The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topic reply notification / New Private message: emails

3 posters

Go down

Topic reply notification / New Private message: emails Empty Topic reply notification / New Private message: emails

Post by Travis@RCWinnipeg September 15th 2010, 8:12 pm

I am experiencing an issue with my forum lagging and deleting posts (on its own). I get notified via email when a reply/new post has been made and sometimes they don't show up for day! I will have read the new post and have responded to it a couple times before the email even shows up, its confusing when I get 20 email saying replies or new posts have been made and I have already addressed them... I should also note the something simulair happens with private messages, I will have already gotten and responded to a private message and the next day I get an email saying I have a new one, when in fact there is no new message.

In addition, I have had reports from my members saying their posts have been deleted mysteriously. I am the only one that can do that on my forum but some how its happening. Can I please get some resolution? scratch
Travis@RCWinnipeg
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Topic reply notification / New Private message: emails Empty Re: Topic reply notification / New Private message: emails

Post by Darren1 September 16th 2010, 7:16 am

Hi,

unfortunately there is a minor delay between the post & the email notification now, with the most recent fix to the notifications.
Your would find the delay, which as you have said is 1 day, would be because of your email account provider.

2) Check the mod/admin panel: Admin panel >> General > Security.
If their not there, maybe they've been moved to somewhere they cannot access, such as a staff room?
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Topic reply notification / New Private message: emails Empty Re: Topic reply notification / New Private message: emails

Post by Travis@RCWinnipeg September 16th 2010, 7:27 am

Darren1, thanks for the infomation. Although I hardly consider 1 day a minor delay. If we are talking email notification a minor delay is 15 - 20 minutes...

My email is hosted through "Go Daddy" and I have a 15mb cable connection here at home. I have no trouble with my email, this is a forumotion server issue. I have been running this forum for a year and a half with little to no problems, this issue just recently started in the past couple weeks.

You will notice the time of your post is almost 10 minutes different than the time of my response, this included the time it took to receive the email notification. That is pretty much exactly how it should be, but on my forum the same notification would not have shown up for another 12 hours...
Travis@RCWinnipeg
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 September 16th 2010, 7:41 am

As I said above, the 1 day delay would probably be because of the setting's on your host, but now being aware that it is from Go-Daddy, there shouldn't be much of a delay.
The issue sounds like it started when the new code for the fix of the problem was released... what a sad coincidence lol.

I'll try and get Typlo to pop in here shortly, but I can't make any promises of when he will Wink
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis@RCWinnipeg September 16th 2010, 7:44 am

For the record I received email notification with in 1 minute just now (from this forum).

I appreciate any fruther help or assistance with this matter, thanks again for the acknowledgement.
Travis@RCWinnipeg
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk September 16th 2010, 10:04 am

well have you tried changing your email address. it could be a conflict between your service provider and and forumotions server, but i am just guessing?

Darren pretty much explained everything i could think of.. i would go check all your settings and make sure they are the way hey should be.. if that dont help you might want to try to contact go daddy or your service provider and let them know you are having trouble.. i mean forumotion servers are pretty big and world wide, so most people would never have a problem getting onto forumotions sites or being sent he reply notifications etc... but it can depend on ones server computer speed and if they are Mobil etc too.

so may be try to disable everthing on the forum then re enable it again to see if that helps.. i will go check some things out on my test board and worst case scenario we can try to request a tech.. but i would also try to contact your service provider and or go daddy to make sure it is not something on there end and you are getting the service the correct way for what your paying for. sometimes certain service providers can be a baitch.. make sure you get what you pay for.. i have been through three service providers so i know how some of those companies can be.

but like i said this can be a number of things.. so we have to try to narrow down things as much as possible and come up with the best solution possible as well.

Out of curiosity perhaps create anther forum on forumotion as a test board and see if the same things haoppend from that one to?
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis@RCWinnipeg September 16th 2010, 6:13 pm

I have confirmed with Go Daddy that nothing has changed on my account, I also asked if they had done any patch work in the way of email lately and they told me they had not. I beleive them given in the years they have been hosting my email I have never had a problem and the fact that I am not experiencing any other email lag or absence from anyone/where else. However I did confirm with 5 other members on my forum that this is an on going issue for all of them. Random posts at random times get deleted, private messages not being received and email notifications no longer working or show up very late.

My questions are regarding the qaulity of service, its not that it doesn't work. Its that it works half the time, if it was a setting than in theory it should work or not work. Not work half the time?

As I mentioned I have been running this forum for over a year and a half and this has recently become a problem, almost 10,000 posts? Could the amount of content influence this sort of behaviour?

Travis@RCWinnipeg
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk September 16th 2010, 6:31 pm

well i have never heard of post deleting by themselves.
So that is a new one to me. All i can an do is run this by my superiors and see what they think and if it's grounds to request a tech or not.

As far as forumotions service as a whole we have not been haveing many problems with the servers lately.. sure things will happen time to time the same way things can happen with facebook glitches or any other free social networking host.

But like i said over all there has not been many problems like this with forumotions servers or service as a whole lately.. if so then it would be affecting many people and we would be getting many more people inquiring about this problem.And dont get me wrong things still happen and things will always happen time to time as well. but forumotion always work the problems out for all to the best of there abilities.. and of course it depends exactly what may be accruing at any given time as well.

So i will have to pass it on to other staff to go over and see what they think and any other posibil things you may be able to try to resolve this problem.

And in the mean time i would double check all your forums setting and options and your profile preferences as well.. be sure that your members also have the options selected correctly in there profile preferences.
You may also want to try to restore your forum from the forumotion utilities tool to a time befor this start occurring frequently.

Last edited by kirk on September 16th 2010, 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis@RCWinnipeg September 16th 2010, 6:38 pm

I will try that, thanks for the advise.

I just bought more credits maybe I will get bumped up to a better server. LOL! I am just kidding.

Oddly I receive the email notifications from this forum bang on, with in a minute of the post being made. This would lead me to beleive it has something to do with my forum specificly *shrugs*
Travis@RCWinnipeg
Forumember

Back to top Go down