The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Classified Ads: Advanced Permissions? (How to Limit Guest Access?)

3 posters

Go down

Solved New Classified Ads: Advanced Permissions? (How to Limit Guest Access?)

Post by volvie! November 29th 2016, 09:49

Hi Forumotion Help Team,

In the New Classifieds Ads Announcement Topic:

https://help.forumotion.com/t148490-new-feature-on-forumotion-forums-classified-ads

A member (@DigiScrapCafe) noted that he / she was able to set the new Classified Ads to display only to members:

DigiScrapCafe on October 10th 2016, 10:48 pm wrote:Thank you, just created a section on one of my forums. I managed to create a category with 2 sections, one of which is visable to the general public, and one only logged in members can see and access.

With the permission settings I am currently seeing in the Admin Panel, I can limit Ad posting to members, but cannot seem to limit guest viewing or responding access (as there is no option to "copy forum permissions" or advanced options to select the guest "view" and unselect the guest "read" box).

If you have found a way to limit guest access to the new Ads, can you please elaborate on how you did it!

And, if you were able to activate advanced Classified Ads options, was there any thing else you were able to accomplish?

---

Thank you for your time and consideration! Very good

Take care,
volvie!

Last edited by volvie! on December 15th 2016, 07:51; edited 2 times in total
volvie!
volvie!

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Classified Ads: Advanced Permissions? (How to Limit Guest Access?)

Post by volvie! December 10th 2016, 11:44

Bump to keep the topic active.

(And, checking in to see if anyone has either been successful limiting guest access or has any thoughts or ideas on how to limit guest access in the new Classified Ads with the currently available options.)

A quick update:
In a reply to another question I had, APE said that the new Classified Ads are still in Beta Development:
https://help.forumotion.com/t149508-new-classified-ads-icon-display-new-only-one-icon-or-new-and-read-two-icons#1033655

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Take care,
volvie!
volvie!
volvie!

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Classified Ads: Advanced Permissions? (How to Limit Guest Access?)

Post by Legionheart December 10th 2016, 11:51

@volvie!, can you please confirm if you are talking about the view and read or the write and reply.

I have just tested what you are saying and currently guest 'view and read' is non-clickable. Guest 'write and reply' is clickable though and you can untick it.
Legionheart
Legionheart
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 721

https://help.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by volvie! December 10th 2016, 12:31

Legionheart wrote:@volvie!, can you please confirm if you are talking about the view and read or the write and reply.

I have just tested what you are saying and currently guest 'view and read' is non-clickable. Guest 'write and reply' is clickable though and you can untick it.

Hi Legionheart,

I am trying to find a way to limit guest access (so guests are required to register or log in to see and read the topics).
To achieve this with my (regular) Forum Settings, the only permission box I have selected for guests is "view."

And, as you mentioned, currently the New Ads settings are different than the (regular) Forums settings:

In (regular) Forums Permission Settings we can check / un-check "view" and "read" independently whereas in the New Ads, the "View and Read" are linked together and not un-check-able for guests.

Another difference I found is that in (regular) Forum Modify Settings, there is an option to "Copy forum permissions," but this is not (yet) an option in the New Classified Ads.

I am so curious how @DigiScrapCafe figured out a way to limit the New Ads to logged-in Members only!

Any help and or ideas are appreciated!

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Take care,
volvie!
volvie!
volvie!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape December 14th 2016, 17:14

Just to let you know. As for the gusts part this was made for your gusts to see your ads this is meant to let your gusts see what you have to offer but not post there own ads unless making an account on your forum. This not only helps you get more members but it shows Google things you should want your site to show. But I would also like to see this changed in any updates that may come in the near future.
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19075
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvie! December 15th 2016, 07:51

Hi APE,

I appreciate you taking the time to share the thought process behind the New Classified Ads development! Cool

Considered from another point of view:
Having guest access to ads may limit member sign-up in communities where people do like to share their personal information and/or do not want to be contacted by non-members.

Related thought for consideration:
Since social sharing is a big part of Forumotion, having the ability to selectively turn on or off social sharing in individual forum permission settings would be nice feature for those communities that would prefer not to have classified ads (that link to a member's e-mail address and/or phone number, even if hidden) shared on Facebook, etc.

The New Classified Ads are an exciting new feature and our community likes the new look / ease of use, but would prefer that the permissions can be set more similarly to the current (regular) forum advanced settings.

We will look forward to the continued development of this feature. thumright

Since the general consensus is that this feature has yet to be developed (and better suited for the suggestion category), this topic can be closed and archived.

Topic solved.

@DigiScrapCafe if you happen to come across this topic after it has been closed and have some advice to offer, please send me a PM so we can chat and/or re-open this topic.

Take care,
volvie!
volvie!
volvie!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape December 15th 2016, 10:52

just to add if you would like to see new things or have them updated on this matter you can always post about it and make a poll in our Suggestions forum it's a better way of getting members to vote and then our team may look at it some more.

Problem solved & topic archived.
Please read our forum rules: ESF General Rules

New Classified Ads: Advanced Permissions? (How to Limit Guest Access?) Left1212New Classified Ads: Advanced Permissions? (How to Limit Guest Access?) Center11New Classified Ads: Advanced Permissions? (How to Limit Guest Access?) Right112
New Classified Ads: Advanced Permissions? (How to Limit Guest Access?) Ape_b110
New Classified Ads: Advanced Permissions? (How to Limit Guest Access?) Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19075
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down