Login works for Admin but not for its user Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
3 posters

Login works for Admin but not for its user

RRC
    RRC

Female Posts : 16
    Language : English English

Solved Login works for Admin but not for its user

Post by RRC January 10th 2017, 11:48 pm

I can login as my colleague (he gave me his login and password) and use the forum normally.
    In case there was an error, I re-entered his user name New England Ram and email address Email address removed and password and saved them.
    Then I logged in again as him and it was fine again.

He's tried to login several times, both before and after my re-entering his details, and it still doesn't work for him.

The only oddity that I saw is that his status was no special rank asigned (it should have been Admin - we're both Admin).
    When I changed his status to Admin and saved it, I got this message -
    The passwords you entered did not match.
    Sorry, but this e-mail address is invalid.

I tried his login again and again it worked normally but his status had reverted to no special rank assigned.

Obviously he could just rejoin but he wants to keep the same details.

I'm baffled - any ideas?

Our site is http://dcfc-craic.forumotion.net/
    Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 19312
    Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

Solved Re: Login works for Admin but not for its user

Post by Ape January 11th 2017, 12:20 am

Please don't use bold or color and keep to the default text. This is reserved for the staff for moderation. Thank you.
    Please read our forum rules: ESF General Rules

Also Please Don't post Email addresses in the public forum its not safe.

Login works for Admin but not for its user Left1212Login works for Admin but not for its user Center11Login works for Admin but not for its user Right112
    Login works for Admin but not for its user Ape_b110
    Login works for Admin but not for its user Ape1010
    Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Ape January 11th 2017, 12:35 am

When making someone Admin there is 2 steps
    Step one:
    ACP >> Users & Groups Tab >> Groups >> Group Administration in the list in the center of the page look for Administrators then click the Yellow >> Now add the name of the member in the list then save.

Step two "Adding the rank" :
    Go to the members profile in the ACP and then scroll down to the bottom of the page until you see "Rank Title :" then change the rank to Admin.

if thats not there you need to make your own ranks

As for your member not logging in to the account.

Is your member copy and pasting the username or password in the box when logging in ?

Login works for Admin but not for its user Left1212Login works for Admin but not for its user Center11Login works for Admin but not for its user Right112
    RRC
    RRC

Post by RRC January 11th 2017, 1:43 am

Thanks for the quick reply!

His name has been in the Admin group all the time and his entry there looks the same as the other Admins.
    That's another reason why it seems weird that his status keeps reverting to 'no special rank'.

Maybe the problem could stem from the confusing stuff about the invalid email address and non-matching password (please see above).
    But I'm using that email address to contact him, so it's not invalid, and the password works for me, so it must match the user name.

I'd already asked him to type in the login and password, not to use any kind of auto login, and he has assured me that he has typed them.
    I doubt that this is causing the problem as I've pasted the password in and it works for me.

Additional info - So far he's used a tablet and an iPad (with Safari) without success, whereas I use a laptop and Firefox and the login works OK.

Sorry about the way I posted the query. Where should it have gone, please?

Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Ape January 11th 2017, 3:09 am

Have you done a backup using your Founders tools ?

also we have been having reports about problems with Iphones Ipads having log in problems it could be down to that
    Please read here.... https://help.forumotion.com/t149085-only-topic-mobile-version-log-in-issues-with-iphones-and-ipads

RRC
    RRC

Post by RRC January 11th 2017, 3:28 am

It does sound as though his login problem could be related - he only just told me about using an iPad.

Another bit of info -
    When I enter his email address and password in the Admin Panel and save, this works OK.
    But my login RRC then overwrites the start of the email address box, so when I change his status the email address can't match.
    It does this overwriting even when I'm logged in as him and also when I look at any user's profile.

Sorry, can't do anything that needs Founder status - our founder went AWOL a while ago and we haven't sorted out what to do.
    Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Ape January 11th 2017, 4:08 pm

Do you have your username and password saved on your browser ?

If yest then this is why!!

If you save your username and password the system looks for parts of a forum (IE) tags in the system.
    Username, Email, Password, it then places the right text to that tag in the system.

So when you go in the ACP and look at the profile change me page it will always install the text to the right place.

The only way to stop this is to remove your saved passwords and username off the browser settings.

As for the member well it's almost sure now that your member is facing the problem with the ipad.

Our problem now is trying to get this to do the same on our side so we can see where the problem is so we can fix it.

My Advice is to post in that thread and we will mark it as Pro admin and ask for more help on getting this fixed.

RRC
    RRC

Post by RRC January 11th 2017, 5:20 pm

Many thanks.

I've posted the login problem in the other thread as you suggested.

As for the auto form filling problem, I'm sure you're right, though it's not only coming from the Firefox browser.
    I use an offsite Password Manager utility and I'll have to delete the entry for the forum in that as well.

As that solves my problem, you could close or delete this thread - whatever you think best.
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51491
    Language : English

Post by SLGray January 12th 2017, 3:14 am

Problem solved & topic archived.
    Please read our forum rules:  ESF General Rules

Login works for Admin but not for its user Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.