The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Admin Can Viewing PMs in member profile

2 posters

Go down

Admin Can Viewing PMs in member profile Empty Admin Can Viewing PMs in member profile

Post by Avatar Freddy April 3rd 2009, 10:19 am

I have a new site that is still being tweaked before opening the flood gates
Sent a PM to a new admin member and I can read the PM,also there is the option for me to archive/delete the message. Even if this is an Admin only ability, I do not want it. I don't it for Mods, members or guests obviously. Can this be switched off - better still removed?

Please advise ASAP
FanQ
AF
Forumember

Language : English

http://avatargame.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Admin Can Viewing PMs in member profile Empty Re: Admin Can Viewing PMs in member profile

Post by Carryn April 3rd 2009, 2:29 pm

No, Admins can only read the PMs they send/receiver with users.
Are you sure you aren't talking about the Visitor msg?
It seems admins have the option to hide/delete the VM of other users.

You can switch that off in profiles.
Carryn
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1399
Language : none.

Back to top Go down

Admin Can Viewing PMs in member profile Empty Re: Admin Can Viewing PMs in member profile

Post by Avatar Freddy April 3rd 2009, 9:42 pm

that is confusing - normally a PM is a private message which in many forums I am on is just that and not a comment to profile - So yes it was a visitor message, I thought I was a PM (says so on the button) - you may want to mention it to house keeping.
<PM> for private message
<VM> for visitor message/comment
I am worried that new members will make the same mistake,as many will come from sites with obvious differences rather than similarities.

[/panic] but concerned!
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Carryn April 4th 2009, 12:40 am

Avatar Freddy wrote:that is confusing - normally a PM is a private message which in many forums I am on is just that and not a comment to profile - So yes it was a visitor message, I thought I was a PM (says so on the button) - you may want to mention it to house keeping.
<PM> for private message
<VM> for visitor message/comment
I am worried that new members will make the same mistake,as many will come from sites with obvious differences rather than similarities.

[/panic] but concerned!
The PM is private..visitor msg is public (until hidden at least)
Other members think it is an issue as well. There is a poll around here somewhere about it.

You can also make or request a new button.
Example:
Admin Can Viewing PMs in member profile Buttonpm_vm
and I believe the new pm/post new button only appears to those members who are on your friends list...with the exception of the admins (as you found out)
Carryn
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1399
Language : none.

Back to top Go down

Post by Avatar Freddy April 4th 2009, 12:49 am

Have not added freinds yet - so that is ruled out
The button is a lovely colour - but it needs to read as VM when leaving a profile comment and as PM when sending a private mssg

btw - it is best if a comment is hidden and then shown/approved by the recipient, -s it not? Just seems a little backwards to me. Maybe that's because I am used to it functioning in a particular fashion - I don't see the point of hiding it on your profile if others have ween it, and if you disapprove of the comment/mssg then you would delete it. I can't make sense yet of the way it works now... I could be a bit slow.

gotta say it again - love the button, reminds me of Wimbledon
Forumember

Back to top Go down