The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Number of views

4 posters

Go down

Number of views Empty Number of views

Post by servomap October 3rd 2005, 9:58 am

Hello,

I’ve encountered the following inconvenience regarding the number of views of a thread.

Views are only counted when the person viewing the thread is on-line. And I’ve just noticed that viewers who follow the link displayed in the “Last Post” column are not counted at all regardless of their status.

I think it’s rather discouraging to see that nobody has viewed one's postings so it would be nice if off-line viewers would be counted too.

Thank you,
:@: lice
servomap

Back to top Go down

Number of views Empty Re: Number of views

Post by The Godfather October 7th 2005, 3:14 pm

The number of views is only counted for members because otherwise it count refresh, new posts, search engine robots and a lot of other things that are not real views.

This count is just to see if a subject is more popular than another. After few months it's not necessary to see 2 000 views just because Google index your board too much...
The Godfather
The Godfather
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by servomap October 7th 2005, 7:55 pm

Gizmo wrote: This count is just to see if a subject is more popular than another. After few months it's not necessary to see 2 000 views just because Google index your board too much...

Yes, you have a point there with non-member views.

But my real problem is that even on-line members' views aren't counted if they enter the topic directly from the forum index. You see, in GENERAL ADMNI > CONFIGURATION+ I set Show the last topic titles on index. Consequently members can access the new topics directly and if they do so the number of views doesn't increase. I think this is a bug.

It was so devastating that I had to change that option and now I don't display the latest articles on the index anymore. I suppose it's all the same for a big a forum where you have tonnes of new topics in every sub-forum but I only had 5-6 new articles distributed in the different sub-forums so everybody looked them up by clicking on the topic name on the index. It was bizarre to see threads with 5-6 reply yet no views!

:@: lice
servomap

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Byte October 15th 2005, 11:33 pm

GIZMO wrote :Posted: Fri 7 Oct à 9:14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The number of views is only counted for members because otherwise it count refresh, new posts, search engine robots and a lot of other things that are not real views.

This count is just to see if a subject is more popular than another. After few months it's not necessary to see 2 000 views just because Google index your board too much...
Dark Byte
Dark Byte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Byte October 15th 2005, 11:33 pm

Read it may help.
Dark Byte
Dark Byte

Back to top Go down

Post by servomap October 17th 2005, 3:45 pm

Dark Byte,

Thank you for reposting Gizmo’s response. I’ve read it and it didn’t help. Maybe you’d like to read my reply too before supposing that I am completely blind...

I am complaining about views not being counted for logged on members.

Thanks,
@lice
servomap

Back to top Go down

Post by Tristou October 18th 2005, 11:15 am

Gizmo is a very busy person :DD
Tristou
Tristou
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by runiter November 6th 2008, 5:32 am

My Forum is not popular and I need to know how many non-registered people are actually reading the threads. I see you don't count non-members but you must at least shown the views in Admin Statistics and it's okay if it includes views triggered by search engines, etc.

If the above is not address I will have to switch to another free forum.

Thanks
Saied Nourian
President of Runiter Company
www.runiter.com
runiter

Language : English

Back to top Go down