The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Incorrect IP addresses showing

2 posters

Go down

In progress Incorrect IP addresses showing

Post by Lucky1 April 25th 2013, 8:01 pm

Hi all

Over the last few days we have noticed that a lot of the listed IP Addresses are actually incorrect. For instance, my own IP address is 81.152.xxx.xx but is showing on the admin panel as 194.72.xx.xx

This is happening to quite a few members.

Not normally a problem of course, but we are trying to ban a member at the moment so need his correct IP address.

Has anyone else had this problem - and if so, is there a solution ?

Many thanks in advance

Lucky
Lucky1
Forumember

Male Posts : 41
Language : English

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Incorrect IP addresses showing

Post by Guest April 25th 2013, 8:10 pm

Yes it was the same on my forum when I had it. it could just be that the forum software is not reading the IP correctly. Is it causing you any problems on the forum? If it's not I would not worry. You can ban the member by his forum account,that will work. I would not ban the IP as you may be blocking other users as well.

Last edited by Andrea Borman on April 25th 2013, 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky1 April 25th 2013, 8:13 pm

Only in as much that we need to ban a member (who is using alias's) so we need the IP address, that's all...

Thanks's for confirming it is not just our forum as well !

Lucky
Lucky1
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 25th 2013, 8:17 pm

Lucky1 wrote:Only in as much that we need to ban a member (who is using alias's) so we need the IP address, that's all...

Thanks's for confirming it is not just our forum as well !

Lucky
Well you can identify the member by his IP. So if he registers on the forum again, and the IP matches,you will know it's him. Then just ban his new accounts. If the IP is a proxy,you can't ban it. As it only works with static or dynamic IPs,not proxies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky1 April 25th 2013, 8:21 pm

Thanks Andrea

Yes, I understand all of that - but at the moment the list shows three members currently connected right now, all showing exactly the same IP address. I know all three personally and they are connecting from different parts of the country.

I guess the point is, is that we cannot identify ANY member at the moment by IP address as many of the listed IP's are simply incorrect.

Thanks for trying to help though, it is appreciated !

Lucky
Lucky1
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 25th 2013, 8:40 pm

You could try one of the IP sites such as What's My IP Address. That should tell you if the IP is a proxy or not. It will also show the location of the IP, and also check if it's on the spam list. That should help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky1 April 25th 2013, 8:44 pm

The IP addresses listed are incorrect, so it doesn't matter if they are proxy's etc..
Lucky1
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk April 26th 2013, 10:17 pm

Lucky1 wrote:The IP addresses listed are incorrect, so it doesn't matter if they are proxy's etc..

are you sure it is not your service provider changing signal locations, I mean it dose not happen often but i have noticed even mine change once in a while and it is just my service provider changing the location of where i am getting my signal from, i mean it would be odd if you have many members ip doing this on the whole forum but that could be it if it is just a few including yourself.

You can always call your service provider and ask them if this is the case along with giving hem your ip it is changing to.

Other then that.. members may be logging in at another location, using a ip changer or even a proxy. but as far as you i would call my service provider and give them the ip it is changing to and see if it is the case of something they are doing/changing or not?
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky1 April 29th 2013, 2:23 pm

Hi Kirk and thank you for your reply.

My own IP address has now gone back to normal. If I unplug my router I will get a new IP every time.

What I am talking about is about 20% of the connected members at any one time all have the same IP address. They are all personally known to me and are all over the country....

I shall ring my service provider though, but my understanding is that the forum software is picking up incorrect IP addresses and displaying them in my mod section..
Lucky1
Forumember

Back to top Go down