The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Google Chrome is detecting Malware on my site

4 posters

Go down

Solved Google Chrome is detecting Malware on my site

Post by smilie fan May 3rd 2010, 7:20 pm

Hi. I ran into an issue today where I was not able to access ForuMansions website today. I was advised to switch from IE8 to the new google chrome.

I did that and have been able to access ForuMansion, but that's not the problem anymore. There is now a new issue that I'm dealing with. Now when I go to access my website via google chrome, it brings me to this red page which says:

Warning! Visiting this site may harm your computer!
It names my website as having this image: image4.malware-site.www which appears to host malware.

I'm running a scan now as I do them frequently. And am quite confused as to how to rememdy this with the link they provide for the safe browsing diagnostic page. As I read the procedure, we are advised to go to the database, which we don't have access to... so that's no help.

I'd also like to add that when I log into my google webmaster tools, malware is not found. And yet, this warning sign pops up when I visit my site and says there is malware. (I would imagine it does the same thing when others visit my site too.) *sighs*

I've been working really hard on my website, and now this. How am I going to attract more members to my site when this warning sign is being displayed... I don't think I'll get many.

I need to advice on how to remedy this. Please help.

Thank you!
smilie fan
smilie fan
Forumember

Female Posts : 81
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Google Chrome is detecting Malware on my site

Post by kirk May 3rd 2010, 7:26 pm

have you tried it on a different browser.
it's probably nothing more then a false positive or check any firewall settings you have or virus protection to allow the site. it may be just that it is not recognizing the site.. forumansion i be live is roks forum and i dont recall him haveing any problems with it.. but it could be a add or a image with a corrupt code in it as well.

whats the link.. i would try with a different browser as well.

Nd i will pm him and direct him to this thread too.

is this the link?
http://www.forumansion.com/forum.htm

thee was another page it went to first too.
i have tried with IE and firerfox and nothing is coming up for me.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by smilie fan May 3rd 2010, 7:34 pm

kirk wrote:have you tried it on a different browser.
it's probably nothing more then a false positive or check any firewall settings you have or virus protection to allow the site. it may be just that it is not recognizing the site.. forumansion i be live is roks forum and i dont recall him haveing any problems with it.. but it could be a add or a image with a corrupt code in it as well.

whats the link.. i would try with a different browser as well.

Nd i will pm him and direct him to this thread too.

Hi Kirk,

Thank you for the quick response. I really appreciate it.

It very well might be a false positive, but would like to know for sure and I will check my firewall settings as soon as I'm done replying to you.

I have tried it with IE8 and Google Chrome only, as I cannot access other browsers at the moment. IE8 detects nothing, yet Google Chrome does. Strange, but true.

You are correct, ForuMansion is Roks site and I have sent him a message about this as well, although I don't believe it is coming from his site... not sure where it is coming from to be honest. I'm just relaying the information that Google Chrome pops up with when I went to view my site after installing it. My url is: http://hs-studentconnect.forumotion.com

Thanks so very much for all of your help. XD
smilie fan
smilie fan
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk May 3rd 2010, 7:43 pm

it might be a add or something. either way dont think it's anything to worry about but is always better to be safe then sorry. i have sent him a p0m too. so he will check it out and get back ya..

But like i said i am not getting anything with IE OR firefox. browsers can drive you nuts sometimes.. i hate it sometimes. somethings works on one,then other things dont. it's a pain in the butt.... lol i these idiot companies need to get there shit together and be compatible with one and other.

especially when it comes to forum appearances.. it's like you have to create stuff with three different browser tabs open just to make sure everything is going to appeared the same way on each browser.. it can be a nightmare... and a real pain.. what sux is this crap has only been starting to happen withing like the last 5 years.. so it's all a big scam and certain things are created this way intentionally by competing companies to try to get you to use there browser.And in the process the people have to suffer because they ar nothing more then a bunch of money hungry capitalist.

hahaha oh man.. yes i had a few annoying run in problems wile using different browsers.
it's all part of the wonderful world wide web i guess.. lol

then you said it was something with a tinypic image or smoothing? Hmmm? dunno
but tinyic is no good i would never recommend anyone to every use that image host.
But thats a whole other thing..

Anyway just hang tight he will get back to you when he recive the Pm's
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by smilie fan May 3rd 2010, 8:08 pm

kirk wrote:it might be a add or something. either way dont think it's anything to worry about but is always better to be safe then sorry. i have sent him a p0m too. so he will check it out and get back ya..

