The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Menu Bar Problem

3 posters

Go down

Solved Menu Bar Problem

Post by Al Smith November 13th 2009, 11:11 pm

I made a new member bar using Flashvortex but I have not ound out how to delete the current Menu in my Forum, the only way I could add this new menu bar was to paste the code into the Home Page Message, is there a way of deleting the old menu and replacing it with the new?

I would post my Forum here but don't think we are allowed.
Al Smith
Al Smith
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Menu Bar Problem

Post by musket November 13th 2009, 11:13 pm

post a link to your forum
musket
musket
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 1130

http://hemmingsdaman2.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Smith November 13th 2009, 11:16 pm

musket wrote:post a link to your forum

Hi,

Thank you, it is here: http://hardeodcafe.forummotion.com/
Al Smith
Al Smith
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk November 13th 2009, 11:45 pm

you have to only display images in the navbar. then go to your pic;s management and hide all the images.

then after that depending what version you are using i would put the new navbar/menu in the overall header.. or in as your announcement message to have it on all pages.

if your using phpbb2 or punnbb you can put it in the template
overall header = top of the page.

for what i said above first go to.

Admin panel>display>headers and navigation.

scroll down a lil bit and select yes for (Display only images in the navbar) then hit save.

Now to remove the images that are still there.
go to.

Admin panel>display>pic's management>advanced mode

right on the first page there you will see the images for index,portal,seach,members list etc...you just have to take out the image links then hit save.

but now keep in mind if you ever want to add them back you will have to get new images.. so you might want to right click on the images and save first or save the links in a note pad.. it's not that big of a deal you can always get something for them back. or make your own.

then as far as adding your new navbar/menu to the template. i need to know what version your are using.. but in the mean time you should have it in your forums announcement.

admin panel>general>messages and email>announcement

create new announcement. be sure to deactivate the scrolling and select for all pages. then hit save you have it set how you want.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Smith November 14th 2009, 12:06 am

Thanks Kirk,

I will try all of the above, I am not sure what version the forum is, it just says PhPBB at the bottom of the Forum so I have no idea if it is 2?

Many Thanks again I will see if I can get it to work.
Al Smith
Al Smith
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 14th 2009, 12:06 am

Try this in your CSS:

Code:
#wrap #page-header .navbar {display: none ! important;}
Add the script to your site description to get the menu to display on all your pages.

Personally I wouldn't do this, because more and more people are disabling Flash by default due to abuse of LSOs. You should stick with the forumotion-supplied menu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk November 14th 2009, 12:19 am

Dion wrote: You should stick with the forumotion-supplied menu.

I agree. i would usually make my own custom buttons/tabs to add.
but it's basically up to the forums owner however they want to do it.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Smith November 14th 2009, 12:24 am

Thanks guys, very much appreciated.
Al Smith
Al Smith
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk November 14th 2009, 12:27 am

Al Smith wrote:Thanks guys, very much appreciated.

No problem. Very good

i'll leave this open a Lil longer just to make sure you have everthing ok with it.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Smith November 14th 2009, 12:28 am

Dion wrote:Try this in your CSS:

Code:
Add the script to your site description to get the menu to display on all your pages.

Personally I wouldn't do this, because more and more people are disabling Flash by default due to abuse of LSOs. You should stick with the forumotion-supplied menu.

I'm no idea what or where the CSS is, I tried looking for it just now but haven't been able to find it?
Al Smith
Al Smith
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk November 14th 2009, 12:42 am

Al Smith wrote:
Dion wrote:Try this in your CSS:

Code:

I'm no idea what or where the CSS is, I tried looking for it just now but haven't been able to find it?

well Dion is what you call a css freak Razz (And i mean that in a good way salut ).
i would have done it the way i said. but css dose kick butt. it all depends what works for you the best and whats easiest to understand.. there are ways to do many things that are done in css with out using it.Then there are somethings you would only want to do it as css.

me i do both. i'll use css for certain things with the appearance then everthing else the traditional way.. not everthing has to be complicated..

