The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest Post Function (Tutorial)

3 posters

Go down

Solved Latest Post Function (Tutorial)

Post by MadFranko June 1st 2012, 3:13 pm

Hi

In the past few days the techs decided they had to remove the "*" wildcard function from the forums "search" feature... Sad

Now this has ruined a method myself and others were using to allow us to display on our sites a page full of the latest posts so that members could easily find all the latest posts... Evil or Very Mad

This is the code I had been using myself from a Widget, The Menu Bar and embedded within pages to give members a simple one click method of displaying all the latest post (a function a lot of us need and find useful for running our sites)...

Code:
<a href="/search?search_keywords=&search_author=*&search_time=7">Show Latest Posts</a><br />

Does anyone have any ideas/ suggestions as to how to modify the above code now to get it to display all the latest posts once again as you can no longer use the "*" as a wildcard...

There was another thread here in recent days where a member suggested just taking out the "*" wildcard but sadly this does not work and for some strange reason that thread has been locked and marked as "solved" which it has not... Sad

So any help/ suggestions getting a "latest Posts" function back up and working again would be greatly appreciated... Smile

Thanks... thumright

MadFranko

Last edited by MadFranko on June 2nd 2012, 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
MadFranko
MadFranko
Forumember

Male Posts : 27
Language : English

http://crap.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Latest Post Function (Tutorial)

Post by kirk June 1st 2012, 3:36 pm

I will have to find the other thread and read what they have there and why it's marked solved, If it's something the techs changed then we will most likely have to pass it on to a pro admin to ask the techs what can be done now, if anything?
Not sure, I do remember this from the other day and remember seeing *_ in the page tab when clicked, so not sure why that was showing or if thats what it was chaned to?

So i will see if i can locate the other thread now and try to determain whats what,
I have never seen this before so am not sure what your page even looked liked when the post came up. but do know it only goes to search page now, i have tested on my forum as well.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Solved I think i've solved it...

Post by MadFranko June 1st 2012, 11:23 pm

Hooray... I seem to have solved the problem caused by the recent removal of the "*" wildcard function... Smile

After much testing and changing everything I could think of, I finally got it working again and all with just the addition of a "%" in the HTML code...

Code:
<a href="/search?search_keywords=&search_author=*%&search_time=7">Show Latest Posts</a><br />

As you can see here from the bits I've highlighted in yellow boxes clicking on any of these will give you a complete list of all the Latest Posts On Your site as shown in these pictures...
Latest Post Function (Tutorial) CRAP01

Latest Post Function (Tutorial) CRAP02

So here for anyone who may find it useful is a short tutorial on how to create a "Latest Post" function for your site... Smile

To create a "Latest Posts" Widget...

1) Goto Modules - Forum Widget-Management - and select "Create a Widget"...

2) Give your widget a name, make sure you set "Use a table type" to Yes, Give the widget a title...

3) Cut and paste the following HTML code into the "Widget source" box and then click on Save...

Code:
<a href="/search?search_keywords=&search_author=*%&search_time=7">Show Latest Posts</a><br />

Then select your newly created widget from "Personal Widgets" and drag it to where you want to position it in your Widget list, dont forget to click save to store the widgets position.

To create a "Latest Posts" menubar item...

1) Goto Display - Headers & Navigation - Nav Links...

2) Select "Add a customised Menu...

3) In "Menu" enter the menu name and put the same name in the "Text" box...

4) Cut and paste the following HTML code and paste this into the "Redirection URL" box...

Code:
/search?search_keywords=&search_author=*%&search_time=7"

Don't forget to click on Save...

Now you should have both a Widget and Menubar item that when clicked on will display a list of all the Latest Post on your site... Smile

(I just need to figure out now how to fix my MP3 player that the wildcard removal has mucked up)... Sad
MadFranko
MadFranko
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by fionn320 June 2nd 2012, 4:34 am

Thank you, MadFranco! That was the perfect solution! Very Happy salut

Sorry I can't help with the music player.
fionn320

Male Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by MadFranko June 2nd 2012, 4:22 pm

fionn320 wrote:Thank you, MadFranco! That was the perfect solution! Very Happy salut

Sorry I can't help with the music player.

Your welcome... Smile

@ Mods

Think you can lock this one now as it seems to be solved... Smile
MadFranko
MadFranko
Forumember

Back to top Go down