The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

View most recent posts

+2
Shadow
DSDU
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

View most recent posts Empty View most recent posts

Post by DSDU February 19th 2008, 3:54 pm

I have been searching but I can't find how to do this except by using the portal and I don't want to do that because I don't want them viewable to guests. Can anyone help me please?

Cas
DSDU
DSDU
Forumember

Language : English

http://dsdownunder.forumakers.com/

Back to top Go down

View most recent posts Empty Re: View most recent posts

Post by Shadow February 20th 2008, 9:47 am

At the top of your forums categories, you've got those 3 links :

Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Post by DSDU February 20th 2008, 2:05 pm

I have seen these 3 links but they are not what I am after. When I first log into the forum, I can see the new posts and I can also choose to 'view posts since last visit'. However I find that if I visit the admin panel and come back to the forum, this information is no longer relevant.

What I am after is the function to VIEW MOST RECENT POSTS regardless of whether I have visited or not since they were posted. Is it possible?

Thanks

Last edited by DSDU on February 20th 2008, 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
DSDU
DSDU
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex February 20th 2008, 3:39 pm

the view posts since last visit does show the most recent posts and upates regardless of whether you have visited or not. I have used that link for the past 6 months with no problems Smile
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 2804
Language : scotch och aye!

http://asylum.forumotion.co.uk/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by DSDU February 21st 2008, 1:51 pm

Well, I just double checked and it doesn't for me Sad The "View Posts Since Last Visit" only shows exactly that. It does not show any new posts that have occured during my visit Sad and I'm often logged on for a long long time...Is there a configuration option somehwere to change what the link shows me? It's really the main bug bear I have with this forum, otherwise, I love it! Actually, I just checked out your forum and can see that it does do what I'd like it to there but doesn't on mine for some reason?

Cas
DSDU
DSDU
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex February 21st 2008, 2:32 pm

thats very odd, do you check the automatically logged in button when logging in? if not try that. i cant think of any settings to change for it, so if that doesnt work i will pass over to tech.
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by DSDU February 21st 2008, 2:35 pm

Hey Max, I realise you're super busy (what with little kiddies and all) but would love if you've got a minute to look at my forum and check if I'm missing something. Thanks Very Happy

Cas
DSDU
DSDU
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex February 21st 2008, 3:15 pm

cas i joined and checked it over, posted an introduction, clicked the view topics since last visit and it came up fine. it must be a problem with your pc. Have you asked your other members about it? do they have it happening to?
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by DSDU February 21st 2008, 3:24 pm

I'm just trying to work out exactly what I do to make the prob happen...

Are the links "View posts since last visit" and "View new posts" the same on your forum? I'm thinking that what the actual issue is, if I log in, I can 'view posts since last visit' and that's fine. If I don't read them all, then log out and come back in later, and there have been no new posts in that time and then I click 'view posts since last visit' then I can't see the new posts that I had not read yet. Does that make sense?

Cas
DSDU
DSDU
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex February 21st 2008, 3:37 pm

yes thats normal. It will only show you the new posts that have been made since you logged out last time. If you then log out without reading them...it wont show you them again. Its why i stay automatically logged into my forum and have suggested a feature to be able to choose when you search new posts to. The links on my form are the same too Wink
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by DSDU February 21st 2008, 3:38 pm

ok....so I'm not missing anything then Wink Thanks. When do you think the new feature will be available Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cas
DSDU
DSDU
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by calmage February 23rd 2008, 4:44 pm

greetings...

I also have the post indicator issue on my board.

When you first log on or refresh, the new posts icon shows up. But look at one board, and all the rest of the "new post" icon's switches off.

That means one has to manually seach for all new posts.

The post tools at the top of the page are marginally useful.

The "new posts since last visit" is now working
but rather than the "unanswered posts" option (that brings up all threads with a 0 posting) ... why not just have a basic "recent posts" option that lists the posts in their posting order at any given moment for any given person.

That way a person only has to click on that to see all the active posts as their being posted on all the time.

Great board though. Love the open clean look of it, it has great options, it's easy to administer and the tech help/ help forum is awesome..
calmage
Forumember

Female Posts : 39
Language : english

http://www.clarity.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DSDU June 14th 2008, 4:09 pm

THIS is what I was after!

