The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creating a hidden forum and ensuring one member isn't included.

4 posters

Go down

In progress Creating a hidden forum and ensuring one member isn't included.

Post by puzzles June 23rd 2011, 11:01 pm

Hi,

I am desperately trying to create a hidden forum. I have created a group which I included everyone then deleted one particular person from (we are trying to get together to send her something as she's had a hard time recently).I then created the forum and ensured I only had that particular group ticked. However when I checked her profile she had ticked permission to view the group! I keep unticking her but every time I update she is ticked again! I can't get rid of her! Help!
puzzles

Language : English

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Creating a hidden forum and ensuring one member isn't included.

Post by Empire_1 June 23rd 2011, 11:22 pm

puzzles wrote:Hi,

I am desperately trying to create a hidden forum. I have created a group which I included everyone then deleted one particular person from (we are trying to get together to send her something as she's had a hard time recently).I then created the forum and ensured I only had that particular group ticked. However when I checked her profile she had ticked permission to view the group! I keep unticking her but every time I update she is ticked again! I can't get rid of her! Help!

You have to make the group hidden.

Admin Panel> Users and Groups > Group Administration> Click the "Creating a hidden forum and ensuring one member isn't included. Editer" of the group you want to hide > On "Group status," select "Hidden group." > Click "Save"
Empire_1
Empire_1
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1391
Language : English, Spanish, Mandarin, C++

Back to top Go down

Post by puzzles June 23rd 2011, 11:23 pm

Yes did that - it is definitely a hidden group. But can't get rid of this one poster from it!
puzzles

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire_1 June 23rd 2011, 11:26 pm

You can also make a forum hidden, then only allow the Hidden Group to access it (admins will also be allowed).

If this user is not in the Hidden Group, she should not be able to request membership or view the Group. Could you provide me a link to your forum?
Empire_1
Empire_1
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by puzzles June 23rd 2011, 11:30 pm

Sorry yes that's what I meant. It's a hidden forum - did all that.
puzzles

Back to top Go down

Post by puzzles June 23rd 2011, 11:30 pm

puzzles

Back to top Go down

Post by puzzles June 23rd 2011, 11:33 pm

I did all that you suggested but for some unknown reason this user keeps on being able to see it - when I go into her profile access keeps being ticked - and when I untick - next time I check it's ticked again - seems to be a fault. I have deleted the group again for now as I can't trust that she wont' see it.l
puzzles

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire_1 June 23rd 2011, 11:46 pm

puzzles wrote:I did all that you suggested but for some unknown reason this user keeps on being able to see it - when I go into her profile access keeps being ticked - and when I untick - next time I check it's ticked again - seems to be a fault. I have deleted the group again for now as I can't trust that she wont' see it.l

Wait what do you mean you "go into the user's profile?" To ensure someone doesn't go to a hidden forum or hidden group, you don't need to go into her profile...

If you go to the Hidden Group and put all the members you want in there and leave the user out, all you need to check on is that she didn't apply back for the group again. Also, a hidden forum that only a certain group may view (make sure only the hidden group can view it) cannot be seen by someone else not in the group.

Here's an idea. Make a 'test' account. If you do all the tricks (Hidden Group, Hidden Forum) and leave the test account out, use the test account to see if it works.

After you do this, please tell me what happens. If it still doesn't work, we might need a technician.
Empire_1
Empire_1
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by puzzles June 24th 2011, 3:28 pm

Yes I know I shouldn't have to go into their profile - I just did that to check and I'm glad I did! I will create a test account and let you know. Thank you.
puzzles

Back to top Go down

Post by puzzles June 24th 2011, 3:43 pm

It's very very odd - I have just checked the hidden group yet again that I have removed this person from and she has reappeared again! She must have settings that automatically add her to all groups or something?
puzzles

Back to top Go down

Post by Base June 24th 2011, 5:49 pm

puzzles, posting consecutively is not tolerated unless separated by 24 hours since the last post. In future, please use the edit button. Wink

Does this tutorial help you: https://help.forumotion.com/t38399-restricted-forums ?

If not, could you please provide a screenshot or possibly more information? Thanks.
Base
Base
Forumaster

Male Posts : 10386
Language : English and French

http://forumotionhub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by puzzles June 24th 2011, 10:30 pm

Thank you . I think I have worked it out for myself but not 100% - it appears somewhere 'auto-subscribe' was ticked which may be why the member kept getting added. I've tried again tonight with that box now unticked and so far it is saying she doesn't have permission. We shall see!
puzzles

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy June 25th 2011, 3:43 am

Solved?
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down