The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uploading an Image to a post on a MAC

+2
TR
JanetCou
6 posters

Go down

Solved Uploading an Image to a post on a MAC

Post by JanetCou January 18th 2010, 3:18 pm

Hi everyone!

I have a member that use to have a PC and had no problem with uploading an image but now he's switched to a Macintosh and is not able to upload an image.

I don't have a Mac so it's really difficult to try and help him.

Do you have any advice that I can pass on to this member. If you use a Mac and have had difficulties with uploading an image how did you resolve the issue?

Last edited by kirk on February 14th 2010, 7:57 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
JanetCou
JanetCou

Language : English

http://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Uploading an Image to a post on a MAC

Post by TR January 18th 2010, 4:09 pm

Could you ask him to be more specific about what part isn't "working"?

He should be able to upload images by going to your forum gallery, pressing the Uploading an Image to a post on a MAC Upload_pic (Or whatever you have set) button, and then choose the files from his computer.
TR
TR
Forumember

Language : English, Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk January 19th 2010, 12:58 am

Is he trying to upload to the gallery?
If not then i would just ask him to try a image host like.
http://tinypic.com/
http://imageshack.us/
http://xs.to/
http://www.imagebam.com/
http://imagevenue.com/
http://photobucket.com/
http://tiny.cc/WjDdt

it could be that he needs to set something up on the his computer to allow him to upload as well? not sure.. but ask him to try them out.. the last link is a google link for free image host
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JanetCou January 19th 2010, 1:36 pm

Thank you both for your assistance!

We don't have a gallery set up on our forum. I want to avoid any expense at this point and realize that their is a cap on the gallery then you need to pay for more space.

I've given him a link to a widget for his mac that would allow him to upload to imageshack.

Does the servimg option work for the mac? I really wish I had a mac so I could see what he sees. Is everything displayed the same way on a mac? I would think so but I'm just curious. When I searched on the net for possible solutions it said something about the flash being up to date would that cause issues witht the forumotion upload option with servimg?

Last edited by JanetCou on January 19th 2010, 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo again)
JanetCou
JanetCou

Back to top Go down

Post by batmmannn January 27th 2010, 5:28 am

I have a Mac and it is frustrating as hell to upload images. You have to copy and paste the image code into the message view and then hit preview, what I am running into is that you can do the first image but it fails to change the code in the 3 choices window when you upload the second so you end up placing the code from the first image in again. This free forum software is turning out to be a pain and not so good at all.
batmmannn
batmmannn
Forumember

Male Posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk January 27th 2010, 1:30 pm

batmmannn wrote:I have a Mac and it is frustrating as hell to upload images. You have to copy and paste the image code into the message view and then hit preview, what I am running into is that you can do the first image but it fails to change the code in the 3 choices window when you upload the second so you end up placing the code from the first image in again. This free forum software is turning out to be a pain and not so good at all.

batman like i said in the other thread. use a different host.
if servimg is not working for you then go with something that will.
as far as copying and pasting to the message.. that's how it works for everyone.
Once again like i said in the other thread. unless you are on a forum that someone is paying for and offer there members to upload to there server,have a builtin image up loader.. then everyone is pretty much in the same boat having to use an image host..mac or no mac. that's just how it works.

free forum host will never offer a on-board upload to where you can upload multiple pic's in one shot.. there servers have mucho stuff to store and handle as it is..

So i know that's not what you want to hear and apologize. but that's just how it is unless your on a paid forum that offer this feature.

