The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions about forumotion's hosting service

+2
Pivetor
Online MMA
6 posters

Go down

Solved Questions about forumotion's hosting service

Post by Online MMA May 23rd 2010, 5:50 am

I currently run a gaming site using forumotion and want to pay to get rid of the forumotion part from the address but have a few questions before I do.

1) How secure is forumotion? A member of my site sent me this in a pm.

"Free hosts are a no-no for large communities, infact someone could deface this forum right now without your ftp password and without any prior contact with you..how? Simple. forumotion hosts accounts for free - this site and all the other forums are all running off a dedicated box on shared hosting compliments of forumotion. This means all anyone with a little linux knowledge would have to do is just perform remote file inclusion (exploit) via a shell and navigate through forumotions box and find your directory and then simply find the readable and writable directory's thus enabling them to wreak some serious havoc on your site."

This leads to my 2nd question.

2) Is this true and if so how can I avoid this?

3) If I buy a domain name will my forum be relocated to a paid server or remain on this free one?

Please someone answer soon bcuz the forumotion in the address has got to go. I'm hearing too many ppl say it looks unproffessional and want it gone but I'm not paying if my site remains on a free server that can be hacked.
Online MMA

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Questions about forumotion's hosting service

Post by Pivetor May 23rd 2010, 5:54 am

It cannot be hacked, forumotion is a secure site, that has never been hacked, and will not be hacked. you can feel free to buy it without any worries. They may be able to do it on a small forum hosting, but forumotion has enough protection to stop even the skillets hacker.
Pivetor
Pivetor
Forumember

Male Posts : 107
Language : Pivetor

http://ZombieDiscussion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario May 23rd 2010, 6:56 am

There is no paid servers. We are all on a free servers.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by Online MMA May 23rd 2010, 7:56 pm

Judging by the answer you guys gave and the fact you dodged questions 1 and 2 it sounds as tho the quote I posted is true. Thats not good at all. I was really hoping to hear something reassuring.
Online MMA

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuro L Lawliet May 23rd 2010, 8:52 pm

You can read this.

https://help.forumotion.com/forumotion-maximum-security-for-your-forums-t11386.htm

My forum use forumotion and .net domain. It's safe and never got hacked.
Kuro L Lawliet
Kuro L Lawliet
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 May 24th 2010, 1:27 pm

Hello,

RE Your PM:

1) I can tell you that it requires a fair bit more than simple Linex coding to "hack" any forum - Paid or free servers.
So really, your member is wrong.

2) Indeed it is possible to hack well, anything.
It's just, forumotion has much higher and better security than the majority of forums - Free & paid.
You require some serious "out of the square" thinking, and sound knowledge of the DB.

3) Your purchased domain will remain the property of yourself for the duration of time it is purchased for. It will be hosted by whatever host you put it on and it will redirect to your forumotion forum.
Please note that you have to set your forum up for this.
[url="https://help.forumotion.com/frequently-asked-questions-f5/redirect-an-extern-domain-name-that-you-own-to-your-board-t7021.htm"]Please read this tutorial[/url] Wink
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by Online MMA May 25th 2010, 2:43 am

Thanks for the reply guys. I feel much better now. I put alot of work into my forum and didnt like the sound of it being easily taken away. Glad to know that my member was wrong. I'm checking those links now. A mod can close this now. bye
Online MMA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket May 25th 2010, 11:45 am

Since this thread appears to be solved, I will lock this thread and mark it as solved.
Questions about forumotion's hosting service 2j4t5a8

Sanket Smile
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down