The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Security issue

3 posters

Go down

Security issue Empty Security issue

Post by discjocke April 22nd 2008, 1:20 am

What my concern is and I'd like to find out, is how it was gotten into by someone thats not registered to my forum, and was able to delete some specific posts and changed my password, severly compromising my forum. Now I'm questioning about the security on this forum.

If our main Forum which is on a major news site is finally shut down beyond our control due to political reasons, this forumotion forum is our back-up. I can't afford having this forum compromised. It would make contributors from our main forum shy away from entering this forumotion forum. We have about 100+ contributors that would come over to where I would have to upgrade this forumotion forum.

Who and to what link can I use to get to speak about this security issue. I added the known IP addresses to the banned list in Forumotion forum banned list, but I don't know how this will keep away this character that got in. He could use a proxy IP (fake) to get in. Who can I contact? Thank you for your time.
discjocke

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Security issue Empty Re: Security issue

Post by MillM April 22nd 2008, 1:26 am

Well here is one thing I can tell you.

You can only have your password changed if they were on your account.Other staff members cannot change your password.

About the IP address,ban all of his known ip addresses,and delete his accounts.

I am writing more but just wanted to post this as soon as possible.
MillM
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Security issue Empty Re: Security issue

Post by zakir321 April 22nd 2008, 8:46 pm

Well, this kind of issues can be discussed here in this section, no problem. Although I'm not that much familiar with those security questions, I'd like to point you towards this link - basically a short report of the forumotion security and how to react in case of an assault. Your board can be restored to daily backup points (created automatically) by using the backup tools. You are using the password that you used in creation of your forum, that way it doesn't matter what your current password is and if it has been changed by a hacker. Besides that, having a strong password (8+ char with random letters and numbers) as admin is already half the battle.
zakir321

Language : english

Back to top Go down