Oh and i did mention in the other thread i can tell you how to add your own on board uploader from a host that you like.. but you will have to be useing phpbb2 or punnbb versions because it has to be done in the templates.. plus i would have to know what host you want to make sure i can make a custom sized pop out box to upload them too.

here's an example. now this was just something i did for a test.
but with the right image host.. i casn make a nice size box. anyway check it out.
right over top of the html option you will see the black box that says tiny pic image uploader.

click on that.i can make you something like that if you want it?
http://buffysinternetlounge.forummotion.com/post.forum?mode=newtopic&f=7

but remember. you have to be useing phpbb2 or punbb versions for me to place it there.
i can also put this under your quick reply box too. so that's just an example.
the whole thing is yore not leaving the forum. it's a pop out leading to a image host.
if you went with like imagebam or imageshack. then you have the option to upload multi pics at once.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by batmmannn January 28th 2010, 6:40 am

I clicked on your link and its a nice page but I only see the same uploaders in there I have on my page. Was there another sample there or am I missing something, thanks for offering to help me.
batmmannn
batmmannn
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by batmmannn January 28th 2010, 6:47 am

Just read the posts above like I said it works on a Mac but the code does not change once you load the image and return to upload a second image unless you go back and edit it after posting the message. You have to send it and then go back and edit the post to add another pic if you want it in the same post. Otherwise if you just add the pic then try to add the next pic the code does not change and you end up uploading duplicate pics even though the second time you browsed to a different pic. Thus you end up with duplicate uploads and then it is a problem because you can't just go in and delete the extra pics on the image host cause you are unsure which one is attached to the message. I have the latest Flash version as well
batmmannn
batmmannn
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk February 3rd 2010, 4:02 pm

batmmannn wrote:I clicked on your link and its a nice page but I only see the same up-loaders in there I have on my page. Was there another sample there or am I missing something, thanks for offering to help me.

oh if the options are not open click on options and you will see a blinking image that says
(imagevenue image up-loader) and tinypic up-loader.right over top where ir says HTML is on.

Uploading an Image to a post on a MAC Ekosg4
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JanetCou February 3rd 2010, 7:52 pm

I'd be very interested in having my own on-board image up-loader like the 2 in your example but I would need the code and pretty well a step by step walkthrough as to how to create it. CSS and/or html.
JanetCou
JanetCou

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk February 4th 2010, 1:35 am

JanetCou wrote:I'd be very interested in having my own on-board image up-loader like the 2 in your example but I would need the code and pretty well a step by step walkthrough as to how to create it. CSS and/or html.

hi i got your pm.
this is not done through css it's done through the template edit.
are you useing phpbb2 or punnbb versions. If not you wont be able to do it where i have them
but you could always add to a widget,forums description,homepage message or announcement.
But if you are useing phpbb2 or punnbb then you can have them where my example ones are.

All you will do is add this code to new html page. then you would take the link from your html page and place in another code i have for a pop-out.Actually just send me your html page l;ink and i'll add to the pop -out code for you. then i would tell you where to place it in your template and that's it.

so here is the code for the imagevenue.
you just place this in a html page and hit save.

Code:
<center><iframe src='http://imagevenue.com/host.php' width='85%' height='400px' style='border: 1px solid #B27400'></iframe></center>

Now as far as the code you need for the pop-out. do you want it to be click-able text or do you want an image like that is in my example. i can also give you a code to add to the html page to have your forums back ground that you want.but i will need the direct link to your forums background. the same link that's in your pic's management will work Smile

if you want the tinypic too. you don't need a html page for that, that one is set up a lil different.

So for now just make a html page and give me the link to the page you make.
oh you can give me the direct link you have for your forums background image too
so i can give you that code to add to your html page as well.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JanetCou February 7th 2010, 11:53 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying. I just have a few questions before I proceed any further.

I'm using phpbb2.

I gather for me the template edit is HTML pages management.

Should I name the HTML page anything special?

What should I select for the following:

Do you wish to use your forum page header and page footer ? Yes or No
Use this page as homepage ? Yes or No

I would like it set up in the same way as in your example.

Once I have the above answers I'll send you the link to my html page and link to my forums background.

Thank you so much for your help! Smile
JanetCou
JanetCou

Back to top Go down

Post by rreeff February 8th 2010, 1:49 am

thumps up for your article, great post...
rreeff

Language : usa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelia February 8th 2010, 2:52 am

As I'm reading this topic, this makes me wonder if this works properly on Linux. I'm going to do some tests to verify this. My PC is running Ubuntu Linux.

