The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Age limit to run a forum

5 posters

Go down

Age limit to run a forum Empty Age limit to run a forum

Post by Rofling April 9th 2009, 1:28 pm

I've searched and can't find an answer to this question.

Is there a lower age limit for registration to be a member of or more importantly, to run your own forum?

Would it be ok for an 8 yr old to have their own forum?
Rofling

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Age limit to run a forum Empty Re: Age limit to run a forum

Post by magicm00n April 9th 2009, 1:30 pm

If you think an 8 yr old is capable to run a forum then I don't see why not.
magicm00n
magicm00n
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1305

Back to top Go down

Post by :)tayne:) April 9th 2009, 1:30 pm

you have to be ateast 13 to create a forum and if you are not 13 your forum may be closed down.
:)tayne:)
:)tayne:)
Forumember

Male Posts : 794

http://www.gamesarcade.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape April 9th 2009, 1:35 pm

yeas the rules to this site is 13+ so you have to be 13 to have your own forum and i think you have to be 13 + to have your account with a site aswell but not sure

my site is set to 13+ and ifr we find out your under 13 wewill ban you so yeah 13 it is

Age limit to run a forum Left1212Age limit to run a forum Center11Age limit to run a forum Right112
Age limit to run a forum Ape_b110
Age limit to run a forum Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19122
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rofling April 9th 2009, 1:37 pm

13 is the age that I would have expected - but I can't find anything in the T&Cs where that is stated.
I know an 8 yr old who is running a forum and I think it is a really bad idea.
I don't even know how to go about reporting it.
Rofling

Back to top Go down

Post by magicm00n April 9th 2009, 1:40 pm

Rofling wrote:13 is the age that I would have expected - but I can't find anything in the T&Cs where that is stated.
I know an 8 yr old who is running a forum and I think it is a really bad idea.
I don't even know how to go about reporting it.

How to report an illegal/suspicious board. Arrow Click here.
magicm00n
magicm00n
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1305

Back to top Go down

Post by Rofling April 9th 2009, 1:57 pm

So why does the system allow an 8 year old to create their own forum?
He's too young to even be legally responsible for his own actions!
Rofling

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk April 9th 2009, 3:11 pm

Rofling wrote:So why does the system allow an 8 year old to create their own forum?
He's too young to even be legally responsible for his own actions!

it dont matter if he's 8 years old if he has his parents permission to have it.
and as far as how dose a 8 yo create a forum.. well how dose a 13 yo get on a adult site? they lie. but like most adult sites they say you have to be 18 to enter so if someone lies then there not help responsible. just like forumotion can not be held reasonable if someone lies about there age.

remember there are parental controls and parents should be monitoring anything there children are doing on the computer. even some teens should be monitored. they get crazier then adults at times.. lol

but anyway if theres an 8 yo that creates a forum and they are doing illegal things. if anyone is going to be prosecuted it will be the parents. but unless there doing something really bad. they would just have there forum shut down like every one else.

kids are smart these days and very capable of running a forum. they probably could do it better then some adults too.. lol
Remember there are a lot of forums for children. i created one for my niece but my sister runs it along with some other parents.Plus they will not let anyone in they do not know. but some of the kids are mods.. lol it's funny but it's there place and they do all kinds of arts and crafts and ideas for school and just chat. but the parents run it.It actually worked out good for the children and parents that are on there. at least they all know each other and what there children are doing on there. and technically is private in sense people can not even register or see the forums. the parents have to put any new members in and there are even a few parents that are police officers too. you can never be too safe this day and age when it comes to children on the computer

so i kind of lost my whole point i was going to say. but as long as a 8 yo is doing nothing wrong and is being monitored by there parents theres no reason why they would not be allowed to have a forum.
so that's my 2 cents
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rofling April 9th 2009, 4:02 pm

The 8 yr old did not lie - they have registered with their real age.

Who knows if they have parental consent? Who knows if the parents monitor? It may be their responsibility, but there is also a legal and moral responsibility on behalf of forumotion to ensure the safety of children they allow to register.

He may be smart enough to create a forum, but he is not responsible enough to take on the legal responsibility of running one.

This child is left very vulnerable by the fact that an adult could ask for personal information from him - possibly pretending to be a child and there is no-one monitoring what is going on. There are no adults taking responsibility here. I am amazed that forumotion have been that lax as to not include any age clause in their Terms.
Rofling

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk April 9th 2009, 4:37 pm

Rofling wrote:The 8 yr old did not lie - they have registered with their real age.

Who knows if they have parental consent? Who knows if the parents monitor? It may be their responsibility, but there is also a legal and moral responsibility on behalf of forumotion to ensure the safety of children they allow to register.

He may be smart enough to create a forum, but he is not responsible enough to take on the legal responsibility of running one.

This child is left very vulnerable by the fact that an adult could ask for personal information from him - possibly pretending to be a child and there is no-one monitoring what is going on. There are no adults taking responsibility here. I am amazed that forumotion have been that lax as to not include any age clause in their Terms.

you are absolutely right.
but how do you know the person is really 8 yo? and how do you know if there is some corruption or a child being in harms way. you cant just assume that there is being some harm done to them. But on the other hand why even take the chance.

So report it to the abuse forum and explain how you feel about it.
it makes sense to me and there are scum that would pretend to be another child and everthing you stated. if they feel there some harm that's going to be brought to a child forumotion will not tolerate any such acts.

but now this leaves the door open for whats to say a 13 yo would or could not be vulnerable?

I'm sure they would take your report under consideration and just delete the forum.
after all it would be in the child's best interest if it is indeed a child. and if it is someone goofing off or impersonating a 8yo child i guess they know not to do that anymore.
so just report it. and let the abuse people deal with it

forumotrion should just have a thing set to anyone who tries to register or create a forum under the age 13 wouild be shot down.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rofling April 9th 2009, 5:26 pm

I know the child and know for a fact that he is 8.
If I knew his parents I would go directly to them, but unfortunately I don't.

I have no reason to believe that there is anything untoward going on at the moment, but I don't like the fact that this just seems so wrong.

Everyone here who runs their own forum, KNOWS the legal responsibility that goes with it. There is no way this kid has any comprehension at all.

13 seems to be the standard internet age for most things - forums, social networking etc. If forumotion want to allow younger kids to set up forums, they must have a duty to moderate them. The responsibility ultimately ends with them.

I have reported it - let's see what happens.
Rofling

Back to top Go down