The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IP Address Question

4 posters

Go down

IP Address Question Empty IP Address Question

Post by TripleDigitRide October 17th 2008, 2:42 am

Can someone please give me an explanation as to why a member with roughly 165 posts can post via 5 or 6 different IP addresses?

This member was banned for creating a second account and causing trouble. When I checked the IP address, it matched an IP address he used to make 61 of the 165 posts on his original account.

Since his ban, some members are asking if there is a chance someone could have created an account with the same IP address.

I'm not all that savy when it comes to IP addresses, so any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
TripleDigitRide

Language : English

Back to top Go down

IP Address Question Empty Re: IP Address Question

Post by Sheakhan October 17th 2008, 4:07 am

1. There are proxy settings that allow a user to randomize their IP address.
2. In my case, I use several different computers, three of which are government consoles, and have different IP addresses every time you log on.
3. There are also programs that allow a user to mask their IP as another, changing it as they please.

The likelihood is simply that this user is accessing the forum from different consoles.
Sheakhan

Back to top Go down

Post by Punkarella October 17th 2008, 5:21 am

[this is australian knowledge here so may be different in other parts of the country]

Everyone has a randomising IP address.
A static address is one that would never change, but it costs extra per year, and there is a limited amount that can be supplied by Service providers.

I've only ever used my computer for my forum and I've gone through 4 addresses. Generally over time you can see a pattern form. Also you can still see the location of an IP and who their provider is, if you are suss that it is a banned member
Punkarella
Punkarella
Forumember

Female Posts : 334

http://www.funkyfriendsonline.ace.st

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape October 17th 2008, 9:47 pm

try to ban the email address it works for me and the ip address..

not sure it will stay there for long thou as my list of ips and email addresses keep gettin removed for the main site and there is a lot what are getting the same
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19147
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down