The forum of the forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The forum of the forums
4 posters

I want to keep a group from reading a forum. Possible?

Pridwyn

Language : English

Solved I want to keep a group from reading a forum. Possible?

Post by Pridwyn October 13th 2011, 7:46 pm

I have a forum where once you register, you submit an application and then wait to be accepted. So, when somebody first signs up they are automatically added to a group called 'Pending'. Since I don't want them posting before they're accepted, is there a way to keep them from reading the forum? I have one forum that I DO want them to read; the one where you submit the application.

So when I go to edit group permissions, the option to keep them out of the rest of the forum is greyed out. Can I fix this?
    Base
    Base
    Forumaster

Male Posts : 10383
    Language : English and French

Solved Re: I want to keep a group from reading a forum. Possible?

Post by Base October 13th 2011, 9:00 pm

Hi, perhaps this tutorial will help you: https://help.forumotion.com/t38399-restricted-forums

Smile
    Diana
    Diana
    Active Poster

Female Posts : 1286

Post by Diana October 13th 2011, 9:04 pm

I think I know what you mean.I've wanted a group of that kind and it wasn't possible.You have to create a group for the members who are able to post in all of the forum and grant them permissions for the whole forum.
    The ones who sign up can be left in the group members.
    It's the only way.
    kirk
    kirk
    Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
    Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Post by kirk October 14th 2011, 12:18 am

You can have them summit a application forum in your contact link in your footer,
    Other then that you would have to set the permissions for not to allow guest to view or post anything on the forums.

Then set your activation for Admin to activate their accounts,
    As far as the group you can set/create whatever group you want and set the permissions as you wish.

Or after their account is activated by you/Admin, you can have a welcome introduction forum where new members have to post first in order to gain access to the rest of the forum.

Then set a group called members or whatever to be auto added after posting 1 post, and have the groups permissions set for the forums you wish them to view.

so basically all new members that you activate will only have permissions to see and post on the introduction board, once they post they will be auto added to a group, with the permissions set as you see fit.

As far as them already being activated and having a application to be verified first?
    I dont see that happening.. unless they send you a copy of a application to you through your contact form. then you can few it via your message, and make a session on whether to activate there account or not?

Just come up with an application they can fill out, then copy it and send to you via contact footer link, and explain they then have to register and wait for the app to be reviewed before the account is activated.

But thats about all you can do if you want something like that.
    Pridwyn

Post by Pridwyn October 14th 2011, 1:31 am

@Kirk: I think I'll do that, thanks!
    kirk
    kirk
    Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
    Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Post by kirk October 21st 2011, 12:31 pm

Since the topic appears to be solved i will now mark and lock the thread.

Current date/time is September 22nd 2024, 8:34 pm