The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A big step in programming on Forumotion!

4 posters

Go down

A big step in programming on Forumotion! Empty A big step in programming on Forumotion!

Post by Ganso December 7th 2023, 23:41

Good evening,

After a few years away from Forumotion, my programming skills have improved by 500%.

One day when I had nothing to do, I decided to see how this great community (Forumotion) was doing, and unfortunately, it's not as I thought it would be. The best ones are gone...

I've always had the idea to create some things that this platform limited (database).

With that in mind, and as I have worked with some interesting systems in my professional life, I decided to have some fun here and share a preview of how some things I've just created are already working.

Who is viewing the topic / Who has already seen this topic:
A big step in programming on Forumotion! Jhk6DkqySkaYXXG6gQonrA

Widget "Where are you located?"
A big step in programming on Forumotion! S8EyidDhQbysAvciHpbEEg

The funniest thing about these two systems I just created is that they update in real-time without the need to refresh the page. If you are on the page alone, and someone new enters, that person will be added in real-time, and if they leave the topic, they will be removed from the list of current viewers and will only appear in the list of those who have previously visited the topic.

The same goes for the widget; it updates in real-time as users navigate through the forum.

These are two systems that I can say are already working 100% without bugs, but I'm still looking to make some improvements if you have any ideas.

Things I plan to develop:

A widget to see who has viewed a profile, along with the time, like the link below:
Click:

A "Total Time Online" widget to show the top ranking of users with the most hours spent on the forum.
Finish here: https://help.forumotion.com/t162916-a-big-step-in-programming-on-forumotion#1143576

An option to "Hide" and "Show Again" a specific forum post, visible only to moderators and the member who hid the post.

The ability to "Mark as Resolved" and "Unmark as Resolved" (since Forumotion only allows marking once, and it can't be undone).

A dedicated chatbox (not the current Forumotion one) as it is too simple. I want to develop something much, much better with many more features.

Among many other things I have in mind.

I look forward to your feedback and suggestions!

PS: For those who might be concerned that due to the update rate, they will encounter the famous "Request Limit" page, that will NEVER happen! The method I'm using doesn't make any extra requests to cause that issue Wink

Best regards,
Ganso

Last edited by Ganso on December 8th 2023, 02:32; edited 1 time in total
Ganso
Ganso

Language : Portuguese

Niko, TonnyKamper and Obscure like this post

Back to top Go down

A big step in programming on Forumotion! Empty Re: A big step in programming on Forumotion!

Post by Obscure December 8th 2023, 00:34

These are really cool ideas! Thank you for sharing! Does it work on all forum versions?

Look forward to seeing your future tutorials.

Last edited by Obscure on December 8th 2023, 03:20; edited 1 time in total
Obscure
Obscure
Forumember

Female Posts : 47
Language : English

http://imgtest.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

A big step in programming on Forumotion! Empty Re: A big step in programming on Forumotion!

Post by Niko December 8th 2023, 01:23

Interesting features @Ganso - can't wait to see them!
May I ask you where you store those information? We have some tutorials that use posts orprofile fields to store info.. what about you? Very Happy
Niko
Niko
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 3108
Language : English, Italian, French

https://www.fmcodes.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso December 8th 2023, 02:03

@Obscure Currently, I'm only testing it on "PunBB," but when it's released, it will work on all versions.

@Niko Thank you, bro. I'll be letting some forums test it out soon. As you understand programming, you know that this needs an external database, specifically WebSocket in Node.js. This way, I can control the entries and exits securely, preventing data manipulation. I don't want it to become a 100% public project because it costs me money to keep it online (which I don't mind paying, but I prefer to maintain control over who is using it). The goal is to create a "community" for this great project, allowing programmers to develop plugins and more.

@edit:
I find posts and profile fields too insecure, you know? I can't do something like that.

I was at home and ended up developing the "Total Time Online" widget, heheh, look at this beauty:
A big step in programming on Forumotion! NdqptsMLSLa_cWafNEmY3w

It updates almost in real-time and is 100% accurate, so whatever appears in the widget is indeed real-time.
(No profile field is needed to store the information)

What do you think? Share new ideas, heheh.

Best regards,
Ganso
Ganso
Ganso

Language : Portuguese

Obscure likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor12345 December 8th 2023, 11:39

Good afternoon!

Please read the rules of the Community Coding and Analysis Zone.

This section is dedicated directly to the code, not to advertising your ideas.

I also remind you of the existence of the Terms of use and Privacy policy

Topic moved to the garbage.
Please read our forum rules: ESF General Rules

A big step in programming on Forumotion! Screen51
Razor12345
Razor12345
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 1462
Language : Ukr, Rus, Eng

skouliki likes this post

Back to top Go down