How can I set it so guests can view the forum, but new members can't until they post? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
3 posters

How can I set it so guests can view the forum, but new members can't until they post?

ZanderTekashi
    ZanderTekashi

Male Posts : 10
    Language : English

How can I set it so guests can view the forum, but new members can't until they post? Empty How can I set it so guests can view the forum, but new members can't until they post?

Post by ZanderTekashi September 21st 2011, 8:03 am

I'm one of the Admins of a forum, and I mainly deal with the technical aspects. One problem we've had is that we want people to post a Welcome thread first before they continue on with the viewing and posting on rest of the forum.

However, I can't seem to set this up. I made two groups. One listed as New Members, and the other listed as Welcomed Members. I want to set it so that the New Members can only View, Read, and Post on our Welcome sub-forum, but I still want Guests/lurkers to be able to View/Read the forum.

For example, after I selected all the groups EXCEPT New Members to be able to View/Read a sub-forum, I went to select Guests so they can View/Read, but then all of the fields were selected again and I couldn't deselect New Members. Is there a way around this to where only the New Members can't View/Read other topics except the Welcome sub-forum, while Guests can still do so?
    Sanket
    Sanket
    ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

How can I set it so guests can view the forum, but new members can't until they post? Empty Re: How can I set it so guests can view the forum, but new members can't until they post?

Post by Sanket September 21st 2011, 1:16 pm

Thats not possible. If guests can see, everyone can see !
    lobosoll
    lobosoll
    Forumember

Male Posts : 58
    Language : english

How can I set it so guests can view the forum, but new members can't until they post? Empty Re: How can I set it so guests can view the forum, but new members can't until they post?

Post by lobosoll September 23rd 2011, 1:44 pm

im new to this and just created a new forum how can i set the board for guests who visit to view board but not have acsess to download anything till they register and join
    ZanderTekashi
    ZanderTekashi

Male Posts : 10

Post by ZanderTekashi September 23rd 2011, 7:34 pm

Sanket wrote:Thats not possible. If guests can see, everyone can see !
    I was hoping that wasn't the case. We still wanted guests to be able to see because of the nature of our forum, but it looks like I'll have to try to find an alternate way.

lobosoll wrote:im new to this and just created a new forum how can i set the board for guests who visit to view board but not have acsess to download anything till they register and join

On the Admin panel, go to General -> Forum --> Categories and forums

Then what you want to do is check the permissions for each subforum. Click advanced mode and you can fix the permissions of guests and members.