The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Linux (Ubuntu)

+20
Mio-chan
såpeboble
didmac0
Stene
Day Tripper Girl
dvdv882
aust
Admin-Amir
sanjay34rt
KoolK
Mike Ranger
shamzblueworld
efbe
WhitePoint
LetItRockpenguin
Tarogasini
DeathSoul
Nessa
Cornelia
zadarmo3
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Linux (Ubuntu) - Page 2 Empty Linux (Ubuntu)

Post by zadarmo3 August 3rd 2009, 2:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Anybody tried it before?

Maybe you don't know that RIGHT NOW Linux distros have a nice graphical interfaces, like GNOME or KDE or XFCE or Fluxbox and more.

I prefer GNOME.

And I use both Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.04 PL

What about you?

You can try Ubuntu by downloading and burning the livecd!

It includes lots of drivers and there's a big chance you won't have to install anything Wink

Here's the official Ubuntu's site: http://www.ubuntu.com/

Do you like it?

Or maybe you prefer another distro?

P.S: I searched for Linux and Ubuntu topics and haven't found anything. Sorry, if this is spam, I'm new here.
zadarmo3
zadarmo3

Female Posts : 7
Language : English. Polish

http://bezludnawyspa.bo.pl

Back to top Go down

Linux (Ubuntu) - Page 2 Empty Re: Linux (Ubuntu)

Post by Cornelia October 30th 2009, 12:00 am

I bump this topic just to notice that Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" has just been released.

Here is the link : http://www.ubuntu.com/

For those who want to upgrade, I strongly recommend you to read the documentation, and to be not shy to ask question on the Ubuntu community before doing anything, because if you do it wrong, you'll have to reinstall the system. And it's always recommended to backup your home directory files - it's even essential if your /home isn't on a separate partition.

But you are free to wait one month before upgrading (in order to let the first bugs get fixed) or even to not updgrade. Personally, by the fact that I have a lamp (Linux Apache PHP MySQL) server for my Web development and a bundle of other applications I installed for my Web creation needs, I'm going to wait until the next Long Term Support, which will be 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" will be released next April. Anyway, I have no experience in upgrading, since the one that I had to do (8.04 to 9.04) was a complete reinstall that was necessary because the old system broke.

And for those who wonder about the version numbering, it's pretty simple : It's based on the release's month and year. Thus, the version that I currently have has the number 9.04 because it has been released on April (4th month) of 2009, and the version that has just been released has the number 9.10 because it has been released on October (10th month) 2009. And each version has a codename which is composed of a character trait and an animal (mythic or real) name, and they both begin by the same letter, and the codenames follow the alphabet order. For example, my current version is codenames "Jaunty Jackalope", and the new version is codenamed "Karmic Koala", and the next one will be "Lucid Lynx".

And to finish about version explanation : Every two years, the version that is released on spring ia released as a "long term support" version. The main difference is that while a regular version will have a 18 months lifetime for desktop versions and 3 years for server versions, the Long Term Support version have a lifetime of 3 years for desktop version, and 5 years for server version, so these version are recommended for large deployments such as in public administrations (ex: France's military police) and enterprises, who need stability in their network architecture.
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 4763
Language : I'M NOT A TECHIE OR A MOD, SO QUIT SENDING ME PMS FOR TECHIE STUFF OR LOST PASSWORDS !!!

http://ishimaru-design.servhome.org

Back to top Go down

Post by WhitePoint November 10th 2009, 10:54 pm

I like the ubuntu 9.10

I installed ubuntu 9.10 in my notebook and is good! What I don't like in ubuntu is the photoshop because not working in ubuntu Linux (Ubuntu) - Page 2 Icon_sad
WhitePoint
WhitePoint
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1206
Language : Romanian, Spanish, English, Catalan and a little French

http://www.our-time.biz/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelia November 12th 2009, 11:29 am

DarkPoint wrote:I like the ubuntu 9.10

I installed ubuntu 9.10 in my notebook and is good! What I don't like in ubuntu is the photoshop because not working in ubuntu Linux (Ubuntu) - Page 2 Icon_sad

That's the problem with commercial softwares. How many requests were done for a Linux port, but Adobe just doesn't seem to show any sign of Linux port intention, and since its proprietary license doesn't allow anyone except Adobe to do a native Linux port (while the GPL license allowed Gimp to be ported on many OS outside Linux), the only possible alternative is to use Wine which is a Win32 API implementation, but for now, CS3 and CS4 don't work at all (except for portable versions) while CS2 works nicely.

