The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible rogue bot/spider visiting my forum

3 posters

Go down

Possible rogue bot/spider visiting my forum Empty Possible rogue bot/spider visiting my forum

Post by Quilimox August 6th 2009, 3:59 am

*Please bear in mind i have searched and read the forum rules before i made this post and that this is my first time on the forum*

Hi, it has recently come to my attention that a guest from the same IP time and time again has become somewhat of a forum frequenter, he has not registered and after a little digging found out it may be a rogue bot/spider crawling my forum.

IP: 85.92.222.254
https://ipgetinfo.com/?mode=ip&lang=en&ip=85.92.222.254
http://whois.domaintools.com/85.92.222.254
http://www.projecthoneypot.org/ip_85.92.222.254

The last link worries me most, at the bottom of the page people have 'recently' posted about how they have had their forum/site crawled from that site and found it disobeying the robot.txt file and how they promptly blocked the IP etc.
Now i have put in place an image verification process on my forum against potential bots trying to gain access, but even if they only have access to the guest content i'd rather not have a rogue bot on my forum downloading and storing who knows what.

So as i do not have any way of blocking the IP i have a problem, which i can not fix.
Any suggestions would be wonderful but ultimately i would like the IP in question to be blocked by you the forum hosters, if it's not too much trouble.
I think, if the IP is indeed involved with dodgy stuff, it will be beneficial to everyone who has a free forum or uses your service for the IP to be blocked.
Cheers
Quil
Quilimox
Quilimox

Male Posts : 1
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Possible rogue bot/spider visiting my forum Empty Re: Possible rogue bot/spider visiting my forum

Post by LilJur August 6th 2009, 4:08 am

Eummhh... yea... Did someone actually tell you that all those IP trackers are inacurate and always differend? i have the same with my IP xD.

Whit that, bots normaly seen cant register on your forum if you have a image conformation... wich most forums here do.

+, you are able to unblock IP's once blocked...
LilJur
Forumember

Male Posts : 212
Language : xml, css, html, hex, english and dutch

Back to top Go down

Possible rogue bot/spider visiting my forum Empty Re: Possible rogue bot/spider visiting my forum

Post by Darren1 August 6th 2009, 6:27 am

Hi,

you can block his IP if you wish.

He (The bot) is of no threat to you on forumotion forum's, as he cannot get onto ur forum.

Lil-J, please get ur facts right, you can remove an IP ban if you desire!
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853
Language : English

Back to top Go down