I'll edit this post once the tests are done.

[EDIT] Seems to work properly on Linux. Here's what I did :
1- Clicked on "Host an image", then uploaded the first image
2- Grabbed the BBCode and pasted on the post, then close the host page's tab
3- Re-clicked on "Host an image", then uploaded the second image
4- Grabbed the BBCode then pasted on the post, then closed the host page's tab. The code is different from the first one.

Is your way the same ?

Last edited by Cornelia on February 8th 2010, 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : results of my tests on linux)
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 4763
Language : I'M NOT A TECHIE OR A MOD, SO QUIT SENDING ME PMS FOR TECHIE STUFF OR LOST PASSWORDS !!!

http://ishimaru-design.servhome.org

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk February 8th 2010, 5:54 pm

JanetCou wrote:Sorry for the delay in replying. I just have a few questions before I proceed any further.

I'm using phpbb2.

I gather for me the template edit is HTML pages management.

Should I name the HTML page anything special?

What should I select for the following:

Do you wish to use your forum page header and page footer ? Yes or No
Use this page as homepage ? Yes or No

I would like it set up in the same way as in your example.

Once I have the above answers I'll send you the link to my html page and link to my forums background.

Thank you so much for your help! Smile

since it's going to be a pop-out i would not add the header footer to the html page.
i would just center the code with <center> </center> tags then submit. i can also give you a code to add your own back ground to the page.And as far as the page name you can name it what you like.

Sorry for the late reply. you can always pm me with a thread link to remind me Smile
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk February 9th 2010, 4:12 pm

OK here's your new template with the codes placed in them.

Go to

Admin panel>display>templates>Post & Private message.

right at the top you will see the (posting _body = messaging posting) template.
click on the little orange actions gear icon,take out everything that's in there,past the code below and hit save.After you hit save scroll back down and click on the green + icon to publish

And that's it. i also added a file box for you too. this way you can upload files. just be sure that you are not sharing like movies music videos, that would violate tos for copyrights. other then that if it's a large file of something you own or want to share you can do it right there as well.

Oh and i might be sending you a new code i am going to see if i can get the image host images to click with sound and to highlight/glow like the file box dose.

here's a preview at my test place.

oh and if you run into any problems which i am sure you wont. but if you do remember you can always hit the red X delete template. and that will automatically put back the original default that was in there.But as you see it's working fine at my place so just follow then directions and you should be good to go.

dang it!!!! the template code is to big to post here. lol
be right back with a solution to that Smile

ok lol i should have known that was going to be too big... lol
Anyway here it is just download the text file and copy the code and add like i said in the directions above.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WGYNIR0F

the good news about me having to upload to a file host is. that i used the file box on the my test forum and it works great Smile
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JanetCou February 10th 2010, 2:46 pm

cheers Thank you so much Kirk! It works great! Just so you know with the Filebox the file that was uploaded will be deleted no sooner than 21 days after the last time it was downloaded. So this is a way to share a file but only will be temporarily accessible by the members.
JanetCou
JanetCou

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk February 14th 2010, 7:54 pm

JanetCou wrote:cheers Just so you know with the Filebox the file that was uploaded will be deleted no sooner than 21 days after the last time it was downloaded. So this is a way to share a file but only will be temporarily accessible by the members.
Well a lot of the free versions of file host have a limit. i think zshare is 60 days rapid share is only ten dl.. that's why they try to get people to get a premium account.

but it depends what your sharing for megaupload if it;s something people will be dl then it wont go away unless it's not dl for 21 days or what ever. but are you sure of that because i have seen some megaupload stuff stick for a long time..

either way it's just if it's something someone wants to add in a post. be sure that you mod anything uploaded to make sure there is no tos being broken.. but your place seems to be cool with the rules like that so you should be fine. if you want it removed just pm me and I'll give you a new template with out that in there.

Anyway

Since the topic is now solved i will lock the thread
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down