The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Closing down a forum

+2
Sanket
pompey
6 posters

Go down

Closing down a forum Empty Closing down a forum

Post by pompey October 15th 2009, 4:53 pm

Hi,
Hope I'm sending to the right address. Due to circumstances beyond our control, my Society feels it is necessary to close down the forum attached to its website. I was the deputy moderator but the actual moderator has resigned his position and I don't have any knowledge of how to run the forum. Therefore my committee has decided to close it.

Can you please, therefore, give me some advice as to how this can be done, and whether you need me to provide you with the details of the forum.

Many thanks for any help you can give.
pompey

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Closing down a forum Empty Re: Closing down a forum

Post by Sanket October 15th 2009, 5:00 pm

Are you a admin of the forum?
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by pompey October 15th 2009, 5:09 pm

Yes, a sort of deputy, an arrangement which had existed from the last but one moderator (admin). The trouble is when our most recent admin took over the website and forum he had redesigned everything and set up a completely new forum, but hadn't passed on the new passwords etc. for me to access the forum (he was housebound and probably felt it wasn't necessary to let me have them as he wasn't going anywhere). The Committee have now asked if I can arrange to shut it down, hence my SOS to you. I can let you have the names if you need them.
pompey

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario October 15th 2009, 5:42 pm

Okay the question I ask before you do anything is did you change the founder email in the utilites/account so that it the link to delete the forum goes to you?

If not Admin Panel>>User & Groups Tab>>Search User>>Find that founder account change email>>Save

Then login to

https://www.forumotion.com/en/utils/ and then change the email>>Save

Admin Panel>>General Tab>>Under Forum on the left side>>Forum Delete>>Type DELETE>>Go to the email>>Click on that link that email gives and your forum will be deleted.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by pompey October 16th 2009, 12:36 am

I cannot find how to get into the Admin Panel, there doesn't seem to be a button to click.
pompey

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 October 16th 2009, 1:15 am

Closing down a forum Hello

At your forum, login and add /admin to the end of the url so it looks like:
https://help.forumotion.com/admin
Change the "Help.forumotion" part to your sub/domain.

If you cant access is, as in it says "you don't have rights to administrator this board" then you need to get into an account which has Administrator right's, and were specifically talking about the founder ( User =1 ), as only he has rights to delete the forum.
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by pompey November 19th 2009, 5:16 pm

My apologies for the long delay in coming back to you. I managed to contact the previous administrator of the forum, and he then deleted his details from the administration panel, leaving me as the main administrator. I then contacted all the active members and gave them a week's notice of the closedown, which ended today.

I have now been into the Admin panel, clicked on the 'O' which looks like a deep fried onion ring, and clicked on "Delete Group" against both message boards and clicked on Save. I have temporarily left myself on as administrator.

I believe I now have to contact aforumfree.com to close the account. Is this correct? If so, who do I address it to specifically, please? Once this is done I will ask our webmaster to delete the references to the forums from the Society's front page.

Many thanks.
pompey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilum November 19th 2009, 5:23 pm

Hello,

Is the forum hosted by Forumotion? www.aforumfree.com is not run by forumotion.

~ Tilum
Tilum
Tilum
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1759

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk November 19th 2009, 8:26 pm

pompey wrote:My apologies for the long delay in coming back to you. I managed to contact the previous administrator of the forum, and he then deleted his details from the administration panel, leaving me as the main administrator. I then contacted all the active members and gave them a week's notice of the closedown, which ended today.

I have now been into the Admin panel, clicked on the 'O' which looks like a deep fried onion ring, and clicked on "Delete Group" against both message boards and clicked on Save. I have temporarily left myself on as administrator.

I believe I now have to contact aforumfree.com to close the account. Is this correct? If so, who do I address it to specifically, please? Once this is done I will ask our webmaster to delete the references to the forums from the Society's front page.

Many thanks.

when deleting the forum you will type the word delete in and then it will send you a confirmation email address that you are deleting the forum. once that link is clicked the forum is history/deleted.

Tilum wrote:Hello,

Is the forum hosted by Forumotion? www.aforumfree.com is not run by forumotion.

~ Tilum

LOL Are we even talking about a forumotion forum being deleted here?
he might be talking about the links in the footer? not sure. but that address above gose no where for me?
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by pompey November 20th 2009, 12:38 am

That's strange, because if you visit aforumfree.com and click on the free forum support tab, the forumotion site opens. Surely that means there is a connection. But I have to admit that the heading on the top of the forum page which I am trying to close down is Editboard.com, but when opening the Administration Panel, the heading is aforumfree.com. It seems rather confusing, at least it is to me.

The procedure I followed to delete the forums (there were 2 of them) was to click on the Users & Groups tab, then click on Group Administration on the left hand side. This opened a page where various alterations could be made and included a tick box for deleting a group. I never saw a place to actually type the word delete in.
pompey

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario November 20th 2009, 12:59 am

Your in advanced mode right?

Here Advanced Mode
Closing down a forum Advanc10

Then Here is where the delete is and in the General Tab

Closing down a forum Delete11

This is what the Delete of the forum should look like

Closing down a forum Forum_10
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by pompey November 20th 2009, 1:12 am

Yes, I am in the Advanced Mode, but all that is shown on the General tab, under Forum is Configuration, Categories and Forums, and Security. That's all. I have opened each of these just in case, and under Security found the following:
Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:25 pm Group Deleted Group Newsletters has been deleted
Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:23 pm Group Deleted Group has been deleted
Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:22 pm Group Deleted Group Messages has been deleted

So it looks like something has registered!

Edit: kirk.
Removed ip addresses
pompey

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk November 20th 2009, 1:21 am

It's the same aforumfree.com.
IT confused me because i never seen it befor plus when i first went to the link nothing opened. but now it opens..

It appears you do not have the founders account. you have to be the founder to be able to delete the forum.So you will have to contact the founder and tell him to give you his password to login as him. or just tell him to delete the forum.

What you are seeing is just the logs. all admins can see them. but only the forums owner/creator/founder has access to certain options,the forum deletion being one of them.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by pompey November 21st 2009, 11:43 am

Hallo again,
I was just on the point of getting in touch with the founder, but decided to re-check the forums first. Guess what, they had completely gone, so it seems as though ticking the Delete boxes has worked. As it's a free forum I cannot see the need to contact aforumfree.com unless you tell me any different.

I would like to express my appreciation to you all for your help and suggestions. I was really floundering on this, not having had any previous experience of administering forums, so am giving you a really big thank you for your assistance.
pompey

Back to top Go down