But like i said i am not getting anything with IE OR firefox. browsers can drive you nuts sometimes.. i hate it sometimes. somethings works on one,then other things dont. it's a pain in the butt.... lol i these idiot companies need to get there shit together and be compatible with one and other.

especially when it comes to forum appearances.. it's like you have to create stuff with three different browser tabs open just to make sure everything is going to appeared the same way on each browser.. it can be a nightmare... and a real pain.. what sux is this crap has only been starting to happen withing like the last 5 years.. so it's all a big scam and certain things are created this way intentionally by competing companies to try to get you to use there browser.And in the process the people have to suffer because they ar nothing more then a bunch of money hungry capitalist.

hahaha oh man.. yes i had a few annoying run in problems wile using different browsers.
it's all part of the wonderful world wide web i guess.. lol

Anyway just hang tight he will get back to you when he recive the Pm's

You know, it might be, but I'm not 100% sure on it though. I did a search on image4.malware-site.www and it turned up a website that is similar to the the very popular http://www.tinypic.com website. Interesting... I wonder if that is where it is all stemming from, and if others have experience this with this warning with that image as well?

OK, I sure will. I totally agree that these companies need to get it together. It's just nuts!!

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out on this post, and wait to hear back from Rok. If I find out anything I'll let you know.

Thank you for all of your help Kirk, I really appreciate it. I hope you have an awesome day!
smilie fan
smilie fan
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Rok May 3rd 2010, 9:59 pm

Hello Smilie Fan. I have brought up a topic in the staff room here on this forum concerning the "malware problem" you appear to have. Also, it seems that other members of the forum are having an issue with the scrollbar on the forum index disappearing, so they aren't able to scroll down the index page of the forum. I have no idea what's happening on ForuMansion right now. I also have no Tinypic-hosted images anywhere on the forum or forum homepage.
Rok
Rok
Energetic

Male Posts : 6823
Language : idk

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk May 3rd 2010, 10:10 pm

is it in the staff room. i dont remember seeing it.
it has to be a add or corrupt code some where..

what exactly is coming up? see if you can get a screen shot. and as far as the info or what ever it is from the so called tinypic thing post that and any links leading to what it might be.

Other then that rock do you have html enabled for the whole forum.
if so turn that off and just go through some post of members.. and look for any html codes.. but if a member had a stupid code in a post it would only show in the thread and not when you go to enter the forum.

other then that double check all your custum stuff.. i mean all we can try to do is narrow it down and see if we can find the source of the problem if it's even a real problem or threat.

but i went there with firefox and ie and am getting nothing what so ever out of the ordinary.. I'll run a scan too with my avast.. but if there was a serious threat on the page my avast would have went off..

but I'll do a scan anyway just to see.. i mean i do not really feel like dl chrome.. i have ie and firefox thats all i need, but if i have to i will just to see my self if i am getting the same thing.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rok May 3rd 2010, 10:25 pm

Edit:
OH MY GOD. How stupid of me! I was wrong all along... the problem was that I accidently left a '>' in the 'title' HTML tag! Oh my gosh, all of that trouble just for a title HTML tag! Wow, I feel stupid, lol. I can't believe I let that actually slip right passed me. It appears that the problem has now been fixed on ForuMansion.

And Smilie Fan, as for your Google Chrome problem... I believe that everyone gets that message the very first time that they visit an unknown website. If I remember clearly, I actually do remember something like that appearing up when I first started using Google Chrome. But anyway, you can switch back to your old browser now that the problem has been fixed. Overall, Google Chrome is still the ideal browser to use for ForuMansion. And like Kirk stated, it's a bloody mess to get ForuMansion working idealistically for all browsers; so, Google Chrome shall work the best since I edited ForuMansion with that browser.

Previous message"
Spoiler:
Rok
Rok
Energetic

Male Posts : 6823
Language : idk

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk May 3rd 2010, 10:42 pm

i noticed the scrollbar problem too. i thought that was how the forum was set or something. i think the scroll bar issue is being caused by that online add bar thing you have.

where do you have that. is it in the footer? first i would remove that just to see if the scroll comes back..

also for IE i have seven as well.. 8 seemed to have to many glitch but might be better now. it's been a wile.. anyway the only thing that i get is a thing on the information bar saying the web site wants to run a following add on from quick time..

so thats nothing

Ok now moving along.. i just installed chrome and god is this offal... haha
i am just not used to it.. but i went to forumansion and am not getting anything what so ever to do with any threats. also you index page is scrolling fine on here.

Ok just went there on firefox.. once again no threats coming up and on firefox the scroll on the index is working fine.

