The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edit Posts not working *Update posted* [done]

3 posters

Go down

Edit Posts not working *Update posted* [done] Empty Edit Posts not working *Update posted* [done]

Post by Data2link May 1st 2008, 7:27 pm

Everytime I try to edit a post in my forum it says "The length of the title for this topic must be ranging between 10 and 255 characters" It doesn't matter how many characters I put in (Even though it shouldn't require any since I'm just editing whats already there)- it still wont let me edit it. This is happening in all the posts that I split from other others. Is there any way around this problem?

Thanks in advance for the help Smile

Last edited by Data2link on May 2nd 2008, 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Data2link
Forumember

Female Posts : 272
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Edit Posts not working *Update posted* [done] Empty Re: Edit Posts not working *Update posted* [done]

Post by Skittles May 1st 2008, 11:02 pm

So it is not happening on all posts?? Just the one's that you have split off? Is it happening in the post that you split FROM, or the post that you split it TO. Or both?
Skittles
Skittles
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 3013
Language : English, Sarcasm and a bit of Swedish

http://moonlightcafe.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Edit Posts not working *Update posted* [done] Empty Re: Edit Posts not working *Update posted* [done]

Post by Data2link May 1st 2008, 11:33 pm

It looks like it's only the posts that I split to. The one that I split from seems to work fine. scratch
Data2link
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Skittles May 1st 2008, 11:42 pm

Okay I have just went to my forum, and split a topic and tried to edit the title after the split, in the new thread created and split off and to. But I was able to edit my title just fine.

Do you have this with all or just one like this?

Do you have another staff member who has permissions to edit posts, that could try themselves to see if it happens to them as well?

Just trying to figure out if it's just your forum, your computer for some strange reason, or what, before I move to techs.
Skittles
Skittles
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Edit Posts not working *Update posted* [done] Empty Edited***

Post by Data2link May 1st 2008, 11:56 pm

I tried doing it to others that I split- but it does the same thing- let me go there now and see if somebody else can edit one of theres. I will let you know as soon as I know. Thanks Very Happy

Edit--- Ok- so this is what's happening. I had one person post in my Introduce yourself topic. Then everybody started introducing themselves by replying to his- so I split up everybody from him into there own topics. Everyone that was split from the original can not be edited. - I get the error message stated above. All new ones and the original one can be edited. I know it's not my computer because I tried it at home last night, and now I'm at work and it's doing the same thing. As of now there's nobody on that has been split from the original that I can have them test it. If you still want them to test it I can do it when I get home and more are on.

Last edited by Data2link on May 2nd 2008, 12:07 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Data2link
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by zakir321 May 2nd 2008, 3:24 pm

May I ask what the exact topic title of your split topic was?

Just asking because there is a topic title character limit you can set ("General / Config / Topic Title Lenght"). This defines the min and max value allowed for your topic titles - in your case obviously 10 and 255. If you split a topic, this limits don't apply, that means you can create also topic titles with less characters. Now, if you edit a post within the splitted topic and the title lenght is below the minimum limit, the forum will return an error message again.

That means, to solve the problem, either change the limits in the path mentioned above, or split your topics always with a valid title that has more characters than the minimum value. Smile
zakir321

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by Data2link May 2nd 2008, 6:59 pm

Hmmm- usually it is the persons name- I will adjust it in the config and see if that doesn't help- Maybe change the topic title in each post's ariginal topic too. I know making the title longer in the replied to posts doesn't work. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks Very Happy

OK- Thanks for the help- it works now Smile

What I did is when I split the topics I just put their name in the subject line- even if it was only 4 letters. The split was aloud to take place, but we couldn't edit. So adding some characters to make it 10 fixed it. Now we can edit the posts Wink Thanks alot!

Last edited by Data2link on May 2nd 2008, 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Data2link
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Skittles May 3rd 2008, 8:51 am

Since this thread appears to be solved, I will lock this thread and mark it as solved.

Glad we could help!

Thanks!

Skittles
Skittles
Skittles
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down