The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

words getting removed by advertising function on the forum

5 posters

Go down

words getting removed by advertising function on the forum Empty words getting removed by advertising function on the forum

Post by PorcoRosso November 23rd 2009, 8:46 pm

On my forum, certain words (for example "flight") are getting changed or removed, automatically. It is related to advertising. The first thing that happens is that the word will change colour and get underlined. Our forum has a black background with white text. Annoyingly the bots or advertisers are changing these words to black, which means they cannot be read against the background. Then after this, the word gets magically removed. We are a flight sim forum, and you can imagine how often the word "flight" is used. So its incredibly annoying to have these common words rendered unreadable and then removed altogether.

I want to stress that this problem is not related to banned words or any censorship created by the users. This is happening to totally ordinary inoffensive words.
PorcoRosso

Language : English

Back to top Go down

words getting removed by advertising function on the forum Empty Re: words getting removed by advertising function on the forum

Post by Sanket November 23rd 2009, 8:50 pm

I am confused as to what exactly happens, can you explain it with screenshots please?
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

words getting removed by advertising function on the forum Empty Re: words getting removed by advertising function on the forum

Post by PorcoRosso November 23rd 2009, 9:49 pm

Here is a typical example
[img]words getting removed by advertising function on the forum Clipbo12[/img]

When you put a mouse over the blacked out word, it shows an advert which says "ADV by eDintorni".

Some time after the word gets blacked out in this way, it gets auto-deleted, rendering the sentence puzzling for anyone who doesnt realise the cause of the problem.
PorcoRosso

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk November 23rd 2009, 9:59 pm

Whats the forums link.And are these in post that the words are showing up.
Are you sure you members are no creating the word links leading to where ever they are leading to.

If these words are in post edit the post and see if the words are set up in a text/link code like this.

Code:
 [url=http://help.forumotion.com/index.htm]forumotion[/url]
forumotion

But if you are saying these words are being put up there automatically then i do not know what can be causing that and you will have yo post your link so we can further trouble shoot to try to find a solution.

oh you can change the Hover Link Color to another just for a temp fix of the word/link not to appear black.

Admin panel>display>colors

scroll through the list and change the color for (hover link) and hit save.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by PorcoRosso November 23rd 2009, 11:32 pm

My forum is http://squadronone.forumotion.com.

This effect happens, wherever the word "flight" appears, whether in a post, or in the forum index. Its not related to anything that any forum user is doing. To make it happen all you need to do is to write the word "flight". The advertiser bot (whatever it is), will pick up on that word after its next crawl and the text colour will be changed and sometime later the word disappears. If you change the word to fl1ght, it doesnt happen. So its related to an advertisment system, crawling for stuff related to flights.
PorcoRosso

Back to top Go down

Post by FlamingToaster November 24th 2009, 6:59 am

Oh yeah i know what you are talking about, i have seen it on some other websites and when you hover over the link it comes up with some advertisement. Did you allow these advertiser to do this to your forum? Or did it just show up one day?
FlamingToaster
FlamingToaster
Forumember

Male Posts : 183
Language : English and BBCode

http://final-legendaries.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by RoNo November 24th 2009, 8:19 am

Try turning off ads:
Admin Panel > General > Forum > Configuration
words getting removed by advertising function on the forum Adminpanelads2
RoNo
RoNo
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1270

http://bf2mercenaries.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down