The forum of the forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The forum of the forums
5 posters

Help With Search Function Problem...

MadFranko
    MadFranko
    Forumember

Male Posts : 27
    Language : English

Solved Help With Search Function Problem...

Post by MadFranko May 30th 2012, 3:25 pm

Hi

http://crap.forumotion.co.uk/

I've been using the following on my forum to display the most recent posts...

On the sites menubar (added via Display/ Homepage/ Header & Navigation)

/search?search_keywords=&search_author=*&search_time=7

and via a Widget ( added via Modules/ Forums Widget Management/)

<a href="/search?search_keywords=&search_author=*&search_time=7">Show Latest Posts</a><br />

Up until today these worked perfectly fine and when clicked on would produce a list of the most recent posts made in the last 7 days.

That was until today, now it just displays the advanced search page !!!

I haven't changed anything and so was wondering if someone could tell me what's going wrong, has there been a change made to the advanced search by Forumotion, as like I say everything worked fine until today...

Thank you for any help in solving this... Smile
    kirk
    kirk
    Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
    Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Solved Re: Help With Search Function Problem...

Post by kirk May 30th 2012, 4:25 pm

Please don't use bold or color. Please keep to the default text. This is reserved for the staff for moderation.

whay dose this look like its written in html?
    I do not know what yoyour trying to do? whats the link to your forum, and can you explain a little more, I am not following exactly what problem you are having. Your confusing me with the so caled html you have above.
    Is this something you added your self?

MadFranko
    MadFranko
    Forumember

Post by MadFranko May 30th 2012, 4:40 pm

kirk wrote:
    Please don't use bold or color. Please keep to the default text. This is reserved for the staff for moderation.

Sorry. but I never knew that and it doesn't make sense to be honest...

whay dose this look like its written in html?

I don't understand what you mean by that !!!

I do not know what yoyour trying to do?

As I have tried to explain, I use the above methods on my forum that allows members to click on a link I have put in the menu bar of the forum or by clicking on a link in a Widget I added that then brings up a list of all the latest posts made in the last 7 days.

But today for some reason the links stopped working and now only bring up the default "Advanced search page" instead of the list of latest posts.

whats the link to your forum,

Erm... I already included the link to my forum which is...

http://crap.forumotion.co.uk/

Your confusing me with the so caled html you have above. Is this something you added your self?

Sorry for confusing you, yes these are things I have added myself and like I say were working perfectly for months up until today and now they suddenly don't work and I have made no recent changes to the site...

Darren1
    Darren1
    Helper
    Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Post by Darren1 May 30th 2012, 6:54 pm

Hi,

I believe the devs know about this issue. The cause is unknown, but is related to the devs fixing the search page as it was not able to load beyond the first page.
    https://help.forumotion.com/t107993-did-anyone-notice-post-searches-won-t-go-past-the-first-page#716715
    MadFranko
    MadFranko
    Forumember

Post by MadFranko May 30th 2012, 7:10 pm

Hi

Thank you for that info... Smile

I've spent all day trying to fix the problem but sadly it still doesn't work.

From reading the thread you gave a link too the problem seems to be with using the wildcard *. I have been using this for my own custom "Latest Posts" page and it was still working fine at 2:00 AM this morning, then today it suddenly stopped working and all I get now is the default "advanced search" page showing up instead... Confused

Even after resetting everything, clearing all caches and even restoring my entire site to earlier backups it still isn't working and a new problem has also arisen with my custom music player...

All the links in my music player now no longer work either and are replaced with links in italic text that when clicked on do nothing when they normally play the music the link is for... Mad

It's pretty annoying and I hope they get if fixed soon as it's mucking up the operation of my entire forum... Help With Search Function Problem... Guish2
    kirk
    kirk
    Forumaster

Post by kirk May 30th 2012, 8:15 pm

I am getting the same thing with the latest topics code.
    It just comes up to the search page,

as far as the music, not sure what are you using?

Other then that we will have to wait for the techs to try to sort it out.
    It is the first i am hearing of this and we will have to pass this a long to leeloo

what page is the music on? not sure how this would be related. it guess it depends what you are using?

info added

Yeah there seems to be something up with your music player to,
    I am seeing links, i really do not know what to think with that, i have to know where you got it from and how it has to be set up so i can test myself, i am not familiar with that music player.

You said you tried a forum restore through utilities as well?

hopefully this is all just a tech glitch that they are sorting out?
    MadFranko
    MadFranko
    Forumember

Post by MadFranko May 30th 2012, 8:31 pm

The music player is on my homepage and is the second widget down on the left...

Not sure how to point to it via my forum so here's a direct link yo the player...

http://crap.forumotion.co.uk/h1-crap-music-player

(it normally open up in a pop out window when used via my forum)

But today since the problem with the search function has arisen the small play pause buttons no longer work, the text for the links is now in italics and they no longer work...

