Making my own theme.  Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
+2
BlackScorpion
Scarzie
6 posters

Making my own theme.

Scarzie
    Scarzie

Female Posts : 1
    Language : English

Solved Making my own theme.

Post by Scarzie February 14th 2017, 6:12 am

Hey there! So I wanna make my own theme instead of using one that another has made, so my site is more personalized but when I downloaded the skin I wanted to base it off of, I wasn't able to do anything with it, my computer wouldn't even open it.
    Does anyone know what type of program is needed to be able to make a theme, or if it requires code, would there be someone willing to help explain what the different codes do and how to use them to make a theme?
    Thanks a million!
    ~Scarzie
    BlackScorpion
    BlackScorpion
    Graphic Designer
    Graphic Designer

Male Posts : 7010

Solved Re: Making my own theme.

Post by BlackScorpion March 15th 2017, 2:21 am

First the theme need s to be for forumotion forums, (If it is ) you would need to install the theme from your Admin Panel. You would then tweak the skin from within the Admin panel in either the CSS stylesheet and/or the templates. When coding what that means is your creating a theme from scratch. You would need coding experience. I'm not much of a coder so i'll let someone else fully explain that part.

Caroline01
    Caroline01

Post by Caroline01 June 15th 2017, 1:41 pm

interesting post.. bwi
    Draxion
    Draxion
    Helper
    Helper

Male Posts : 2518

Post by Draxion June 15th 2017, 1:45 pm

Caroline01 wrote:interesting post.. bwi

@Caroline01, second reminder. Please keep the content or provide a solution to the topic. This is known as spam. Thank you.
    Ange Tuteur
    Ange Tuteur
    Forumaster

Male Posts : 13246
    Language : English & 日本語

Post by Ange Tuteur June 15th 2017, 4:06 pm

Hi,

If you're creating your own customized theme, it's best to have some experience with the following.

• HTML
      This language will generally be used for template editing. (AP > Display > Templates)

• CSS
      You'll be using this language to design the majority of the forum. (AP > Display > CSS)

• JavaScript (Optional)
      I say this is optional, because JS isn't really needed for designing a theme. However, if you want to add dynamic functionality, then you'll want to know this language. (AP > Modules > JS)

• Image Editing
      You'll need an image editing program and some experience with one if you want to make images for your theme. (AP > Display > Images)

Now if you're unable to open certain files, that means you don't have the necessary program for editing code. In which case I have a few recommendations.

You should also be able to view the contents with the default notepad as long as you pick "open with...", but note that it's not a dedicated IDE.
    skouliki
    skouliki
    Manager
    Manager

Female Posts : 15161
    Language : English,Greek

Post by skouliki December 6th 2019, 3:12 pm

Problem solved & topic archived.
    Please read our forum rules:  ESF General Rules