The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members list with their passwords and usernames.. on the rest of your site! How?!

+3
MrMario
jacobred
dreamsight
7 posters

Go down

Solved Members list with their passwords and usernames.. on the rest of your site! How?!

Post by dreamsight 22/10/2008, 16:51

hey Smile

I have a guild site and use Forumotion as my guild's forum. I would like to make the rest of my guild website also "member loginable", so that they can just use their current forum passwords and usernames to log in on my website - and then don't have to relog when they open the forums page because they will be already logged in.

Any way to do this? Can a Forumotion Master send me the member script or something?

Many thanks,

~Dreamsight
[color=brown][b]REMOVED ~ MRMARIO[/b][/color]

Last edited by Sanket on 24/3/2009, 08:12; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : to remove email and URL of website)
dreamsight
dreamsight

Language : english
Location : WoW wise: Realm (EU): Excecutus PvP. irl currently in The Netherlands.

http://dreamsight.sforum.biz

Back to top Go down

Solved Hmmm...I need this asswell

Post by jacobred 21/3/2009, 07:09

i also have a guild and i need my members to be able to use the same login credentials
any help out there?
jacobred
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Members list with their passwords and usernames.. on the rest of your site! How?!

Post by MrMario 21/3/2009, 10:23

You cant see their password. You will just have to tell them that you will need to make an account that you use them this forum.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Members list with their passwords and usernames.. on the rest of your site! How?!

Post by dreamsight 22/3/2009, 07:11

Yes, and i would do that if there werent two problems

1.) i have issues enough with getting ppl in my guild to register for the forums. everyone seems to think it a big deal and think it'll take ages or something.. despite my saying otherwise. (so them having to register twice would definitely not be a good thing)
2.) everyone would then have to continuously login twice.. which kinda sux.

well obviously there is some list-script with usernames and passwords that allow entry to the forum, how else would it work? Although im not a genius in html and scripting.. so i could be way off here.. but then maybe someone could explain to me how it does work.

at anyrate.. i dont need to be able to read their passwords (i rather not know them), but if there was a way to replicate the list-script but for my site..

or hmm.. perhaps i could just get the html for my forum's login >> then instead of the page redirecting them to a forum page - have it redirect to the page on my site.. problem is then how to make certain elements on my site’s homepage (for example) become active once a login is successful.. > another issue would be that ppl who know the adrs of that page that they are redirected to, could then go there directly without having to login.

am i on the right track? can someone who knows what they are doing fill in the missing gaps with my idea? or point me in the right direction?

hope to see a reply soon Smile

thnx

~ dreamsight
REMOVED~MRMARIO

Last edited by MrMario on 22/3/2009, 21:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to remove email and URL of website)
dreamsight
dreamsight

Location : WoW wise: Realm (EU): Excecutus PvP. irl currently in The Netherlands.

Back to top Go down

Post by ProgVal 22/3/2009, 07:25

Hello,

So, you want that when users log in on your forum, they log in your website automatically.

If it's that you want, I'm sorry, but it's impossible. There is two way, but one is not securized, and the second is very difficult...

ProgVal

PS: Sorry if you don't understand my message, I don't speak English very well...
ProgVal
ProgVal
Forumember

Male Posts : 80
Language : French; learning English

http://aide.1fr1.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Arvind 22/3/2009, 07:45

I think it will be a very hard script to write. And there will be a lot of bugs. So my recommendation is that you dont do it.
Arvind
Arvind
Forumember

Male Posts : 59
Language : ●●●●●●●●●

Back to top Go down

Post by ProgVal 22/3/2009, 07:56

If you want to do it, the solution is:
-edit the template and made the form's destination page a page on your website.
-this page log your user in your site
-and use the PHP library cURL to log your user in your forum

but cURL is very hard to use.

Good luck!
ProgVal
ProgVal
Forumember

Male Posts : 80
Language : French; learning English

http://aide.1fr1.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamsight 22/3/2009, 09:04

Thanks so much for your responses Smile

-And the other way around wouldnt make it easier? That when you log on my website you also are automatically logged in on the forum?

perhaps im just in way over my head..

Even if its advanced stuff, I do think that Forumotion should have the option to be integrated into one's website. The point of Forumotion is to not have to deal with servers and html stuff yourself (because you dont know enough about html/scripting or because you just want an easier time), but I think most ppl who want a forum want a forum for a website dealing with a website's subject(s)>> not just the forum by itself.

In the mean time.. i really do intend to learn to better deal with html and scripting... and if anyone thinks its doable and is willing to help me out step by step I would greatly appreciate it Smile

How do other ppl deal with this problem i wonder? Or do those who care that much just do it all themselves?

~ Dreamsight
REMOVED ~ MrMario

Last edited by MrMario on 22/3/2009, 21:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to remove email and URL of website)
dreamsight
dreamsight

Back to top Go down

Post by tcwsl 22/3/2009, 21:40

I hardly believe there is a way to do it in foreseeable future

Let me explain how the forum and other sites operate under registration and login of users required(dynamic sites). There a two ways

1. vbscript, javascript
2. database (something like a table,with fields and records)

Nearly all forums in the internet are using the second method, because it is easy to manage and it is secure enough, also make it easy for developing more and more functions, forums created in forumotion are using the database namely called Mysql, and it is more secure and efficient to host the databases separately in clustered servers.

How does it work? Forums running PHP scripts and access the database by the initial settings when the forum is created, so as to protect your forum and your database, you could not get access /share the database from other sites nor make backups on that

That's the reason! Of course it is possible to develop something called API to have easy login system with other sites, but there is no such functions in forumotion... Very Happy
tcwsl
Forumember

Male Posts : 149
Language : Chinese, English

http://lastforumonearth.the-talk.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario 22/3/2009, 21:53

dreamsight your email and forum URL is not required.

Also your website is not forumotion witch means you will be getting a Serious warning.

You are not allowed to post your website or forum just so that people can see it. You are allowed to post it so that people that are trying to help can see the issue.

EDIT

I will just give you a normal warning.

Last edited by MrMario on 23/3/2009, 09:53; edited 1 time in total
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamsight 23/3/2009, 02:55

Im very sorry about this. I meant it more in a form of: if ppl can help then plz contact me.. and that was how they could contact me - via my website or email adrs. i didnt mean to offend anyone and i shall stop doing it if it does so offend ppl.

~ Dreamsight
dreamsight
dreamsight

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamsight 23/3/2009, 03:34

Many thanks tcwsl!!

Well i guess we have discovered a gap in website integration! hehe.

its too bad that im not more knowledgeable in this regard, for then i'd love to start the project myself xD

I suppose a non-integratable database is a more secure database, but perhaps not an entirely realistic one?

I just hate limitations xD

Well I guess my only options are to either then have all my member-only accessible elements on the forum, and my main site be for guests. Or… make my own forum. Which is i guess eventually what ill be doing then.. once im better equipped to.

Thanks again! Very Happy

~Dreamsight
dreamsight
dreamsight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket 23/3/2009, 09:32

Solved?
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamsight 24/3/2009, 03:52

Hmm.. not sure.. i mean, technically its a bit of a dead end indd - which might sound as close to solved as this topic can get.. on the other hand id be very interested to see if other ppl would post about this topic - see what their ideas are.
But ofc im not a moderator Smile so.. up to you guys ^^

~ Dreamsight
dreamsight
dreamsight

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamsight 24/3/2009, 03:53

Thanks Mr. Mario!

~ Dreamsight
dreamsight
dreamsight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket 24/3/2009, 08:11

Arrow Topic Solved
Arrow Locked

Sanket
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down