The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to deal with Spammers

3 posters

Go down

Solved How to deal with Spammers

Post by spiritcharms September 24th 2008, 2:24 am

I had my first spammer on my site yesterday, he joined, then proceeded to pm all my members to get them to join his forum offering a good rank for those who did. He Pm'd me too saying how my forum was lovely and how he was happy to join (smoke screen as he spammed all my members). Little sod was a forumotion member too.

How do other members deal with spammers like these. Twisted Evil

Is there anyway i can turn my pms off for new members only till i know they are genuine

Last edited by spiritcharms on September 24th 2008, 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
spiritcharms
spiritcharms
Forumember

Female Posts : 289
Language : English

http://spiritcharms.nice-topics.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: How to deal with Spammers

Post by kirk September 24th 2008, 2:46 am

[quote=\"spiritcharms\"]I had my first spammer on my site yesterday, he joined, then proceeded to pm all my members to get them to join his forum offering a good rank for those who did. He Pm\'d me too saying how my forum was lovely and how he was happy to join (smoke screen as he spammed all my members). Little sod was a forumotion member too.

How do other members deal with spammers like these. Twisted Evil[/quote]

well it\'s up to you. you can ban him or.
make it clear that you do not allow any spamming or advertising of other forums on your forum.. of course unless you want to allow it on the aspirate bords.. up to you.

but what i would clear you do not allow that. warn him, and remove his pm messages privileges until further notice. then if dont ever return, just ban him or delete his account. but now if he shows remorse apologises and remain active. then down the road you can return his pm privileges when you see fit.

but it\'s your call. i would def add a rule to the forum informing all members that spamming will not be tolerated.

but your forum.. your call.
hope that helps a Lil.
thanks

i always try to give members and new members the benefit of the drought.
but now if you feel he intentionally went there to do that and know you would never approve of such an act or care about your forum.. well then i would just rid him all together.. some people are messed up. most will apologize and try to make a mends. ware others are just dirt bags and can care less.

Last edited by kirk on September 24th 2008, 2:56 am; edited 2 times in total
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by spiritcharms September 24th 2008, 2:54 am

I got rid of him as soon as my members informed me of what he was up to, but a bit too late.. what got to me more was the fact that he has a forumotion forum with lots and lots of members (1851 reg users), and he must go around doing this to other forums. luckily i have a loyal membership who told me what he was doing.

Last edited by spiritcharms on September 24th 2008, 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
spiritcharms
spiritcharms
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk September 24th 2008, 2:57 am

spiritcharms wrote:I got rid of him as soon as my members informed me of what he was up to, but a bit too late.. what got to me more was the fact that he has a forumotion forum with lots and lots of members, and he must go around doing this to other forums. luckily i have a loyal membership who told me what he was doing.

spiritcharms wrote:

Is there anyway i can turn my pms off for new members only till i know they are genuine

oh almost forgot.. sorry

go to users and groups.
click on search users. either scroll down to find in list or do a search.
then click on there name. then at the bottom of the page you will see an option
for can send private messages.. click that hit save and your good to go.
you can also ban wright above that too if needed.

there ya have it... Smile please be sure to edit your starting post here and click problem solved so the mods can close this out.. thanks
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by spiritcharms September 24th 2008, 2:59 am

Thanks kirk Very Happy
spiritcharms
spiritcharms
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa September 24th 2008, 7:31 am

Since this problem appears to be resolved, I will lock this topic now.

=> Locked

Nessa
Nessa
Nessa
Energetic

Female Posts : 6203

Back to top Go down