members are forming up into an angry mob with torches and pitchforks, I think. Shocked
Kittenmommy
Kittenmommy

Back to top Go down

Post by joe@joeservices.net June 11th 2009, 6:35 pm

hi my name is joe could you guys help me out the new forum has confuse me i need help in knowing whats happenig is there anyway i can see if admin have any new updates i need to know about
joe@joeservices.net
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenmommy June 11th 2009, 6:39 pm

joe@joeservices.net wrote:hi my name is joe could you guys help me out the new forum has confuse me i need help in knowing whats happenig is there anyway i can see if admin have any new updates i need to know about

I'm sorry, are you a House member? I'm not sure if you're addressing me, or this forum in general.
Kittenmommy
Kittenmommy

Back to top Go down

Post by joe@joeservices.net June 11th 2009, 8:41 pm

yes i am a house member i know i am a member of the forum yes i am addressing any one who can uide me in the right direction to keep up with the forum topics please help thank you so much
joe@joeservices.net
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenmommy June 11th 2009, 8:54 pm

joe@joeservices.net wrote:yes i am a house member i know i am a member of the forum yes i am addressing any one who can uide me in the right direction to keep up with the forum topics please help thank you so much

I've opened a thread for discussion in the Notice Forum. You can see it on the House's homepage.
Kittenmommy
Kittenmommy

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk June 11th 2009, 9:24 pm

joe@joeservices. if you have anymore questions for Kittenmommy you can
ask her via pm here.Thanks
Since the problem appears to be solved.
I will now mark as solved and lock the thread
kirk