The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing forum permissions and bots...

4 posters

Go down

Changing forum permissions and bots... Empty Changing forum permissions and bots...

Post by collectiques April 5th 2008, 1:40 am

does anyone know please - I have just changed my forum permissions so that guests can see forums but not see topics...by allowing only members to view posts...

does this in anyway prevent bots from reading the entire site? I have regular bots coming at the moment will this effect them coming in the future?
collectiques

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Changing forum permissions and bots... Empty Re: Changing forum permissions and bots...

Post by travis_cooper April 5th 2008, 1:42 am

You shouldn't be concerned with bots visiting your site. They are just crawlers for the search engines, that is how the index your forum for searches. In fact bots are probably a good thing in that regard. Anyway, a bot, since it isn't logged in, is a guest, so whatever your permissions are for guests will determine what the bots can access.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Forumember

Male Posts : 698
Language : English

http://photochallenge.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Changing forum permissions and bots... Empty Re: Changing forum permissions and bots...

Post by collectiques April 5th 2008, 1:50 am

No I'm not concerned about them being there...I understand what bots do...I was worried if I changed the permissions then they wouldnt be able to read the posts as a guest...that is a real bummer...thanks though...
collectiques

Back to top Go down

Post by zakir321 April 5th 2008, 5:04 am

I think I've once read something, that this wouldn't stop the bots from browsing the site. That would depend what is written in your metatags. But I'm not sure though. Wink

Last edited by Sunny_D on April 5th 2008, 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : evil grammar is evil...)
zakir321

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamierules34 April 5th 2008, 5:14 am

To get rid of Bots...do the following:

Admins panel => General => Under Homepage, go to Hierarchy => Scroll down to the last thing. It should say:

Display bots in statistics of the forum

Then click NO for that...That should help...

But like they said, dont worry about them. They are there to help bump your website URL on a website if its there, or to check on occasion to see how the website is doing...

Thanks.
~Jamie
Jamierules34
Jamierules34
Forumember

Male Posts : 109

http://www.amazingforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by zakir321 April 5th 2008, 5:42 am

This would just prevent the name from being displayed. The bot itself can still continue his work in the background.
zakir321

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamierules34 April 5th 2008, 5:45 am

Yes it can, But it would make the person who wrote this thread not worry about this anymore because he wont be able to see it...
Jamierules34
Jamierules34
Forumember

Male Posts : 109

http://www.amazingforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by travis_cooper April 5th 2008, 6:40 am

Jamierules34 wrote:Yes it can, But it would make the person who wrote this thread not worry about this anymore because he wont be able to see it...

Actually I think the OP wants the bots to keep coming. They are worried that perhaps they way they did the permissions the bots would stop coming. What you did won't stop them from coming, but if you have made any areas of your forum not visible to guests the bots just won't be able to access those areas.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Forumember

Male Posts : 698

http://photochallenge.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by collectiques April 13th 2008, 7:42 am

yes exactly Travis ...I definitely want the bots to keep coming ...my site is doing ok on google rankings ..which is great...

I was just concerned that if I locked some forums off to members only that the bots wouldnt be able to get in and update info...so I've compromised and locked off just some...thanks for everyones help though Smile
collectiques

Back to top Go down