Normally just clicking on any of the links will play the music associated with it but that doesn't happen since this problems with the search function has happened.

It's the "Yahoo Web Player" I use and I think the problem is because it uses a sites search function to locate and find any MP3s on any given html page in order to play them.

Guess we'll just have to wait and hope the techs can fix things... Confused
    kirk
    kirk
    Forumaster

Post by kirk May 30th 2012, 9:14 pm

Yeah the music window pop-upped, but i basically had the same problem with what you are saying, latter on when i have some more time tonight i will go see if i can put together a small test player and see if i have the same problems.. then take it from there.. as far as the music, for the other we will just have to give it a little time first.
    MadFranko
    MadFranko
    Forumember

Post by MadFranko May 30th 2012, 9:25 pm

kirk wrote:Yeah the music window pop-upped, but i basically had the same problem with what you are saying, latter on when i have some more time tonight i will go see if i can put together a small test player and see if i have the same problems.. then take it from there.. as far as the music, for the other we will just have to give it a little time first.

Thanks for helping, much appreciated I assure you... Smile

Do you need the actual HTML code that I made for the player !!!
    MadFranko
    MadFranko
    Forumember

Post by MadFranko May 31st 2012, 4:19 pm

kirk wrote:Yeah the music window pop-upped, but i basically had the same problem with what you are saying, latter on when i have some more time tonight i will go see if i can put together a small test player and see if i have the same problems.. then take it from there.. as far as the music, for the other we will just have to give it a little time first.

@ Kirk

Thank you for all your help here trying to solve this problem... Smile

It seems the answer to the problem has been found and will continue as explained by "LeeLoo" in this thread...

https://help.forumotion.com/t107993-did-anyone-notice-post-searches-won-t-go-past-the-first-page#717594

Think as you can see from my posts and others that this is a very unsatisfactory situation here as it basically means the working and layout of a number of members sites has been ruined by this change...

Is there any chance you could have a word with those in charge to try and get them to revert back to the way things were before as a lot of us relied on the system working that way to make our sites usable for our members...

Not to mention it has also ruined my MP3 player which took me many weeks to get working properly...

Thanks...

Franko
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Female Posts : 375

Post by SophieDophs June 2nd 2012, 8:14 pm

I'm having this problem with my forum too.

I have 2 set wild-card search links that lists posts in the last 7 days and 1 month, saved to tinyurl to reduce the size of the links, and up until recently they worked fine. Now they no longer work and take me to the advanced search page instead.

I've just had a look around the board and it seems there is a problem with the search function and that the techs are working on it.

I do hope we'll be able to do the wild card searches again soon, otherwise my links will be permanently defunct.
    MadFranko
    MadFranko
    Forumember

Post by MadFranko June 2nd 2012, 8:18 pm

SophieDophs wrote:I'm having this problem with my forum too.

Your lucks in... I managed to fix it... Smile

See this post on how to fix this problem... Smile

https://help.forumotion.com/t109629-latest-post-function-tutorial#718161
    musket
    musket
    Helper
    Helper

Male Posts : 1130

Post by musket June 5th 2012, 9:37 am

The banning of the wildcard in the help forum searches will reduce the help that was previously given, because now it has made harder to locate the latest requests for help. So now many requests will go unnoticed or get buried in the heap. Previously a list could be called up and those who recognized a problem in that list, that they could address, could work on it to help find a solution.

Now more steps are required and time wasted to actually locate the requests for help and many requests can now more easily slip through the net Confused

Server time on the Help Forum could also be reduced if searches were only allowed to those who are logged in Idea

as in ACP>>Users & groups>>Special rights>>Special rights

Help With Search Function Problem... Search10

MadFranko
    MadFranko
    Forumember

Post by MadFranko June 5th 2012, 12:47 pm

musket wrote:The banning of the wildcard in the help forum searches will reduce the help that was previously given, because now it has made harder to locate the latest requests for help. So now many requests will go unnoticed or get buried in the heap. Previously a list could be called up and those who recognized a problem in that list, that they could address, could work on it to help find a solution.

Sorry I forgot about this thread, I've solved the problem and the solution can be found here... Smile

https://help.forumotion.com/t109629-latest-post-function-tutorial#718161

Server time on the Help Forum could also be reduced if searches were only allowed to those who are logged in Idea

Not a good idea to be honest, especially for an admin as checking the latest posts quickly and easily without having to log in is time saving. Members also find it very useful, and for people just viewing you forum it's a good way for them to see what is gong on and maybe even join your site if they find interesting posts... Smile

Current date/time is September 23rd 2024, 9:18 pm