The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question: Phpbb3 or phpbb2 when creating a forum?

3 posters

Go down

Question: Phpbb3 or phpbb2 when creating a forum? Empty Question: Phpbb3 or phpbb2 when creating a forum?

Post by SophieDophs October 20th 2008, 6:04 pm

When creating a new forum, we need to choose a style for our forum and are given the choice of Phpbb3 or phpbb2.

I don't quite understand what the difference is between the two, and the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other, so I don't know which one to choose.

Can anybody advise?

Thanks.
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Question: Phpbb3 or phpbb2 when creating a forum? Empty Re: Question: Phpbb3 or phpbb2 when creating a forum?

Post by mogoking55 October 20th 2008, 11:20 pm

Well if you want to do template editing go for phpbb2 as this can't be done on phpbb3
mogoking55
mogoking55
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Question: Phpbb3 or phpbb2 when creating a forum? Empty Re: Question: Phpbb3 or phpbb2 when creating a forum?

Post by SophieDophs October 20th 2008, 11:51 pm

mogoking55 wrote:Well if you want to do template editing go for phpbb2 as this can't be done on phpbb3
Sorry to be a bit thick, but why can templates be edited on phpbb2 and not on phpbb3?

Also, when you say 'template editing', you mean the general colour, look and feel of the forum, right? e.g. CSS.

Thanks for your patience.
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Blossom October 21st 2008, 12:12 am

I would say phpbb3 as phpbb2 is going to be obsolete soon

jalokim told me
Cherry Blossom
Cherry Blossom
Forumember

Female Posts : 996

http://cherrydesigns.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by mogoking55 October 21st 2008, 8:43 am

SophieDophs wrote:
mogoking55 wrote:Well if you want to do template editing go for phpbb2 as this can't be done on phpbb3
Sorry to be a bit thick, but why can templates be edited on phpbb2 and not on phpbb3?

Also, when you say 'template editing', you mean the general colour, look and feel of the forum, right? e.g. CSS.

Thanks for your patience.
You can change the colors and stuff on phpbb3 but if you want to edit stuff like the ads on the bottom of the forum thats says

free forum free support forum make a forum you can remove all these and edit other stuff if you use phpbb2
mogoking55
mogoking55
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SophieDophs October 21st 2008, 10:44 am

Thanks guys.

Another question: if phpbb2 is going to be made obsolete soon, what happens to the forums already set up as phpbb2?

Will they be forced to upgrade to phpbb3? And if so, will this cause complications with their existing forum?

Cheers.
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by mogoking55 October 21st 2008, 12:06 pm

Phpbb2 is already made so is phpbb3
mogoking55
mogoking55
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Blossom October 21st 2008, 12:11 pm

I am not sure whats happening with phpbb2. I know that phpbb3 will be getting template editing in the very near future
Cherry Blossom
Cherry Blossom
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SophieDophs October 21st 2008, 12:21 pm

What other new features will 'template editing' give to phpbb3, besides the ability to edit the footer?

Thanks.
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Blossom October 21st 2008, 12:25 pm

well you can change alot. (i have never used this kilsek has told me its great)
Cherry Blossom
Cherry Blossom
Forumember

Back to top Go down