The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Site pages too wide, need to fit any browser when bookmark sidebar used by users

4 posters

Go down

Solved Site pages too wide, need to fit any browser when bookmark sidebar used by users

Post by PoodleyPie April 14th 2018, 4:17 pm

I use the phpbb 3. Where and how do I adjust my site pages fit browsers when the user uses a bookmark sidebar, usch as in Firefox?

For example, users of Firefox have to use the bottom scroll bar to view an entire page, such as this page. I've seen this on some other forumotion forums, including this one, but other forums have an automatic adjustment so that no matter how wide or narrow their bookmark sidebar is, you can see the entire page without the fonts being reduced.

This is a good example of a forum that will adjust width if you have Firefox a bookmarks sidebar.
http://www.yorkieforum.com/forum/

Thanks.

Last edited by PoodleyPie on April 20th 2018, 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
PoodleyPie
PoodleyPie
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Site pages too wide, need to fit any browser when bookmark sidebar used by users

Post by Draxion April 14th 2018, 4:50 pm

You can this.

ACP(Admin Control Panel) > General > Forum > Configuration > Pages structure > Forum width (number or %) :
100%
Draxion
Draxion
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 2518

https://www.talesoftellene.com/

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Site pages too wide, need to fit any browser when bookmark sidebar used by users

Post by PoodleyPie April 15th 2018, 3:53 am

It didn't change a thing. I was set at 98%. I tried 90, 80, and even 50%. Then I tried 100 and 120%. Nothing.

Could it be in the CSS? If so, what section and what would that look like?

Thanks.
PoodleyPie
PoodleyPie
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Draxion April 15th 2018, 4:31 am

Can you please post here the link to your forum that is having these issues? Thanks.
Draxion
Draxion
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 2518

https://www.talesoftellene.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by PoodleyPie April 15th 2018, 7:13 am

PoodleyPie
PoodleyPie
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by PoodleyPie April 15th 2018, 7:15 am

Also compare it to this forum, seeing both in Firefox with your bookmarks sidebar.

http://www.yorkieforum.com/forum/
PoodleyPie
PoodleyPie
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Wecoc April 17th 2018, 11:32 am

Looks like you have a defined width 1050px for the #​wrap of the forum in your CSS.
AP Display Colors CSS Stylesheet

Find #​wrap in the CSS and delete the width parameter inside it. If it can't be found, insert this in the end of the code:

Code:
#wrap { width: auto; }
Wecoc
Wecoc
Forumember

Male Posts : 144
Language : Catalan, Spanish, English

Back to top Go down

Post by PoodleyPie April 20th 2018, 10:15 pm

Wecoc, thank you so much!

I had to play with it to get the entire page right. The wrap code worked perfectly but only on the orange horizontal bars on the top and bottom that have Home, Calendar, FAQ, etc. I'm not sure what that bar is called, please see my page and tell me.

Anyway, this is what I did like you advised and it worked for the orange bars:
Code:
 #wrap {
    padding: 0 20px;
    width: auto;
    margin: auto;
  background-color: #ffffff08;

But then the actual forum sections didn't adjust when the Firefox bookmarks were wide. I found a code on CSS that had the word width and and 1030px; this is how it was:

Code:
#page-body {
  background-color: #ccffff;
  width: 1030px;
    margin: 4px 0;
    padding: 10px;
    clear: both;
    border-radius: 5px;
    -moz-border-radius: 5px;
    -webkit-border-radius: 5px;
    border: 1px solid black;
    -webkit-box-shadow: 8px 8px 6px -6px #555;
    -moz-box-shadow: 8px 8px 6px -6px #555;
    box-shadow: 8px 8px 6px -6px #555;

So I adjusted only the width in this section too and figured it out! Now it's:

Code:
#page-body {
  background-color: #ccffff;
  width: auto;
    margin: 4px 0;
    padding: 10px;
    clear: both;
    border-radius: 5px;
    -moz-border-radius: 5px;
    -webkit-border-radius: 5px;
    border: 1px solid black;
    -webkit-box-shadow: 8px 8px 6px -6px #555;
    -moz-box-shadow: 8px 8px 6px -6px #555;
    box-shadow: 8px 8px 6px -6px #555;
}

Now my forum pages will adjust automatically if I or a user has a bookmark sidebar in their browser, and they don't have to scroll to read the whole page. Thank you again!
PoodleyPie
PoodleyPie
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape April 21st 2018, 1:29 am

Problem solved & topic archived.
Please read our forum rules: ESF General Rules

Site pages too wide, need to fit any browser when bookmark sidebar used by users Left1212Site pages too wide, need to fit any browser when bookmark sidebar used by users Center11Site pages too wide, need to fit any browser when bookmark sidebar used by users Right112
Site pages too wide, need to fit any browser when bookmark sidebar used by users Ape_b110
Site pages too wide, need to fit any browser when bookmark sidebar used by users Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19084
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down