Brad38 wrote:When you do an advanced search on your forum, leave "search for keywords" blank, and leave "search for any terms" ticked. Under "search by author", put an * (asterik) there. Under "Search Options", leave "search in"...as it is. Under "search previous", open the drop down menu and select "1 day". Under "display as", select "posts". Under "sort by", select "post time". Now click "search". You will get a list of the current postings so now copy that URL link and insert it into your CSS or as a regular link where you can.

Thanks Brad38!! Very good

Cas
DSDU
DSDU
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 June 14th 2008, 5:30 pm

DSDU wrote:THIS is what I was after!

Brad38 wrote:When you do an advanced search on your forum, leave "search for keywords" blank, and leave "search for any terms" ticked. Under "search by author", put an * (asterik) there. Under "Search Options", leave "search in"...as it is. Under "search previous", open the drop down menu and select "1 day". Under "display as", select "posts". Under "sort by", select "post time". Now click "search". You will get a list of the current postings so now copy that URL link and insert it into your CSS or as a regular link where you can.

Thanks Brad38!! Very good

Cas

I Cas,

Glad you found this useful and you're welcome. Smile It sure did make things A LOT easier for myself & my members on my forum but still holding out for an improvement from the techs too. Wink
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Male Posts : 667

http://pigeonchat.forumakers.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ELITECASUAL June 15th 2008, 3:38 am

Hi this is exactly what i have been after too. I have followed the above guide to the letter but when i click on the link in the header it takes me to the advanced search menu instead of the new posts....

I have tried several times ensuring to copy the correct url etc.... please help
ELITECASUAL
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 June 15th 2008, 10:53 am

ELITECASUAL wrote:Hi this is exactly what i have been after too. I have followed the above guide to the letter but when i click on the link in the header it takes me to the advanced search menu instead of the new posts....

Hello Elitecasual,

When you go to do the advanced search in your forum, putting in what I suggested in the fields and click search, does it give you a listing of today's postings that way? Try to get the search to work that way before you actually copy the URL address to put in your header.
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by ELITECASUAL June 15th 2008, 10:09 pm

Brad38 wrote:
ELITECASUAL wrote:Hi this is exactly what i have been after too. I have followed the above guide to the letter but when i click on the link in the header it takes me to the advanced search menu instead of the new posts....

Hello Elitecasual,

When you go to do the advanced search in your forum, putting in what I suggested in the fields and click search, does it give you a listing of today's postings that way? Try to get the search to work that way before you actually copy the URL address to put in your header.

Hi. Thanks for your response. When I follow the instructions it does show todays postings,up to that point everything works perfect. I copied the URL and installed it into a link in my nav bar but when I use the link it does not show me todays posts, it instead takes me automatically to the advanced search page, I have tried this several times but to no avail. Once again thank you for your help.

Regards

Greig
ELITECASUAL
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 June 16th 2008, 12:30 am

Hi again EliteCasual,

I'm sorry if I'm not being helpful or of use...I'm a new member and forum creator as well. You have said that you've copied and inputted the URL code into your "nav bar", so maybe this is the problem. I have put the link to viewing "today's post" or posts in the last "1 day" in my forum's "welcome message". I don't know if this makes a difference or not. It certainly sounds like you know what you're doing but I'm not as experienced I guess.

Here is the link to my FORUM. You will see that I've got the link to viewing "today's posts" in my "welcome message in my forum's index. I can provide the code, but I don't know if that will benefit you and your forum. I haven't experimented yet with trying to put a link in the navigation "buttons" of my forum.

Does any of this make sense? I'm not sure and because I'm still learning. Let me know and I'm still trying to help you out.

Last edited by Brad38 on June 16th 2008, 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by ELITECASUAL June 16th 2008, 12:37 am

Hi again I see what you have done I dont have a welcome msg or anything similar that is why i need it in the navbar. I installed a link to ebay in my navbar and it works fine. I cant figure this out at all
ELITECASUAL
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 June 16th 2008, 12:44 am

Hi Elitecasual.

I'm sorry,but this is all I know this far. Sad I somehow managed to get a link to viewing "Today's post" or postings on my forum made within a 24 hour period using this advanced search and incorporating that URL link into my forum's Welcome Message. I really wish I could help you more and I'm sure there is a way to do what you want if you just keep working at it and experimenting.