Before you get too addicted to Photoshop, you can start learning Gimp. For this, you'll have to google tutorials, but many of them are written according to an older version (before 2.6) so there will be some differences.
Even if I'm currently writing a big Gimp lesson, it's in French (and on a website that's not mine) and it'll take a while before I can start writing a translation of it. But I can translate the ones I posted on my own website.
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Language : I'M NOT A TECHIE OR A MOD, SO QUIT SENDING ME PMS FOR TECHIE STUFF OR LOST PASSWORDS !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by sanjay34rt November 13th 2009, 7:00 am

Ubuntu is an operating system built by a worldwide team of expert developers. It contains all the applications you need: a web browser, office suite, media apps, instant messaging and much more.

Ubuntu is an open-source alternative to Windows and Office.

=================================================
LINK REMOVED
sanjay34rt

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Amir December 17th 2009, 10:53 pm

Hell PPL and Team.
Well here is my playground on The network.
I'm Admin-Amir From The Ultimate Edition Team.
So, If you PPL think That Ububtu is The Real Thing well you All wrong Sorry.
If you really want the System that will let you do all that you want,
Then you need The "Ultimate Edition".
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/

I can tell you all That our Team FIX so many packages from Ubuntu Release to work just fine.
And I can tell you that you can work on the same session with 2 sound servers!!!
PulseAudio+Alsa working Together like happy family!
The effect for the user is 2 times higher volume with the system.
perfect working Audio/Video with all the players.

You all can use my Guides for the U.E System From my Blog,Forum,Ultimate Edition Forum.
I made the U.E Guide of Installation.
This Guide is build in the U.E System under the help section.

Linux (Ubuntu) - Page 2 Select10
Linux (Ubuntu) - Page 2 Select10
Linux (Ubuntu) - Page 2 Select11

On the blog you can use the buttons to get all the info that you need on the U.E System.
(Red Buttons on the Right).

Hope I did not offend anyone here just Share with you PPL and Team info on the best Linux System.

So Thank you all for this post on Linux Systems here on the site.

Linux (Ubuntu) - Page 2 78c3bd10

Last edited by Admin-Amir on December 20th 2009, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin-Amir
Admin-Amir

Language : Hebrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa December 20th 2009, 5:46 pm

Linux (Ubuntu) - Page 2 Hello Shalom Amir and Welcome to the Support Forum. Smile

While we appreciate your input and knowledge shared here in this topic. Please be aware that sharing download links and or advertising your blog or website here in the General Discussion section is generally not permitted and may often be considered as spam. Although It may pertain to the subject discussions , please be reminded of such rules in future posts here. Wink

Thanks
~ Nessa

Nessa
Nessa
Energetic

Female Posts : 6203
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Amir December 20th 2009, 6:50 pm

Shalom Nessa.
First I'm sorry my sharing of even seemed possible sound like spam.
And I'm not here for advertising My blog at all,
just to pot all in the right place for you and for the users on the site.
I never thought for a moment to harm or create a situation like this.
It is easy to check on who I am and if I am that 2 cent kind of spammer.
And you and me know that this is way out of line too say it on me right !
I apologise for the incident, I also removes the system's ultimate download site links.
about rules,Thank you for that point of view on the issue.
So Nessa I wish you and the staff nice life and good luck in the Future.
Again if you will make step foreword you will see the best Distro on Linux Today.
Thank you for the Hospitality on your site/Forum.
Shalom From Israel and from The U.E Team.

