The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edit to the double post rule

4 posters

Go down

Should we do the edit

Edit to the double post rule Left1140%Edit to the double post rule Right11 40% 
[ 2 ]
Edit to the double post rule Left1160%Edit to the double post rule Right11 60% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 5

Edit to the double post rule Empty Edit to the double post rule

Post by Darren1 December 29th 2009, 10:32 am

Hello,

I'd like to suggest that we edit the 'no double posting within 24 hours' rule, just to allow it to be a tad more flexible so that a user is aware that someone has provided an answer to their question.

Take this example.

Example1:
John has a question about editing a particular template.

I came along and answer it for him, saying it's not possible, yet after two hours of editing the templates I find a way to do it, the exact way he want's it.
I notice John's topic is no longer in in the recent topics list, and assume he's given up.
so I double post to bring it back up, and hopefully get his attention, and give him the correct answer to his problem.

Sanket happens to also be online and burbs out the rule, as expected to his job here.
John now realizes that his thread is being posted on, and thus reviews it is satisfied with the answer, does it, and declares the problem solved.
Another happy customer. (and me with yet another warning Razz )
---------

Example 2, more realistic; Graphics.

Carly requested a complex edit to her banner, Paul says he's tagged it.
2 hours later, Paul posts again (being a double post) as he see's Carly online in the 'Who's online' list, providing her with the edited banner.
Saving both Carly the time to view the thread about 500 times while Paul is editing the banner, or editing the post to add the banner.

Again, LH Justin has pulled out the rule book and quoted the 'no double posting in 24 hours' rule
-------------

In both cases it has provided a quicker solution to the members' problem much speedily than it would of if the user had to wait either 24 hours, or they edit their post, and thus the member would wait 24 hours to see the next post with the answer, when in-fact it was there a mere 30 (or so) minuted after it was posted.

Of cause this does have it's bad side which can be easily abused, but if clearly defined enough in the rules & in moderator's postings, then I believe that the negative side can be almost eliminated.

I hope I have explained this clearly enough.

Regards,
Darren.
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Edit to the double post rule Empty Re: Edit to the double post rule

Post by Master Marc December 29th 2009, 2:27 pm

I have to say, there is an easy solution to this problem, Edit to the double post rule Redface

Master Marc wrote:Delete your post and post again with an update message ( my solution )

This happened to me when I was doing my first or second forum review on this support forum, and I easily kept to my advice.

You see, if this suggestion is accepted, members will abuse it to get their post count up to you, Darren ( 6900 + ) . And the mods wouldn't like that, TT ( because they have to deal with it and get the headache ) .

So, I will not vote until I get a good reply from you Darren, bye
Master Marc
Master Marc
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3661
Language : English and Spanish.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario January 4th 2010, 9:26 pm

Like Master Merc said just delete your post and post again. Not hard to do. In the review section I will allow members to double post for the review they gave just so they tell the members they are done with it. The Graphic Section can be like this for results only. But changing rules after it been long enough to where people know it the rules and then changing it again members will just be bumping their topic like made. I don't know about this suggestion.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin January 5th 2010, 12:41 am

But the rulebook is my friend. Sad

I really don't pull out the rulebook unless someone is bumping their own topic.
LH Justin
LH Justin
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3686
Language : English

Back to top Go down