The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Software to make forums??

4 posters

Go down

Software to make forums?? Empty Software to make forums??

Post by RikaComet October 13th 2008, 11:57 pm

Here's a tricky thing i have been wondering for days.. that is there is a software that can help noob's of html/css like me others to create a diffrent type of forum altogether?
something similar to coffeecupwebsite maker??

If it just the looks i will gladly make a forumotion forum but i wanna set rights and panels
and every technical aspect imaginable

@Typlo: I guess since your good at these things do you know anything about this?? Rolling Eyes
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1536
Language : English , Hindi , Arabic , Urdu, Japenese , Punjabi , German

Back to top Go down

Software to make forums?? Empty Re: Software to make forums??

Post by Doctor Inferno October 14th 2008, 4:43 am

Why would you want to make forum softwares? There are already so many, phpbb, IPB, Vbulletin, SMF etc. You can just choose one of those.
Doctor Inferno
Doctor Inferno
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1331
Language : GeekPolice

http://www.GeekPolice.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RikaComet October 14th 2008, 12:41 pm

I don't wanna make one but i'm searching for one that gives more freedom in forum management not just apearance wise but also lets me to make technical rules and all that stuff

I will host my forums on forumotion .. but i want to be able to change things more than forummotion currently offers freedom to

(sorry for my bad english) Confused
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Inferno October 14th 2008, 2:56 pm

Er... Forumotion only lets you use the forum software they provide. If you want to use your own forum software like phpbb or vbulletin where you can fully customize it, you would have to find a website host or host it yourself.
Doctor Inferno
Doctor Inferno
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1331
Language : GeekPolice

http://www.GeekPolice.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RikaComet October 14th 2008, 4:12 pm

maybe your right about hosting maybe Typlo should know about this but he's been busy and i don't wanna bug him by PM,.. let him see this himself

I also think the html interface can be used for this..or maybe not well watever
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelia October 14th 2008, 7:47 pm

Hello.

I'm running a non-FM forum and I can say that FM can't host forums you download and install yourself. For this, you need a FTP account on another host who supports at least PHP and MySQL. And for your account management, you need an FTP client such as Filezilla.

Before you go for such a project, I suggest you to test forum scripts on your computer. As I suppose you're using Windows, you need to install Wampserver, in order to be able to run PHP scripts on your computer.
And for code modification, I suggest you Notepad++ who manages tabs (this allows you to open several files in the same window) and colors your code (much easier to find errors)

About the choice of forum script, they aren't all free. For example, you have to pay a license for a vbulletin or an IPB. If you don't want to pay any license, you have SMF (freeware), phpBB (open source), PunBB/FluxBB (open source) and MyBB (open source since last Sunday) who are the main forum scripts available for free on the net.

You can find useful links in this topic : https://help.forumotion.com/general-discussions-f7/only-topic-building-a-website-t11660.htm
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 4763
Language : I'M NOT A TECHIE OR A MOD, SO QUIT SENDING ME PMS FOR TECHIE STUFF OR LOST PASSWORDS !!!

http://ishimaru-design.servhome.org

Back to top Go down

Post by RikaComet October 14th 2008, 8:28 pm

hmm...I understand what your trying to say but I don't want to go that technical ways... well I bought a template for my site and uploaded to host

....But I have a bits problems maintaining it ,.. I need to know how can i edit it,
see this --- Link Well I originally asked Jalokim about it but since I haven't recieved a answer as of yet can you help me?

Here's the Link to my site -- http://nimbus.t35.com/
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelia October 15th 2008, 3:04 am

Ok, I see it's about a Flash template. But as I can say, I'm what a Frenchie can call a "has-been". I'm not so up to date to new possibilities since I left the staff.

But I don't recommend Flash templates because of severe accessibility issues :
- If a blind person (who use a screen reading soft) or a text browser (Lynx) user comes, he won't see the content inside the Flash application at all. The blind will just see a "big thing" and won't see the links inside, while the text browser user won't see it at all.
- There are people who don't have Flash plugins by default if they use Firefox, or if they use Linux (open source OS's can't include proprietary plugins by default, the user has to install it), and some people don't want to be forced to install a plugin just to view a website.
- Flash apps are heavy to load, and people having a 56 Kb/s still exist. Even for me who has a high speed connection, some Flash apps take more than 10 seconds to load, so imagine for low speed connection... Generally, the visitor's tolerance treshold is between 10 to 15 seconds, so if your Flash app takes long to load for high speed connection, your traffic will decrease.

You have to think for your visitors, not for you.
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Language : I'M NOT A TECHIE OR A MOD, SO QUIT SENDING ME PMS FOR TECHIE STUFF OR LOST PASSWORDS !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by exinco October 15th 2008, 3:32 pm

if you plan or test your skill you may use programming language like C++ to develop a forum. after that you can make lot of money from it(your skill and the forum).
exinco

Male Posts : 16
Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by RikaComet October 15th 2008, 7:46 pm

hmm..... cornelia i think your very right........ but i don't know how to convert this template from a flash one to a normal one so is there a way to do this ?
because i want my website to look just like that ? Is there a way for me to change it ?
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelia October 16th 2008, 2:43 am

I know XHTML/CSS, but I don't know Flash at all. And I'm already busy with a connectixboards skin where I have to do some corrections before I can release it, and also a special avatar set request Caihlem sent me.
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by RikaComet October 16th 2008, 12:00 pm

OK whenever you or someone is free can ya help me! whenever you feel like it!
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Back to top Go down