Linux (Ubuntu) - Page 2 78c3bd10
Admin-Amir
Admin-Amir

Language : Hebrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelia December 21st 2009, 1:29 am

Thanks Nessa for explaining it better while I lamely failed.

> Amir : Have you ever heard of anxiety disorders ? Because all of this shit that happened was my fault, as I have anxiety disorders and then, I easily anticipate horrible scenarios, just like I did in this case, and each anxiogenic situation makes my anxiety getting worse, and this situation where I got in isn't an exception. This condition is really choking me in every sphere of my daily life, at the point that lately, I have put myself in the pending queue for consulting a social worker, as I couldn't find a psychologist that treats this kind of condition in my area.

Now, I begin to wonder if I should start a thread about anxiety disorders in general...
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by aust December 25th 2009, 10:17 am

I was trying to use ubuntu some time but my pc lagged so much so I chose windows xp Wink
aust

Back to top Go down

Post by efbe May 14th 2010, 12:36 am

Just thought i'd bump this topic as i i have found another distro similar to Ubuntu .. It's called Linux mint 8 , a free download and virtually works out of the box. Everything you need is installed with the installation, Firefox, Flash, Java etc...no need to download and install anything to get you started.
It's great for first timers looking at giving Linux a try, Linux Mint 8 is much more user friendly than Ubuntu but works on the same principle.
http://www.linuxmint.com/
efbe
efbe
Forumember

Male Posts : 455

http://www.chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

Post by DeathSoul May 18th 2010, 3:14 am

Aww.. I just tried to install Ubuntu and the stupid thing froze right after I logged in now I gotta figure out how to uninstall Ubuntu Sad
DeathSoul
DeathSoul
Forumember

Male Posts : 369
Language : ENGLISH

Back to top Go down

Linux (Ubuntu) - Page 2 Empty Re:

Post by dvdv882 July 20th 2010, 8:42 am

zadarmo3 wrote:Anybody tried it before?

Maybe you don't know that RIGHT NOW Linux distros have a nice graphical interfaces, like GNOME or KDE or XFCE or Fluxbox and more.

I prefer GNOME.

And I use both Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.04 PL

What about you?

You can try Ubuntu by downloading and burning the livecd!

It includes lots of drivers and there's a big chance you won't have to install anything Wink

Here's the official Ubuntu's site: http://www.ubuntu.com/

Do you like it?

Or maybe you prefer another distro?

P.S: I searched for Linux and Ubuntu topics and haven't found anything. Sorry, if this is spam, I'm new here.

Yes, I like it but not very much. Ubuntu is a computer operating system based on the Debian GNU / Linux distribution and is distributed as free and open source software.

For anyone trying to get this stuff to work, I can help you out as best I can. I've got Ubuntu 9.04 running right now with Heyu and a CM11A and CM17A (Firecracker) plugged into the same serial port of my desktop. I use SSH to remote into it from my Ubuntu laptop and run Heyu commands ("heyu on a4") remotely. There's no need for VPN nor a graphical desktop at all.
dvdv882
dvdv882

Back to top Go down

Post by dvdv882 July 23rd 2010, 6:41 am

Ubuntu is the one of the fastest growing Linux operating System.Ubuntu is based on the Debian distribution which is the flavor I was considering but was avoiding because
of the long waits between distribution releases.The people behind Ubuntu Linux are committed to the free open source software concept and working hard to get the software out to people to use.
dvdv882
dvdv882

Back to top Go down

Post by Day Tripper Girl July 27th 2010, 4:33 am

Well, I'm an Ubuntu user since three years ago and I've using MacOSX a long time ago -15 years more or less- and booth are great OS... better than any Windows version -even da 7- .
Ubuntu growing so fast but... I miss some third party software like Adobe CS. Any way Ubuntu rocks, and rocks well.

