The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Limiting what Profile information can be seen

3 posters

Go down

Limiting what Profile information can be seen Empty Limiting what Profile information can be seen

Post by Moondoggy December 29th 2008, 7:06 am

I have created a bunch of additional profile fields that we have added such as street address, city, state and zip, etc. We want the user to be able to see their own information in their own profile and update it "as needed". We also want Admins to have access to this information. We do not, however, want others to be able to view this information. Is there a way to hide this infor from users? If so, can someone explain to grant/reject access to these additional profile fields?
Moondoggy

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Limiting what Profile information can be seen Empty Re: Limiting what Profile information can be seen

Post by MrMario December 29th 2008, 7:10 am

There is no option for this. You can suggest it in the suggestion section.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Limiting what Profile information can be seen Empty Re: Limiting what Profile information can be seen

Post by Guest December 29th 2008, 7:14 am

As MrMario has said, its not possible. I don't understand why you would want to know your members physical addresses.

Daijiro

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario December 29th 2008, 7:22 am

Unless this forum is for a Group that you belong to and he knows them in real life. I have the same thing where I need this information. But I dont have a problem using this option.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by Moondoggy December 29th 2008, 9:34 am

The situation is as follows...... Membership to the forum is limited to members of a specific high school class but even with a limited membership some information that is provided to the reunion commitee by way of the member profile is not considered to be public. Strange that there isn't a way to restrict access to profile information based on group membership where the admins and/or moderators of the board would have accessed to the informaiton by granted rights whereas others would not. Any other idea how the reunion committed can collect this information and it not be a part of the members profile?
Moondoggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Carryn December 29th 2008, 7:10 pm

Moondoggy wrote:The situation is as follows...... Membership to the forum is limited to members of a specific high school class but even with a limited membership some information that is provided to the reunion commitee by way of the member profile is not considered to be public. Strange that there isn't a way to restrict access to profile information based on group membership where the admins and/or moderators of the board would have accessed to the informaiton by granted rights whereas others would not. Any other idea how the reunion committed can collect this information and it not be a part of the members profile?
You could make a forum that only Admins and Mod could have access to.
Collect the info from your members through PM. You can send auto welcome msg PM to members when they join informing them of the need to have whichever info you want.
Then post the member info in the Admin/Mod only forum.
Carryn
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1399
Language : none.

Back to top Go down

Post by Moondoggy December 29th 2008, 7:32 pm

Collect the info from your members through PM. You can send auto welcome msg PM to members when they join informing them of the need to have whichever info you want.

OK...I'm going to express my ignorance (I'm a newbie to this forum stuff). When you talk about an auto welcome message PM. Where do I find this and is there a way to format this PM in a way that we get the needed info?

Also, since we can't use the members profile to store the information is there any other means available through the forum to store the information we need to collect and maintain? We were basically trying to maintain everything in/on the forum itself instead of maintaining a separate storage tool.
Moondoggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Carryn December 29th 2008, 8:11 pm

Moondoggy wrote:

OK...I'm going to express my ignorance (I'm a newbie to this forum stuff). When you talk about an auto welcome message PM. Where do I find this and is there a way to format this PM in a way that we get the needed info?

Also, since we can't use the members profile to store the information is there any other means available through the forum to store the information we need to collect and maintain? We were basically trying to maintain everything in/on the forum itself instead of maintaining a separate storage tool.
in your admin panel click on the General tab
> go to the message and emails section
> scroll down to private messages
There is an option for allow welcome message.
you can put whatever you like in there. including your directions about needing the member info
as for an auto REPLY from the member, that isn't possible. they will have to respond themselves.

a forum that has admin/mod only access IS maintaining the info on the forum
Carryn
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Moondoggy December 29th 2008, 11:32 pm

Thanks for the reply but I'm a bit fuzzy on this welcome message thing. I set the welcome message up to say what we want but I was under the assumption that this message would appear once and that was it. What we're seeing however is anytime a PM is sent to the member there is a a PM that is showing up as an inbox message and the welcome message showing up as a topic review. Have I got something setup wrong? I was really wanting a once and done message. Let me know how to fix this if you can.

I took your advice and setup a private forum that only admins/mods can view and since I know a bit of HTML I was able to create a sticky table showing the classmates. Not exactly what I was wanting but I understand that there are limits.
Moondoggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Carryn December 30th 2008, 12:41 am

No, I don't think you have it set up wrong.
The welcome message is only sent once.
The topic review is only of PMs not anything else.
If you don't want to see the PMs as topic review you can delete them.
Carryn
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Moondoggy December 30th 2008, 2:33 am

OK, I'm still confused...... I created a new test user and logged on and saw the welcome message listed under inbox :: messages but saw it again under the topic review section. Seems kind of silly to see two messages saying exactly the same thing twice on the same panel. Is there any way to prevent the topic review from even showing up? Note also that I sent a message between two test user account and every message sent shows up once in the inbox and again under the topic review.
Moondoggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Carryn December 30th 2008, 3:36 am

I am not aware of any way that you can take out the topic review.
maybe in templet editing which i know nothing about.

Actually over time, I find the topic review helpful, but that is just me.
I'm pretty easy going.
Carryn
Active Poster

Back to top Go down