The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Authentication required?

3 posters

Go down

Solved Authentication required?

Post by Hungry4Info November 19th 2008, 1:57 am

This has happened before but went away. As it now seems to be a recurring problem, I've decided to try and ask for help. Upon accessing my forum,

www.solar-flux.forumandco.com

one finds this message.
Authentication required? Problem

Pressing cancel makes it go away, until navigating to any page on this site. Every time a page loads, so does this pop-up.

www.extrasolar.net was an old science-related website, it was no longer maintained as the forum admin could no longer be there. The site, using phpbb, fell prey to all sorts of bugs and hacker attacks (to such severity that the site no longer works at all). Those of us who used the site moved to this newer site. I am not sure why the authentication pop-up references it. Could it be an attack from someone who already attacked the earlier site?

Last edited by Nessa on November 21st 2008, 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit: To Mark Topic as Solved)
Hungry4Info
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Authentication required?

Post by kirk November 19th 2008, 8:47 am

oh it's in your security.
it's a extra measure to help ensure that you admin panel/forum wont be hacked into.

if your a admin or the owner you can change it.
go to general>security the click no for
( Auth Dialog Box to administration access )

if you have the first setting (Confirm password to administration access)
then that will bring up the regular log in screen. you user name will be there but you have to put you pass in to gain access to the admin panel.
so it's up to you to use or not. but it's always better to be as safe as you possibly can too.
so that should do it
Hungry4Info wrote:
Pressing cancel makes it go away, until navigating to any page on this site. Every time a page loads, so does this pop-up.
oh wait. i see it's dose for when you click on pages.
well that means that the pages are password protected.
you have to know the pass to continue. and unless you created the pass page to begin with then there's no way to remove it. so try to find out who created it that way. if it was another staff member? but i'm pretty sure only the owner of the site can create that.

i used to use them before for an older forum i had.
and i was the only one that could create it or remove it.
and without someone knowing the pass they could not get to the page.
plus that was on a paid forum. i did not know you can do that on free host. but i never tried it either. it should still work the same way?

if you are the creator and it's your forum?
if you can give the activation email and link it was created with to an admin.
that should be enough to get an admin or tech involved to find a way to get around it and fix the problem. it seems someone else has created this pass. but like i said as far as remember only the forums owner can create them. but if you had another smart admin on board with you that knows how to get around things. then anything is possible or (hackers) like you said.
you definitely need to notify an admin. but still check the first options i said if your able to gain access to your admin panel?

yea i just clicked the link. the whole forum is pass protected scratch
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungry4Info November 19th 2008, 10:20 pm

I am the admin of the site. I never created this either this time or the last time.

And that doesn't prevent anyone from getting anywhere, as we can just cancel it and move on (other people are getting this, too). It's just really annoying. Also, it's asking this for a site that no longer functions (extrasolar.net).

We're discussing this problem here on my site.
http://solar-flux.forumandco.com/the-website-f10/authentication-t128.htm
Hungry4Info
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungry4Info November 21st 2008, 1:21 am

Edit: The problem has been fixed. Turned out some code in the CSS stylesheet pointed to the hacked original site.
Hungry4Info
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa November 21st 2008, 2:15 am

Since this problem appears to be resolved, I will lock this topic now.

=> Locked
Nessa
Nessa
Energetic

Female Posts : 6203

Back to top Go down