The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banned User keeps coming back

+9
Aurath
Derri
JennyorAlice
Darth Apple
Nayomi
Asriel
Sir Chivas™
Sanket
Legendarystory
13 posters

Go down

In progress Banned User keeps coming back

Post by Legendarystory April 12th 2013, 2:23 am

On one of the websites I'm an Admin of,we have a user who was banned (IP and Email) due to his behavior. Now, he's using a proxy site to get around the ban, using a new email (he had 5, and he keeps making more)

I'm not really sure what to do here. If we ban his new account, he'll use the proxy, which hides his IP, and he'll just create another Email. What action do you suggest?
Legendarystory

Language : English

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Banned User keeps coming back

Post by Sanket April 12th 2013, 6:37 am

Just keep banning the user accounts. Don't IP ban, since he is using proxies.
Thats all you can really do.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Chivas™ April 12th 2013, 6:40 am

Hi,

For know you can setup registration on Admin acceptal only.
ACP >> Users & Groups >> Users options >> account activation: []Admin

To activate accounts,
ACP >> users & groups >> inactive users
Sir Chivas™
Sir Chivas™
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 6964
Language : EN, FR, ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Legendarystory April 12th 2013, 7:45 am

Yeah, we had the registration set to admin approval, but it's hard to tell if it's him or if it's a true new user. Since he changes both his username and email each time, it's hard to tell.
Legendarystory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket April 12th 2013, 8:24 am

Yes, its very difficult to stop these people unless they want to stop. So just keep banning them without showing them that you are troubled, they will go away sooner or later.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by Asriel April 12th 2013, 6:20 pm

You can also stop registration of new members for couple of days just to make sure he gives up at trying to register. I had to reserve to that action myself. While I know you limiting others from coming in, I think it's worth it in the end.
Asriel
Asriel
Forumember

Male Posts : 585
Language : English, Russian, Ukrainian

http://www.worldofmutants.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayomi April 12th 2013, 6:29 pm

Ensure that email activation is required and keep banning his account. He'll run out of emails and get tired of creating new ones. Just give it time. I know it sucks but that's the only way to honestly deal with it.
Nayomi

http://reikai.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Apple April 12th 2013, 6:30 pm

When issues like that come around, as a forum admin, there is always the fine line between stopping the trolls and being a disruption to legitimate users. Sometimes there simply isn't a perfect solution. Often disabling registration for everyone isn't the best solution, since trolls usually want the reaction, plus it basically takes away from the experience for everyone because of the behavior of one person.

I would personally recommend to just continue banning him as he re-registers, without making a big deal about it publicly. Over time, he will likely get bored of causing problems at your forum and waste his time elsewhere.
Darth Apple
Darth Apple
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 12th 2013, 11:58 pm

First of all you could have it written in your forum rules that proxies are not allowed on the forum. It's already been suggested that you should enable account activation by the admin only for new registrations. That should also be enforced.

Another thing you can do is set it up so that new members can only post in certain sections of the forum. Not on the rest of the forum until their posts have been approved by a moderator or admin.

To do this you would have to create a usergroup for members and put all your members in it. Then give them posting permissions for all forums.
Then set up the new members usergroup so that members who have just joined cannot post anywhere,except in one forum for new members. You could create a section of the forum for new members and have them post there. You should make the forum hidden from guests so only members can see it.

Then put the new members into the new members group.Then they will only be able to post on one section of the forum until you have checked their IPs and posts. If they are okay you can them move them to the members group.If not then you can ban them and delete their posts.

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyorAlice April 13th 2013, 12:24 am

I'd suggest using the 'new account activated by admin only' feature that has already been suggested by other members in previous posts here. That way the member that's been banned will stay banned while not punishing anyone else on the forum.

Also, I wouldn't let this person get you frustrated. It could be possible this person is just doing it for attention. Just activate users manually and let that be that. This person should give up eventually when they see they aren't getting the attention they thought they were going to get.
JennyorAlice
JennyorAlice
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1204
Language : U. S. English

https://literatureaddict.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 13th 2013, 9:31 am

Bazinga wrote:I'd suggest using the 'new account activated by admin only' feature that has already been suggested by other members in previous posts here. That way the member that's been banned will stay banned while not punishing anyone else on the forum.
Yes the OP should have activation by the admin enabled on his forum. Problem is you don't always know it's the same banned member until they post. Unless you catch them logged in and online the same time as you.

If the new members are put in a usergroup where they can only post in one section of the forum. The admin or moderator can then see their IP in their post. Though even then you don't always know it's the banned member. As a lot of users have dynamic IPs that always change. Though you get an idea from their postings.

