The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SQL Database please.

+2
zinex
Simsarmy
6 posters

Go down

SQL Database please. Empty SQL Database please.

Post by Simsarmy January 8th 2008, 8:27 pm

Not leaving Forumotion, but I have honed my skills in PHP (And other things) and I got my own server.
I once saw a person gain a Phpbb Database SQL File, and I would like the SQL Database for http://forumcloud.forumotion.com

But I am not leaving, the site will remain open since people still like it. I will be using the database to take the more important posts.

Thanks,
Simsarmy
Simsarmy
Simsarmy
Forumember

Female Posts : 127
Language : English

http://forumcloud.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

SQL Database please. Empty Re: SQL Database please.

Post by zinex January 8th 2008, 9:01 pm

i enquired about this myself just two days ago simsarmy and forumotion does not give out back ups. This is an older post of Katts:

Hello.

If you talk about exporting the database or having it saved on the computer, it's not possible. An adaptation is need for every export and it would take much time for the technicians while they are already busy by the glitch corrections, works on updates (coding, tests, etc.) and solving server downtimes.

This is also indicated in the Forumotion's terms of service when you create your board.

The backups are there only for restoration if anything happens (crazy moderator/admin, hack, etc.)
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 2804
Language : scotch och aye!

http://asylum.forumotion.co.uk/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest January 9th 2008, 4:03 pm

As a lot of people have been asking about it would it not make sense for forumotion to either create a script or download a programme to convert the databases.
I'm sure many people have left forumotion for pastures new because of the attitude to databases which at the moment is simply "no".
No explanations and if someone questions this, they are banned from this forum.
Perhaps a full explanation as to why we cannot have the databases instead of just no would put members at ease and reassure them.
The quote from Canadian law in one refusal is in fact very flawed and would only take a very poor solicitor to overturn.
I have dealt with data copyright for over 23 years and have a little bit of knowledge as to how it works.
Why can't they charge for the service?
Thanks zinex for asking thumleft

Back to top Go down

Post by Luky January 9th 2008, 6:03 pm

Read here
Luky
Luky
Energetic

Male Posts : 6106
Language : Romanian, English

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest January 9th 2008, 11:55 pm

Read the article very carefully the producers as acknowledged by law are the members, forumotion are only the storage facility in terms of law.
Just to explain in simple terms you put your money in the bank, its still your money it doesn't magically become the banks money.
Same thing with the databases the effort has been put in by the members therefore per se the databases belong to the members (going by the laws on the article).

Sorry I got carried away again (I'm only a third year law student, finals soon)

Back to top Go down

Post by roliver January 10th 2008, 1:51 pm

Go badger11, exploring the law. thumleft
roliver
Forumember

Language : Macedonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Simsarmy January 10th 2008, 4:06 pm

Oh well, I guess I will have to leave then, I can't be bothered to follow this up, Forumotion is subborn.... Thanks everyone for the replies, I totally understand. Very Happy
...but I have been having fun with my self-installed Cash Mod, and I might come back to campaign for Forumotion Members to get the same privilege.
Simsarmy
Simsarmy
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex January 10th 2008, 4:08 pm

i was working on my own phpbb forum as well simsarmy, using easy mod to install mods, the cash mod i had to do bit by bit though. I added the reputation mod also, but i found the more mods you added the more they clashed with each other...hence why i think forumotion is so careful what they add and what they dont. Essentially they cant just add the cash mod, as there wouldnt really be all that much that could be done with it, there would be the need for a phpbb shop, or bank, lottery, jobs etc...something to put the cash mod to use. Maybe in time....Smile
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 2804
Language : scotch och aye!

http://asylum.forumotion.co.uk/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Simsarmy January 10th 2008, 9:07 pm

Due to my new phpBB & php knowledge and I now know that actually since there is only a phpbb2 compatible cash mod, they might come across some problems there. But since they never used this excuse, they still don't have a leg to stand on.

Regardless, creating a simple field that increments every post is not a difficult task even for phpbb3. I am actually working on creating a Cash Mod for phpBB3 now. (Check phpbbhacks.com in the future peoplez)

(OT)
Glad to hear that your mods are clashing too, I have lost some ACP options due to those tricky installations, and it's hard to locate the reason for the error in all those mounds of php.
Simsarmy
Simsarmy
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by QuantumCowboy May 17th 2008, 6:36 pm

Luky wrote:Read here

That isn't an explanation of why you choose not to, it is (possibly flawed) explanation of why you can choose not to.

I understand that database export is a custom thing for each forum and that your technicians would have to take the time to do it. But surely your technicians' time is worth some amount? For example, if your technicians make $25/hour and it takes two of them an hour to get me my database (I don't know why it would take that long or two people), why can't I pay you $50 + something extra for providing a good service (that's just an example)?

Because it physically can be done, there must be some price associated with it. Add up labor, equipment, and profit, and name your price! Whether that price is more than most people want to pay is a different matter, and not what I'm asking.

I have looked through every thread on this subject, and the question "Why do you choose not to do this?" has not been answered adequately. Don't send me a link to the law and lock the thread, I've read it, and that's not the question I'm asking. Don't tell me that your technicians would be inconvenienced, because I'm willing to pay for their time. What's the real reason?

Question
QuantumCowboy

Back to top Go down

Post by khairolnizam June 7th 2008, 9:03 pm

the above post really describe what i have in mind.. thx QUantumCowboy for expressing it..
khairolnizam

Back to top Go down