The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have a question about the forums and categories. [solved]

2 posters

Go down

I have a question about the forums and categories. [solved] Empty I have a question about the forums and categories. [solved]

Post by MillM April 15th 2008, 10:53 pm

Hello.

I just have a quick question.

I wanted to know if I could make my forums appear very small with a box under my categories as shown here:http://micechat.com/forums/ under the miceage dicussions.

I have something similiar to that and it takes up alot of space having it the way I have it.
MillM
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

I have a question about the forums and categories. [solved] Empty Re: I have a question about the forums and categories. [solved]

Post by MillM April 15th 2008, 11:16 pm

Question Anybody know? Question
MillM
Forumember

Back to top Go down

I have a question about the forums and categories. [solved] Empty Re: I have a question about the forums and categories. [solved]

Post by travis_cooper April 15th 2008, 11:21 pm

Double/triple posting isn't allowed in this forum unless it has been 24 hours or more since your last post. Please be patient and when somebody who comes along that knows the answer I'm sure they will be happy to help.

As far as I know you there isn't anything already built in to do this for you. However, the description for the forum category can take html, so you can put any html code you want in there. You could create something like this yourself you would just have to be responsible for maintaining the links in the description if you added/changed/removed sub forums in the category.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Forumember

Male Posts : 698

http://photochallenge.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MillM April 15th 2008, 11:23 pm

Sorry about that.

I have Discussions category with different kinds of categories.Instead of them all showing,is there anyway to make them sub forums to the category?
MillM
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by travis_cooper April 15th 2008, 11:28 pm

Yes, from your discussions category just add a new category, rather than a forum, then in that sub category you can add new forums, this will give you two levels. You can then go to the admin panel->general->hierarchy and there you have options to choose from as how the layout will look. Choose the one that you think looks the best. I have done what I think you are trying to do. Go to my forum, it is the website link in my profile, and go to the home page. You'll notice I have a challenges category with a challenge entries sub category and then forums within that. For the layout option I chose the medium option in the split categories on index section on that hierarchy page I showed you how to get to.

ETA: Like I said you could use the description field, so in my case the challenge entries category's description, to add links to the forums so it looks like the example you showed before. Hmm... I guess you can't get it to look quite like that, since you are limited on the number of characters you can use in that description. So I guess the answer to your question is probably no, you can't really get it to look like you want.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by MillM April 15th 2008, 11:36 pm

Ok Thanks! I am pretty sure I got it.

I chose: Keep Categories on index-Full

Is that right?
MillM
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by travis_cooper April 15th 2008, 11:40 pm

If that is how you like it, just go to your index and see if it is doing what you want. That will give you the most amount of packing, so you will have the least amount of clutter, and information for that matter, shown on the index page.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by MillM April 15th 2008, 11:45 pm

Hmm... [ Sorry, im new to this LOL XD ]

Well Its Kinda what I wanted,just you have to click on it to see the sub forums.

Thank you very much,and have a nice day Smile
MillM
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by travis_cooper April 15th 2008, 11:46 pm

No problem.

As this issue appears to be solved I will mark it as such and lock it.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Forumember

Back to top Go down