The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Age Limit

3 posters

Go down

Age Limit Empty Age Limit

Post by Mike Richardson March 3rd 2010, 12:11 pm

Hi,

When I was setting my forum up I am sure I saw somewhere that there was a minimum legal age for people to be able to post items to a forum hosted by forumotion. Unfortunately I can no longer find where this was. Can someone tell me?

Background is that I have set a forum up for my Rugby Club which has members down to age 7. Although I cannot, and do not want to, stop them reading articles on the forum I do noty want them to be able to post (obviously their details, mail address, would be seen).

I am trying to keep the forum "clean".

Thanks
Mike
Mike Richardson

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Age Limit Empty Re: Age Limit

Post by kirk March 4th 2010, 10:46 am

you are supposed to be at least of the age 13yo to join a forumotion forum.
although there are children on some forums and others may have permissions from there parents etc to be on certain forums..(Gaming,educational,kid friendly etc..)

there is no real secure way to know a person age unless you where to make someone donate first and use a credit card or ask for the credit card to simply verify a age of a person..
(but that can not always be full proof either)

as far as you trying to protect members for others not seeing there emails instant messengers etc.. then you can always set the options to not allow them too place it or others to see it in there post or profile.

But then because of the age limit for joining a forumotion forum is 13 years or older. it's possible if you had complaints about children under the age of 13 being members on your forum you could lose your forum..You are supposed to be of the age 13 or older.. but this can depend on a lot of things.i think a admin or global mod can answer this more accurately.. but i believe it is in registration process/form that you must be of the age of 13 years or older or have a parents/guardians permission to do so.I know phpbb boards have had this stated before but i will have to make sure if this says this in forumotion registration form.

Info added
You know actually i have read through the tos and registration form and do not see anything that says you have to be at least 13 years old to join..I do know at one this was the case.. they may have changed idk? i dint see anything on the phpbb comunity that says this either.. but for the paid boards you can customize everthing on your registration form and i believe you can add any additional rules to your forumotion registration form as well.

Also you can set the age limit..So i do not see a default set to 13 years old for the minimum age.So i will have to find out exactly if this has been changed?

anyway to set the age limit you can find it in.

Admin panel>user & groups>user options. scroll down to birthdays and you can set the maximum and minimum age there. be sure to hit save after setting it.

The only thing i have seen mentioned about any age in the tos is.
Limitations of the services
The products and services can be used only in the precise way for which such products and services have been made for. You cannot use the products and services, or associate them to any content or activity which might be harmful to the any individual person’s private rights :
Contents which are illegal, harmful, threatening, improper, slanderous, vulgar, obscene or ethically reprehensible
Content which disclose personal datum that could identifies children under age of 18 or which exploit the images.

Here is Forumotions Terms Of Service if you would like to read the rest of it.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Richardson March 4th 2010, 4:50 pm

Thanks for the information - great help.

I am fairly certain I saw something on the TOS for Forumotion about minimum age or I would not have thought of it. I also think some of the control panels have a low age as well.

I have a way of making sure that members are 13 and above so that is no problem.

Like I said I wanted to be "clean" wrt Forum usage.

Regards
Mike
Mike Richardson

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by Cool-processor March 4th 2010, 4:54 pm

i also think that the minimum age is and should be 13 years old.
Younger members may be in danger or cause problems to the forums.
Cool-processor
Cool-processor
Forumember

Male Posts : 724
Language : HTML | CSS/3 | JQuery

http://www.creative-labz.com

Back to top Go down