The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pruning/Basket question...

2 posters

Go down

Pruning/Basket question... Empty Pruning/Basket question...

Post by Brandon July 23rd 2008, 4:58 am

After doing a search I cannot find the answer I was looking for. Every thread on pruning seems to get a different answer each time.

Here is my question:

I want to send old topics from only 1 of the forums into a separate forum that will serve as an archive. I do not want users to lose their posts and I do not want the topics that are pruned to be deleted from the board. How do I go about doing this properly?

Last edited by Brandon on November 9th 2008, 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brandon
Brandon
Forumember

Male Posts : 361
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Pruning/Basket question... Empty Re: Pruning/Basket question...

Post by Aloverssunset July 23rd 2008, 8:16 am

You can either create a new forum, name it Archives and put all old post's in it no matter what they are ( this will make it hard for memebers to find their posts)

Or create a new category, name it Forum Archives. add forums with category names, ok, lets say you have a
Graphic's Category in your regular board, so name the new forum inside the archive category...
Graphic Archive's,

or lets say in your regular board you have a

word game category, create another forum in your archive category and name it word game Archive...

Can you understand this? I know how to do it, just a little hard to explain it...lol

Sandra
Aloverssunset
Aloverssunset
Forumember

Female Posts : 256
Language : english

http://abeautifullife2c.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon November 9th 2008, 7:08 pm

hmmm...after doin some research, I am still a bit confused.

All I need to do is be able to lock topics from one of my category's (or move them to a locked forum) without deleting them and affecting users post counts/losing the threads forever.
Brandon
Brandon
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon November 10th 2008, 3:27 am

Ok...this is how I think it works. Someone please tell me if I'm incorrect.

First, you have to enable pruning in the basket. You do this by going to General --> Configuration.

Second, you select which forum will serve as your basket. You can create a new forum or select an existing one. This is where the old topics will go and will stay, without being deleted from the forum. General --> Configuration --> Choose your Basket forum.

Third, you select which forum(s) topics you want to be sent into the basket by enabling auto pruning. General --> Categories & Forums --> Modify the forum's topics you want to be pruned --> Enable auto pruning --> Choose your time frame.

I think what is confusing me is that if you enable auto pruning without enabling pruning in the basket, and select a specific forum to be your basket, then your topics/posts will be deleted.

My main concern is that I do not want topics to be deleted.
Brandon
Brandon
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon November 10th 2008, 8:03 pm

is that correct? ^^^

anyone??
Brandon
Brandon
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 10th 2008, 9:16 pm

When pruning is enabled as standard the threads are moved into the basket/bucket of the forum

They are not deleted just moved into one section to keep the rest of the forum clean

Follow the link for more information

=> Auto-Pruning

Regards

Craig

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon November 11th 2008, 12:11 am

Yea...I read that. It's just a bit confusing the way things are set up. If you want to keep the thread, then you have to enable pruning in the basket, but then you have to enable auto-pruning in the specific forums that you want pruned. The confusing thing is that the description for auto-pruning says that topics are deleted.
Brandon
Brandon
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 11th 2008, 12:14 am

Yeah its a bit stupid to be honest because when the auto-pruning is set up it should move the threads to the basket however if you have pruning enabled for the basket they may get deleted

Set it to no as shown in the picture below and you should be ok Smile

Pruning/Basket question... Autopr13

regards

Craig

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon November 11th 2008, 12:38 am

Wait...I thought you have to have "Pruning in the basket" enabled. That is what sends the auto-pruned threads into the basket.

I just figured it was worded wrong and should be worded "Pruned threads are sent to the basket" or something along those lines...
Brandon
Brandon
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 11th 2008, 7:29 pm

No no no thats pruning in the basket lmao

read the full thread linked here

=> Auto-pruning

regards

Craig

Back to top Go down