If you have any other questions or concerns, I will be glad to try to help you and anyone else with what I've learned, so far. Embarassed
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by ELITECASUAL June 16th 2008, 12:54 am

No problem mate thanks for your help. There is a thousand things I need to do but I havent a clue where to start. I have been trying to get new buttons etc but when they show up they are tiny and can hardly see them.

Im completely lost and im ready for giving up
ELITECASUAL
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 June 16th 2008, 12:59 am

[quote="ELITECASUAL"]No problem mate thanks for your help. There is a thousand things I need to do but I havent a clue where to start. I have been trying to get new buttons etc but when they show up they are tiny and can hardly see them.

Im completely lost and im ready for giving up[/quote]

Don't give up...this forum hosting site is GREAT. It's really good and especially for those of us who aren't all that "program/code" savvy. I think this hosting site and forumotion is awesome. It takes time, patience and learning to get things the way you want. Ask, inquire, be persistent and you will be happy. These things take time and I'm new here myself...just over a month, but it gets easier and the features of this particular hosting site are really good. Smile

Keep in touch, don't be afraid to post your questions and concerns and be persistant, but diplomatic and people/members here will respect you. Wink

I mean this in the best way and because I've been helped many times by very nice and professional members and moderators. This is a forum but I want you all to know and who've helped me, that I honestly and completely thank you for that help. I just wanted to mention to any new members that you just need a little patience and you will get the answers you require.Smile

Last edited by Brad38 on June 16th 2008, 9:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by ELITECASUAL June 16th 2008, 1:30 am

Thanks for the vote of confidence mate, Ils tick at it and see what i can come up with. Mr. Green
ELITECASUAL
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by DSDU June 16th 2008, 7:10 am

Yeah, I've just tried to add a Nav Link but it doesn't take you to the search results but to the search form. Very strange why it would do that! I've got the link in my welcome message to but would be much handier to have it as a Nav Link.

I agree that forumotion is FAB! I don't have a heap of experience with forums, but I tried a couple before I found this one, and this was the only one that didn't have flashing adds, looks good and is SO easy to use. It does have great features (really LOVE the chatbox) and the help forum is awesome.

Cas
DSDU
DSDU
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by ELITECASUAL June 17th 2008, 6:48 pm

Does anyone have any ideas around this. I really need this set up as it is holding my forum back BIG time.
ELITECASUAL
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 June 17th 2008, 11:29 pm

Hi DSDU & Elitecasual,

I see why putting the link to "today's posts" won't work in the nav bar. For some reason it cuts off the URL link and because it doesn't seem to allow for URL links that are that long. When you do your advanced search like I suggested, the URL is VERY long so this would seem to be the reason it won't work.

EliteCasual, it's pretty easy to set up a welcome message to your forum and put the link in there. I know it's not quite as professional as having the link in the nav bar, but I think if you really want this feature to be easily accessed by your members, putting it in the welcome message is better than nothing. Smile
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by DSDU June 18th 2008, 2:34 am

oooo I wonder if the length of the url is the prob? If so, then tinyurl might help!! I'm going to give it a go....

Cas
DSDU
DSDU
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by ELITECASUAL June 18th 2008, 3:17 am

Brad38 wrote:Hi DSDU & Elitecasual,

I see why putting the link to "today's posts" won't work in the nav bar. For some reason it cuts off the URL link and because it doesn't seem to allow for URL links that are that long. When you do your advanced search like I suggested, the URL is VERY long so this would seem to be the reason it won't work.

EliteCasual, it's pretty easy to set up a welcome message to your forum and put the link in there. I know it's not quite as professional as having the link in the nav bar, but I think if you really want this feature to be easily accessed by your members, putting it in the welcome message is better than nothing. Smile

Hi thanks for your help, I really dont want to put a welcome message in though I really need to find another way
ELITECASUAL
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by ELITECASUAL June 18th 2008, 3:18 am

DSDU wrote:oooo I wonder if the length of the url is the prob? If so, then tinyurl might help!! I'm going to give it a go....

Cas

did you have any luck with that ?
ELITECASUAL
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by DSDU June 18th 2008, 3:46 am

ggrrr I already replied to this and my post has disappeared!

Yes, I just did it and it works!!! YAY I'm so happy Very Happy

Just follow Brad38's instructions and then put the url into tinyurl.com and then copy and paste the new short url back into your nav link....

Cas
DSDU
DSDU
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next