By da way, I posted my Ubuntu desktop screen shoot at "My Desktop" topic.
Day Tripper Girl

Language : spanglish

Back to top Go down

Post by Stene August 16th 2010, 9:33 pm

Works with the new version
Stene

Language : Svenska

Back to top Go down

Linux (Ubuntu) - Page 2 Empty Re:

Post by didmac0 August 19th 2010, 2:03 pm

Ubuntu focuses on usability. The Ubiquity installer allows Ubuntu to be installed to the hard disk from within the Live CD environment, without the need for restarting the computer prior to installation. Ubuntu also emphasizes accessibility and internationalization to reach as many people as possible. Beginning with 5.04, UTF-8 became the default character encoding, which allows for support of a variety of non-Roman scripts. As a security feature, the sudo tool is used to assign temporary privileges for performing administrative tasks, allowing the root account to remain locked, and preventing inexperienced users from inadvertently making catastrophic system changes or opening security holes. PolicyKit is also being widely implemented into the desktop to further harden the system through the principle of least privilege.

osha10hourcertifications.com
didmac0
didmac0

Back to top Go down

Post by såpeboble December 25th 2010, 3:38 pm

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10. I've used Ubuntu since the 9.04 version. I'm still pretty hopeless with Ubuntu though, I don't understand commands and all that. I've looked at so many tutorials for different things, but I never understand anything. But Ubuntu works fine for me even so. I kinda don't have any choice anyway, since Vista crashed. My computer works fine now, much better than when I had Vista, so I don't know if I even want to buy a new computer at all, even though my mom nags me about me, lol.
såpeboble
såpeboble

Female Posts : 7
Language : Norwegian, English

http://heavenly-bohemian.soglam.net

Back to top Go down

Post by efbe December 30th 2010, 3:47 am

Linux in general is growing in popularity at an alarming rate, millions have turned to Linux as a free open sourced operating system. I myself am using Linux Mint 10 (code name Julia) a fork of Ubuntu but i find Mint much better and so user friendly. It has a faster boot up and shut down time than Windows, apart from Windows 7 which is reasonable.

I highly recommend anyone who is sick to death of thier pc's slowing down, taking ages to load up and getting infected with viruses and malware while using Windows to try Linux. You can download most versions of Linux, burn the ISO image to a cd and boot your pc with a live demo before installing.. you can also make many copies and pass on to family and friends with out it being called Pirated, there's nothing illegal about sharing Linux..unlike Microsoft.

If your a hard core gamer then i suggest you stick with Windows or duel boot, but in the end, Linux Mint is a perfect replacement for an over priced, bloated operating system called Windows.
Try Linux, you will be amazed on how easy it really is. Smile
efbe
efbe
Forumember

Male Posts : 455

http://www.chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Mio-chan July 4th 2011, 3:00 am

I run Ubuntu Linux 11.04, after migrating from Microsoft Windows Vista. Truly enjoy it Smile

Especially the Unity interface, while it might not have many customization options out of the box, it sure is a step in the right direction.

Glad to see so many other Ubuntu users on here Very Happy

Mio-chan
Mio-chan
Forumember

Male Posts : 284
Language : English, Portuguese | CSS3, HTML and learning C++

http://www.theolympiansclan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Irian July 4th 2011, 1:34 pm

Ubuntu is the best Smile
I love it Smile
Irian
Irian
Forumember

Male Posts : 661
Language : English, Français, Spagnol, Latin, ecc.

http://www.puregroups.co.cc

Back to top Go down

Post by ioncube July 5th 2011, 5:08 am

Here my desktop:
Linux (Ubuntu) - Page 2 Aaiwzd
ioncube
ioncube
Forumember

Male Posts : 279
Language : eng

http://defencedog.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem July 5th 2011, 8:08 am

Wrong topic Wink
This is the section for Linux users/lovers, the topic for desktops is another one

P.S: Show-off with Matlab tongue
First time I see that one outside the laboratory
Caihlem
Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ioncube July 10th 2011, 8:54 am

remember I am chemical engineer Mr. Green
ioncube
ioncube
Forumember

Male Posts : 279
Language : eng

http://defencedog.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bsbrazil July 24th 2011, 12:41 pm

ubuntu is the best!"
bsbrazil

Language : Portuguse

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2