So as far as this malware thing i dint get anything at all on all three browsing indicating any threats.

so going back to the scroll thing. this is obviously one of those problems to ware the code for you advert is conflicting with ie and causing your index not scroll.. so i would send the code to rono to have look at it and see if he can get it to be compatible with ie. ?

but remember rono is more of a firefox person so he might not know.
but it' definitely that advert code dose not like ie and is not working correctly on ie browser..

so once again just to test it. i would remove the code then see if the scroll comes back on ie. and if you can send me the code too i want try to test a few things with it. i think i remember solving almost the same problem for some one a couple months ago but forget how we got it to work..

so send me that code i want to have a look at it and try a few things.
and be sure to tell me where you have the code now?

As far as the malware i dont see anything indicating you have anything on the page.

info added

hah ahaha lol. well at least you got it worked out.
it's kind of funny how it only effected IE.

Oh and no rok i dint get the message when i went to formansion on chrome.
so dunno.. but cool man you got it worked out.. we'll leave the thread open a lil longer for smile to reply incase he still has any questions
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by smilie fan May 4th 2010, 1:41 am

kirk wrote:is it in the staff room. i dont remember seeing it.
it has to be a add or corrupt code some where..

what exactly is coming up? see if you can get a screen shot. and as far as the info or what ever it is from the so called tinypic thing post that and any links leading to what it might be.

Other then that rock do you have html enabled for the whole forum.
if so turn that off and just go through some post of members.. and look for any html codes.. but if a member had a stupid code in a post it would only show in the thread and not when you go to enter the forum.

other then that double check all your custum stuff.. i mean all we can try to do is narrow it down and see if we can find the source of the problem if it's even a real problem or threat.

but i went there with firefox and ie and am getting nothing what so ever out of the ordinary.. I'll run a scan too with my avast.. but if there was a serious threat on the page my avast would have went off..

but I'll do a scan anyway just to see.. i mean i do not really feel like dl chrome.. i have ie and firefox thats all i need, but if i have to i will just to see my self if i am getting the same thing.

Rok wrote:Edit:
OH MY GOD. How stupid of me! I was wrong all along... the problem was that I accidently left a '>' in the 'title' HTML tag! Oh my gosh, all of that trouble just for a title HTML tag! Wow, I feel stupid, lol. I can't believe I let that actually slip right passed me. It appears that the problem has now been fixed on ForuMansion.

And Smilie Fan, as for your Google Chrome problem... I believe that everyone gets that message the very first time that they visit an unknown website. If I remember clearly, I actually do remember something like that appearing up when I first started using Google Chrome. But anyway, you can switch back to your old browser now that the problem has been fixed. Overall, Google Chrome is still the ideal browser to use for ForuMansion. And like Kirk stated, it's a bloody mess to get ForuMansion working idealistically for all browsers; so, Google Chrome shall work the best since I edited ForuMansion with that browser.

Previous message"
Spoiler:

Hello Rok and Kirk,

Thanks guys for looking at some things.

Rok, I'm able to visit your forum now with no problems, thank you.

Kirk, thanks for all of your help today too.

I really appreciate the both of you helping me with this, as it is still happening and I'm not entirely happy about it for many reasons. I took screen shots for you, although I don't know if it will do much good. I can only hope there can be something done.

This is the shot that comes up right after my url loads, and if you look in one of my first posts, I do name the info that is on this screen shot. (I'm not sure if you can see it though.)

Google Chrome is detecting Malware on my site 25k7fd2

On the first screen shot, there is a link that google provides for diagnostics called, Safe browsing diagnostic page. Once you click that link, it takes you to this screen shot below,

Google Chrome is detecting Malware on my site 2q3u06o

.. and says this on that screen shot.

Spoiler:

I hope the screenshots and information helps to resolve this. I won't be able to attract members with this browser, that's for sure.

Oh and one more bit, the image they are referring to is not a tinypic picture from tinypic dot com. It is a website that is almost just like tinypic doc com.

Thanks for everything.
smilie fan
smilie fan
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario May 4th 2010, 2:25 am

You have images hosted at tinypic? Host them somewhere else.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by smilie fan May 4th 2010, 2:35 am

MrMario wrote:You have images hosted at tinypic? Host them somewhere else.

MrMario, I do have images hosted with http://www.tinypic.com but the images I have there are are not the problem.

From the search I did earlier today, the image or images in question here are hosted on another site that is very "similar" to tinypic, but it is not tinypic dot com. Please see this link. This is where my search ended up:

http://img6.malware-site.www/

Edited to say: I don't have any images hosted on that "similar" site.