Another problem is some users use sock puppets to make their IP look different. So you could have 2 users with IPs that appear like they are in different locations.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri April 13th 2013, 12:08 pm

Andrea Borman wrote:First of all you could have it written in your forum rules that proxies are not allowed on the forum.

The thing is, one can simply change their IP address with various methods other than using proxies. You can't really make a rule like that because its a common thing and nobody is going to mess with their internet to obey a forum rule. They'll either join and not care or they'll not join. Plus if they're a banned member already then its most likely they won't care for the rules.

Personally I'd suggest continue to ban the accounts and show it doesn't bother you. Activate email activation and have that in force for a month. He'll eventually get tired and give up.
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 8755
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 13th 2013, 2:17 pm

Well Derri,if they are using their home Internet connection it would not be a proxy. The other problem is as I said most people have a dynamic IP that changes all the time. Unlike a static IP that doesn't,making them harder to spot. Also some users use sock puppets,making their IP appear to be from a different location. Making it even more difficult to spot a member you have banned before. So there is no real way to know until they post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayomi April 13th 2013, 9:57 pm

I still think email activation and continuous banning is the best way to go. He'll get tired of trying.
Nayomi

http://reikai.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 13th 2013, 11:23 pm

Nayomi wrote:I still think email activation and continuous banning is the best way to go. He'll get tired of trying.
Yes,if he keeps creating new accounts just keep banning them. Also banning the email address will slow him down. Also have registrations set at account activation by the admin only, instead of by the member.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurath April 16th 2013, 2:49 am

We have had similer problems on our forum, users from another forum, created within a Forumotion, Forum, continually spam our site. We have had to turn off all new members and block IP's and emails, but they sit on there forum making comments about our users and trying to plan more spam attacks.

Is there really nothing that can be done? Our forum is small enough without people being put off when there account isn't activated by the admin.
Aurath

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy April 16th 2013, 5:31 am

Aurath wrote:We have had similer problems on our forum, users from another forum, created within a Forumotion, Forum, continually spam our site. We have had to turn off all new members and block IP's and emails, but they sit on there forum making comments about our users and trying to plan more spam attacks.

Is there really nothing that can be done? Our forum is small enough without people being put off when there account isn't activated by the admin.
Keep your forum moderated by having more moderators to guard your forum and keep them banning, banning their e-mails will help too. Wink
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Apple April 16th 2013, 2:51 pm

Does forumotion allow wildcards in IP bans? (e.g. 192.63.11.* ) I know my phpBB site allows for that, but I'm not sure if it can be done here. If so, you can usually ban a small cluster of IPs all at once, which can help the problem if the user is simply messing with their router or ISP to get another IP address. (Of course the disadvantage to that is that you might accidentally ban legitimate users as well. )

If forumotion does not allow for that, simply banning the email, IP, and username is probably the best that can be done.
Darth Apple
Darth Apple
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by puppycheese April 17th 2013, 4:58 pm

Unfortunately There are people that are relentless like this. They have nothing better to do except bother you. What I would recommend is just keep banning his email address and he will eventually get sick of creating new ones and he will give up. He's got to quit sometime.
puppycheese
puppycheese
Forumember

Language : english

http://www.converseit.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk April 24th 2013, 7:25 pm

All you can do is keep banning them, defiantly have email activation so they have to create new email each time

Or you may just want to put them in a group that have no permissions to post, see Any forum or sections . Then instead of them being banned they are just stuck in this group with no permissions what so ever.

But that's up to you if you want to try it or not.
And these days with VPN or things like Tor. There is no way to fully prevent someone from coming back. You just have to keep banning or place people in a group with no permissions. Also what was suggested above for having all new members access to just a couple boards until you feel they can be trusted to be granted to a members group with access to the rest of the forum
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Azi April 24th 2013, 8:00 pm

I have this exact same problem on my forum. Some chum keeps coming back and cause trouble. As everyone else has said, he will hopefully give up eventually. Just keep your staff informed and that ban hammer ready Wink
Azi
Azi
Forumember

Female Posts : 61
Language : English/Russian

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk April 27th 2013, 11:00 am

Ok this seems to be turning into more of a discussion thread.
the answers of a few different options have been said more then once so will be the forums owner and staff to decide what is the best way for them to handle it. I mean if we had a full-proof solution believe me it would be posted. But this is all part of running sites and you have to have good staff help with any persons that may keep returning with proxies or different accounts.

i would say always have to where new registrations have to activate it through their email.

or this like i had said above.

There is no way to fully prevent someone from coming back. You just have to keep banning or place people in a group with no permissions. Also what was suggested above for having all new members access to just a couple boards until you feel they can be trusted to be granted to a members group with access to the rest of the forum.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down