The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Users cannot see buttons on site

5 posters

Go down

Users cannot see buttons on site Empty Users cannot see buttons on site

Post by kcabral80 March 17th 2009, 3:33 pm

Some users cannot see the "reply" buttons or any of the buttons on the homepage of the forum (update profile, search, etc) is there a setting somewhere to change this or i it their individual computers causing the problem?
kcabral80

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Users cannot see buttons on site Empty Re: Users cannot see buttons on site

Post by Sanket March 17th 2009, 6:04 pm

Since when did this start happening? A screenshot, URL to your forum would be good to understand the problem.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by kcabral80 March 19th 2009, 4:16 pm

hello here is the URL: http://rhody.niceboard.org/forum.htm

i'm not the creator of the site, just a user, but i know there are others who are having this problem. also, i can view the buttons at home, just not on my work PC so it could be that "something" is blocked here at work. i just wanted to explore all options.

Thanks!
kcabral80

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket March 19th 2009, 4:35 pm

Sorry, but can't help you out because i will need the admin to verify a few things like permissions etc.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest March 19th 2009, 8:22 pm

This is the same problem I am having here, one that I reported in another topic.

I would like to start a new topic about phpBB3 CSS patches to fix things broken by the new software "upgrade". For example, I have CSS patches to display undistorted avatars in the memberlist, and to display usernames in the post profiles as they were before they were (needlessly) turned into links. But I can't start a topic because the New Topic button isn't being displayed here. Nor are any other buttons.

There will soon be a point where I will get fed up with this forum and just leave. This problem has been reported by several people, and it's happening on several forums. Something needs to be done about this, and soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket March 19th 2009, 8:25 pm

werefree, we can understand your frustration. But as you know techs are working on issues. It can take as long as a week to fix all the things. Whatever issues you have with the forum just post it in the thread in the link in my signature. Typlo, does take a look at thread & replies.
Also, whatever issues are there you can PM them to any staff member, since you are not able to post a new topic.

I appreciate your willingness to help.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 March 19th 2009, 8:49 pm

This problem I'm pretty sure is a SERVIMG problem. The photo hosting that forumotion uses is very unstable. I have problems with various buttons, pictures or any image hosted on ServImg every day and it seems to get worse during peak hours. Many of my buttons and pictures are hosted by photobucket, but not all. Usually the ones that aren't are the ones that don't show up often.

I don't believe this problem has anything to do with the recent upgrades myself.
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Male Posts : 667
Language : english

http://pigeonchat.forumakers.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ZX March 19th 2009, 9:30 pm

Brad38 wrote:This problem I'm pretty sure is a SERVIMG problem. The photo hosting that forumotion uses is very unstable. I have problems with various buttons, pictures or any image hosted on ServImg every day and it seems to get worse during peak hours. Many of my buttons and pictures are hosted by photobucket, but not all. Usually the ones that aren't are the ones that don't show up often.

I don't believe this problem has anything to do with the recent upgrades myself.

servimg works fine
There are only a couple times where the images or logos fade
but this usually corrects after about 5 or 10 minutes.
ZX
ZX
Forumember

Male Posts : 210
Language : English, Japanese, Italian

http://pokemondarklegion.freeclanforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest March 19th 2009, 9:37 pm

OK, let's try this.

The default distorted look of the avatars in the memberlist is terrible on my phpBB3 forum. Until something is done about it in the code itself, those with phpBB3 forums can make those avatars look MUCH better by adding this line in your CSS:

Code:
td.avatar-mini a img {width: auto; height: auto; max-width: 50px; max-height: 50px; border: none;}
In addition, usernames in phpBB3 post profiles were needlessly turned into links. I say needlessly because each post profile contains a Profile button which contains the identical link now attached to the username. To make usernames look like they did before the "upgrade", add this line to your CSS:

Code:
.postprofile dt a {color: #000000 ! important; text-decoration: none ! important;}
Now...I hope forumotion puts back the online indicator code they commented out. And they figure out why buttons are mysteriously disppearing.

Back to top Go down

Post by scubascaff March 19th 2009, 9:50 pm

Im the admin for the site, what questions can I answer?

I made the buttons myself (slightly modifying the original templates), hosting them on servimg.

I occassionally get the problem of the missing button, but the link is still active, just a broken picture. From my understanding, I believe kcabral is missing the button and link altogether.
scubascaff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest March 19th 2009, 9:51 pm

Brad, do you have enough space to host your forum images in your gallery? I've been doing that since day one and have had no display issues with the images hosted there.

I'll admit that I have the luxury of doing this because I closed the gallery to members. That makes all 10Mb of the free space available for forum images, and with all my images uploaded there it's less than 10% full.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 March 19th 2009, 9:55 pm

werefree wrote:Brad, do you have enough space to host your forum images in your gallery? I've been doing that since day one and have had no display issues with the images hosted there.

I'll admit that I have the luxury of doing this because I closed the gallery to members. That makes all 10Mb of the free space available for forum images, and with all my images uploaded there it's less than 10% full.

Hi Werefree,

Yes, I do have a lot of gallery space and since I paid for more Smile This is an interesting idea, my gallery is open and utilized though...wonder if I can make a closed folder for the images so not to have all that stuff seen however. Just checked, looks like I might be able to do that! Smile I will try this and thanks for the suggestion!!!! Smile
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Male Posts : 667
Language : english

http://pigeonchat.forumakers.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket March 20th 2009, 5:27 am

werefree wrote:OK, let's try this.

The default distorted look of the avatars in the memberlist is terrible on my phpBB3 forum. Until something is done about it in the code itself, those with phpBB3 forums can make those avatars look MUCH better by adding this line in your CSS:

Code:
td.avatar-mini a img {width: auto; height: auto; max-width: 50px; max-height: 50px; border: none;}
In addition, usernames in phpBB3 post profiles were needlessly turned into links. I say needlessly because each post profile contains a Profile button which contains the identical link now attached to the username. To make usernames look like they did before the "upgrade", add this line to your CSS:

Code:
.postprofile dt a {color: #000000 ! important; text-decoration: none ! important;}
Now...I hope forumotion puts back the online indicator code they commented out. And they figure out why buttons are mysteriously disppearing.

werefree, the best place to post this was into the thread in my signature.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest March 25th 2009, 12:26 am

UPDATE: The buttons and icons on this forum re-appeared today. To whomever fixed this: thank you.

Now...please put back the online indicator code you commented out as part of the "upgrade". Thank you in advance!

Back to top Go down