Thank you
smilie fan
smilie fan
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario May 4th 2010, 3:00 am

Did you happen to put any codes on your forum? If so it is most likely that it is causing this problem.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by smilie fan May 4th 2010, 3:11 am

MrMario wrote:Did you happen to put any codes on your forum? If so it is most likely that it is causing this problem.

What kind of codes?

I've modified my css style sheet a bit, and created an html portal and another page that has feeds coming into it... and I don't have html on, but do have bb codes enabled.

I don't think I have much more than that, though. I'm not sure what other kids of codes you mean. Sorry.
smilie fan
smilie fan
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario May 4th 2010, 3:16 am

Anything really. Like adding something to the homepage message, widget, ad's etc...

Sometimes what works is that you just leave the problem alone and the problem is gone. Wait about two days and see if people do. I bet its the ad's you can always pay to remove them.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by smilie fan May 4th 2010, 3:30 am

MrMario wrote:Anything really. Like adding something to the homepage message, widget, ad's etc...

Sometimes what works is that you just leave the problem alone and the problem is gone. Wait about two days and see if people do. I bet its the ad's you can always pay to remove them.

Ok. I thought of that after I replied. I do have a message on my portal and widgets throughout the portal as well as my homepage.

I do pay for ad removal for my members only. Would this happen with ads that are not paid for with the guest option?
smilie fan
smilie fan
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk May 4th 2010, 9:45 pm

i cant see the screen shots.. and whats the link to your forum.

And you should really con cider getting rid of any tinypic images.. use image shack or servimg.

trust me.. tinypic are no good and will just screw you over in the long run.
i just went through two weeks of arguing with them.. so believe me when i say.. you do not want to host you images with them.

once the find out if you ever have image with a link in it leading somewhere.
they we delete and wipe out every image you ever uploaded to them..

thats what they did to me and i had literally hundreds of html pages. people forums websites,custom icons button tabs..all gone because of them. so yeah they are no good never use them.

For some reason they just like people adding links leading to other places with imjages uploaded to there host.. yopu know why. because it's not going back to there site.

anyway back on topic here.

i cant see the screen shots and i need your link to see if the same thing comes up for me.. i thought you meant this was happening on roks site not yours. So i never tried your site yesterday
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by smilie fan May 5th 2010, 8:38 am

kirk wrote:i cant see the screen shots.. and whats the link to your forum.

And you should really con cider getting rid of any tinypic images.. use image shack or servimg.

trust me.. tinypic are no good and will just screw you over in the long run.
i just went through two weeks of arguing with them.. so believe me when i say.. you do not want to host you images with them.

once the find out if you ever have image with a link in it leading somewhere.
they we delete and wipe out every image you ever uploaded to them..

thats what they did to me and i had literally hundreds of html pages. people forums websites,custom icons button tabs..all gone because of them. so yeah they are no good never use them.

For some reason they just like people adding links leading to other places with imjages uploaded to there host.. yopu know why. because it's not going back to there site.

anyway back on topic here.

i cant see the screen shots and i need your link to see if the same thing comes up for me.. i thought you meant this was happening on roks site not yours. So i never tried your site yesterday

Hi Kirk,

Sorry about the quality of the screen shots.

Please note though, it only happens on Google Chrome. I've since tested across IE8, Firefox, and Safari and all is ok. Google Chrome is the only browser, that I'm aware of anyway, that this is happening with. Also, I do have a Google account, along with their confirmed tag so that my site can be crawled. When I go to my webmaster tools, there is zero detection for maleware. This doesn't make sense that the browser detects it, and it's not reported in there.

Anyway, here the link. http://hs-studentconnect.forumotion.com

Edited: Ps) It took me a couple of hours to do it Kirk, but I did take out all of my tinypic images and replaced them using imageshack, and it's still doing the same thing. Sad
smilie fan
smilie fan
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by smilie fan May 6th 2010, 3:00 pm

Hello Kirk,

Great news! It seems as my hard work wasn't at a total loss. A friend of mine who was aware of this issue, contacted me to say that all is well and that my site is not longer being displayed like that while being viewed through Google Chrome. I couldn't believe it and checked it myself. It seems this is not longer an issue. Thank goodness!

I thank you and MrMario for all of the support you've provided me. Very Happy

You may mark this as solved.

Many thanks and have a nice day! Very Happy
smilie fan
smilie fan
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario May 6th 2010, 5:57 pm

No Problem.