The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unread posts marked read.

4 posters

Go down

Solved Unread posts marked read.

Post by sorpigal July 24th 2009, 1:46 pm

According to this thread, found via some googling:

https://help.forumotion.com/administration-panel-credits-and-domain-names-problems-f44/unread-messages-marked-read-t45979.htm

Having your posts marked read when they have not been read is expected, for forumotion.

This is aberrant behavior which I find to be extremely suboptimal. Is there a way to change this behavior? I can find no options controlling this kind of thing in the admin panel.

Also, supposing I create a forum structure like this:
Code:
Main Forum
 -> Sub Forum

and I make Sub Forum visible only to one group of users. In this scenario I am noticing that users who can only see Main Forum are seeing it highlighted as having unread posts when new posts are added to Sub Forum, though they have no way to see these posts or mark them read. Is there anything I can do about this other than move Sub Forum out from under Main Forum?
sorpigal

Language : en_US

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Unread posts marked read.

Post by Mehtevas July 24th 2009, 5:04 pm

First part: If your internet slows down sometimes, or does something weird, all postsa re marked read, theres nothing you can do.
Mehtevas
Mehtevas
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2114
Language : Currently, I am receiving support requests by P.M. Support requests, which can, and should, be done in the support section.

Back to top Go down

Post by sorpigal July 24th 2009, 5:55 pm

This answer makes no sense. No amount of "slow down" should alter the state of any packets. Are you saying that the forum code knows when there are dropped packets, or high latency, and takes this as an instruction to mark posts as read?

If this is true I'd call it a big bug.
sorpigal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehtevas July 25th 2009, 1:14 am

I'm Saying, I'll load a page (here) and lets say, help.forumotion.com is doing its daily back up, the paage wont load during that time. And when it works it has all posts marked read. Its wierd yes i know, bbut not much you can do about it.
Mehtevas
Mehtevas
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2114
Language : Currently, I am receiving support requests by P.M. Support requests, which can, and should, be done in the support section.

Back to top Go down

Post by sorpigal July 27th 2009, 1:40 pm

This is not what happens to me.

I see posts getting marked read between visits and without any noticeable "slow loading." This happens at many times during the day, not just one or a few times. It happens every day, not just sometimes.

Where do I file bugs reports? I don't see a forum for that.
sorpigal

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_m August 17th 2009, 3:03 pm

I and my members experience the same problems, and I considered it a bug myself, because no forum software I know of behaves in this way but Forumotion.

It seems forumotion do not consider it a bug scratch . So I have suggested it here: https://help.forumotion.com/suggestions-for-your-forums-f30/remove-or-increase-time-limit-on-unread-topics-posts-t51997.htm

Hopefully if it gets enough votes for yes it will be changed. I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be!
matt_m
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by sorpigal August 19th 2009, 1:15 am

Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy and thanks for the link. This (and some other annoyances) has caused my group to move to another provider (zetaboards). Maybe when they fix it I'll come back.
sorpigal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket August 19th 2009, 5:22 pm

Since this thread appears to be solved, I will lock this thread and mark it as solved.
Sanket
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Language : English

Back to top Go down