The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Setting Needs to be Changed to Avoid Invisible Ink?

2 posters

Go down

Which Setting Needs to be Changed to Avoid Invisible Ink? Empty Which Setting Needs to be Changed to Avoid Invisible Ink?

Post by hannahl3 January 31st 2010, 7:34 am

Hi,

I've found a lovely forum skin but I'm having an unforeseen problem.

The skin itself is a very dark one, meaning that the text colour is very light. Which is fine in theory until it comes to writing messages in topics, PMs etc, when the text box is white, together with white text, making it impossible to see what you're writing.
The option of using a coloured font in the message box is not an option as the resulting posts would look a right mess.

So - In Display >> Colours (I presume), which settings control the message box colours?
hannahl3
hannahl3
Forumember

Female Posts : 154
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Which Setting Needs to be Changed to Avoid Invisible Ink? Empty Re: Which Setting Needs to be Changed to Avoid Invisible Ink?

Post by kirk January 31st 2010, 7:43 am

what version are you using?

go to
admin panel>display>Pictures and Colors<colors.

scroll down to (Drop-down menu, form fields and header border color)
change it there and that should do it for you Smile
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Which Setting Needs to be Changed to Avoid Invisible Ink? Empty Re: Which Setting Needs to be Changed to Avoid Invisible Ink?

Post by hannahl3 January 31st 2010, 7:56 am

Dunno, how do you find out which version number it is?

Anyway, the solution above NEARLY worked - the search box, topic titles, message recipient box etc all changed colour, but the text box still stayed the same.
hannahl3
hannahl3
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk January 31st 2010, 8:15 am

that cant be right i just did it on my forum.
you must be using invision or phpbb3?

go to admin panel>display>choose a theme>then hit the version tab.

it will tell you there what version you are using and i will see if i can find it in your version or it can be done through css. but we will have to have a css person give you the code for that. i am limited when it comes to css Sad
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hannahl3 January 31st 2010, 8:23 am

Right, got you - its a phBB3 forum, but theres an option to change it to phBB2, punBB or invision too.
I did hear though, that phBB2 was being phased out. If I heard wrong, would a conversion to phBB2 work onto a hitskin without losing data?
hannahl3
hannahl3
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk January 31st 2010, 9:04 am

it better not be phased out that's all i use on forumotion forums.
because you can edit the templates on that version that would sux if they took that option away. unless they added the option to phpbb3 then that would be fine.

anyway.. you can change the versions to phpbb2 then go to where i said the first time. or you can use this css as a temp solution.

here is a temporary solution until some one that knows css better then my self can give you the code needed.. i am trying figure it out but it keeps going in the wrong spot... lol

So google some colored background images.. like if you wanted blue google blue backgrounds,save the image upload to tiny pic and add the direct link where it says background.

this will put it there and is only a temp solution until someone can give you the right code for it.

just place this in your css sheet and hit save. the background image i have in there now is gray.. so be sure to change it to what you want. if you have any problems just tell me what color you want it and i will add a new image there. but it's right where i have it pointed out in the second code.

Code:
input,textarea, select {
  color : #ededed;
  font: normal 11px Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;
  border-color : #ededed;
  background-image: url('http://i48.tinypic.com/xnuvj4.jpg');
}

Code:
input,textarea, select {
  color : #ededed;
  font: normal 11px Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;
  border-color : #ededed;
  background-image: url('YOUR BACKGROUND IMAGE HERE');
}
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hannahl3 January 31st 2010, 9:45 am

The problem with phbb2 is that the skin I found is only in the phbb3 list, so I'm going to hang on and get the css sorted. Also I HATE that emoticon menu thats in your face when you write messages!

Now - when you say theres an image in the code, its not an image that I wanted. The skin itself is perfect as it is, all except for the text areas showing white writing on a white background.

So - is the image designed to overwrite the white text area?

(Edit) Oh, and when you say to just paste the code into the css, is that into the original css or into the notepad on Display >> Colours >> CSS sheet?
hannahl3
hannahl3
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk January 31st 2010, 10:20 am

What color would like there.

And yes you would go to admin panel>dispaly>colors>css sheet,past the code there and hit save.
here's my example. i will change the image to black instead of the gray.
or here lol better yet i added a brick wall.. hehe but you can add just a color background pic if you wanted . what ever you want.

Example
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hannahl3 January 31st 2010, 6:01 pm

Well the forum template is a dark grey one, so something similar for the text box would be fine.

Am going to try your image fix solution now, but also am going to try applying the template and then converting it to phbb2 and see if that works
hannahl3
hannahl3
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by hannahl3 January 31st 2010, 6:27 pm

I apologise in advance for the 'double posting', but this deserves a post, if not a thread, indeed a whole forum to itself!

The Hannah theory of applying and editing phpBB3 templates runs thus -

If you need to edit the textareas colours on a phpBB3 template -

1) Convert the forum to phbb2

2) Edit the colurs in Display >> Colours >> DropdownMenuu, FormFields, Header

3) Preview and save if you're happy.

4) Convert it back to phpBB3

Your new colour fields will stay applied in this new version -

QUAD ERAT DEMONSTRARUM and autographs will be on sale at the bar!
hannahl3
hannahl3
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk January 31st 2010, 6:32 pm

i am not sure if i follow that but if it worked cool Cool
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hannahl3 January 31st 2010, 6:41 pm

Its like before when you tried editing the textarea and it wouldnt change colour.
Convert your phbb3 forum into phbb2 to apply the changes, then convert it back to phbb3, when its all tickety-boo.
hannahl3
hannahl3
Forumember

Back to top Go down