anyway he is saying to add that to your sites description.

admin panel>general>configuration

past to your site description and hit save.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Smith November 14th 2009, 12:57 am

I know this will probably be laughable, I did exactly that, pasted into Description, which seemed a bit odd, it hasn't done anything apart from make the title look like this now:

The Hard EOD Cafe - U.K. Bomb Disposal Club for All Ranks

#wrap #page-header .navbar {display: none ! important;}EOD is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy!
Al Smith
Al Smith
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Smith November 14th 2009, 1:03 am

I guess I pasted it in the wrong place? I put it before the writing I had in description, should I take out the writing?
Al Smith
Al Smith
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk November 14th 2009, 1:08 am

Al Smith wrote:I guess I pasted it in the wrong place? I put it before the writing I had in description, should I take out the writing?

no it should fit in there. but i would place it after the writing.
to tell you the truth i do not see how did code is going to work?
idk.. it seems there would have to be something else that went with it in your css sheet? so pm him and ask him..

damn Dion had to come in and get us all mixed up on an easy solution i have already provided... hehe Razz

actually forget that. do it one of the ways i provided. unless he is going to come back and explain. you see because i think he may mean that will work only if you have not done anything that i suggested. but idk.. he lost me now.

but i do know what i have provided will work as well Smile

Last edited by kirk on November 14th 2009, 1:22 am; edited 2 times in total
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Smith November 14th 2009, 1:10 am

Can you guys help with what you suggested? was I suppose to physically paste it into the Site Description*: in General? I pasted the line you showed me above #wrap #page-header .navbar {display: none ! important;} should I have taken words out and added anything?
Al Smith
Al Smith
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk November 14th 2009, 1:13 am

Al Smith wrote:Can you guys help with what you suggested? was I suppose to physically paste it into the Site Description*: in General? I pasted the line you showed me above #wrap #page-header .navbar {display: none ! important;} should I have taken words out and added anything?

i have no idea? he dose this all the time he comes in gives a code and expects people to know what he's talking about?

i would say forget the css and just go with what i have suggested.
but it's up to you how ever you want to do it Smile
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Smith November 14th 2009, 1:16 am

kirk wrote:
Al Smith wrote:I guess I pasted it in the wrong place? I put it before the writing I had in description, should I take out the writing?

no it should fit in there. but i would place it after the writing.
to tell you the truth i do not see how did code is going to work?
idk.. it seems there would have to be something else that went with it in your css sheet? so pm him and ask him..

damn Dion had to come in and get us all mixed up on an easy solution i have already provided... hehe Razz

actually forget that. do it one of the ways i provided. unless he is going to come back and explain. you see because i think he may mean that will work only if you have not done anything that i suggested. but idk.. he lost me now.

but i do know what i have provided will work as well Smile

Kirk, I tried it your way with the E-Mail announcements and now there is nothing on the page apart from the actual Menu Bar whenever I press on something within the site, for instance: http://hardeodcafe.forummotion.com/faq.htm
Al Smith
Al Smith
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Smith November 14th 2009, 1:18 am

Aha! yours has appeared to work Kirk, I went back and clciked a few things, pressed the Deactivate scrolling thing and saved and now I believe it is working?
Al Smith
Al Smith
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Smith November 14th 2009, 1:23 am

Yes Kirk! that is it!!! A Huge Thank You to you for putting up with me while I changed this, what you went through has worked a treat and it is looking great now that the scrolling welcome bar has gone, it is now where I would have liked it to be :wouhou:

You are the Man!

guitar

Cheers

AL...
Al Smith
Al Smith
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk November 14th 2009, 1:25 am

Al Smith wrote:Yes Kirk! that is it!!! A Huge Thank You to you for putting up with me while I changed this, what you went through has worked a treat and it is looking great now that the scrolling welcome bar has gone, it is now where I would have liked it to be :wouhou:

You are the Man!

guitar

Cheers

AL...

no problem i am sure Dion had a good way as well.
he just lost me with it that one.. lol

Since the problem appears to be solved i will now mark and lock
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down